Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sun Roofs?

Views : 1667

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 28th, 2014, 17:33   #11
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

OED says.

Roof. noun ( plural roofs ). 1The structure forming the upper covering of a building or vehicle:

But dictionaries just record language theydon't dictate spelling.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2014, 08:31   #12
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

My old GLT Saloon (MRV 860 Y) had a manual sliding metal sunroof. It was 'gaffer-taped' when I bought the car due to leaks. Sure that was a gen Volvo fit.

My first Volvo was a Torslanda (H 733 ENH), it had a tilt only (manual) smoked glass sunroof. I thought it was a 'Torslanda thing' but later learnt than some Tors models did and some didn't. No idea now if it was a factory or aftermarket fit.
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2014, 09:55   #13
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Smile Rooves OR Roofs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
OED says.

Roof. noun ( plural roofs ).
You are quite correct Stephen, but it also says (at least, my copy does) 'or disp. rooves'.

When I replied to 'JackSpaniel's' original question I had no idea that my spelling would open another discussion - but it does illustrate the depth and breadth of our forum!

It seems to me that, while 'rooves' is equally correct, it is considered by the OED to be 'disp' (meaning not in current useage) and that, by implication, 'roofs' is the preferred 'modern' spelling!

As a relic of an earlier age myself, I'm not only sticking with 'rooves' but also hoping to have mine open today.

Last edited by john.wigley; Jul 29th, 2014 at 10:03. Reason: Remove misplaced icon
john.wigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2014, 11:57   #14
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Thank you. I was too lazy to get the paper full OED off the shelf, and I did not transfer my PC version to this PC. I relied on OED via Google.

I never really learnt the abbreviations et cetera. Does disp. (a latinism?) mean that rooves is an earlier usage? Do the OED example quotes indicate rooves as an earlier usage?

I rather like early usage spells.

Anyway, all of it is curiously interesting but none of it is definitive.

Edit: Oops. You have already explained disp.

Old Jul 29th, 2014, 12:09   #15
heckflosse
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooble View Post
If a saloon has a sunroof it is probably factory, quite a lot of saloons were equipped with a metal hand-cranked tilt and slide roof from the factory. There was an accessory kit to convert it to electric operation (basically a blanking plate + motor that fit over the winder and a dash switch, this might even have become standard-fit later on? I've never owned a saloon, so I'm open to corrections.

A factory fit sunroof on estates is incredibly rare. I would have said nonexistent, but last time I made that claim somebody popped up and said they'd seen one. either way, 99.999% of sunroofs on estates are aftermarket, and worth avoiding.

The only factory roofs were metal tilt + slide, anything with a glass pop-up style one is a retrofit. Some were offered by dealers even, but they're generally still awful. I've stripped two cars out which were so equipped, and in both cases I found that the installer of the sunroof, finding the transverse reinforcing bar (which runs between the b-pillars and provides strength in case of side impact or rollover) was in the way, had neatly solved the problem by cutting it out and throwing it away. I don't want to thing what that must have done for the impact resistance of the car.
The official Volvo accessory roof instructions for a 240 told you to carefully chisel that strengthener beam undone, then refit about 6" back with self tappers.
I kid you not, I did this in the late 80s in a main dealers after going on the fitting course at Daventry.

Appalling.
And that was when Volvo was a high quality car( now it is merely a high price car?)

No sunroof is always best, they are the invention of the devil and devalue any classic.

Last edited by heckflosse; Jul 29th, 2014 at 12:09. Reason: missing words
heckflosse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to heckflosse For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 15:12   #16
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Three years later and....

Whilst replacing fuses 4 and 6 with inline blade fuses recently I found that the metal tilt slide sunroof power was from fuse 6 (Fuel Relay EEK) and with a 30 amp inline fuse "protecting" a modest capacity wire. Any fault in the sunroof electrics might have stopped the car. Consequently I conclude it is not factory fitted. I have changed the power source, and it is fused at 8 amps now.

It does inevitably use some of the area between the B pillars.
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 15:53   #17
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul240480 View Post
...No idea now if it was a factory or aftermarket fit.
A glass sunhatch/moonroof was offered in the Volvo accessory catalogue and some dealers may have fitted them to give the car more showroom appeal. I have a new old stock one still in it's box with instructions in my spares cache.

Jon.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2017, 08:28   #18
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I think there ought to be a distinction in name between a solid opening or sliding panel, which gives optional ventilation with sun, and a tilting glass panel which gives optional ventilation but permanent sun whether you want it or not.

Mine's got the latter, but I wouldn't have it from choice. On a very sunny day it would be nice not to have the sun beating down even when parked.

One use however is one can keep an eye on the security of anything tied on the roof rack.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2017, 09:39   #19
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

My goodness, doesn't time fly?!

In addition to our V70, we also have a 1996 Saab 9000 equipped with an electrically-operated, factory-fitted, glass, tilt or slide sun-roof, that incorporates a blind which pulls forward beneath the sun-roof.

This feature not only enables one to enjoy the sun when the roof is closed, but can be slid forward in the circumstances described by 'Clifford Pope' in the penultimate paragraph of his last post, thus preventing the discomfort to which he refers.

Apart from a failed switch, now replaced, our roof has always been leak and trouble free and is, in our view, an attractive feature of the car.

Regards, John.
Old Aug 31st, 2017, 09:55   #20
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
A glass sunhatch/moonroof was offered in the Volvo accessory catalogue and some dealers may have fitted them to give the car more showroom appeal. I have a new old stock one still in it's box with instructions in my spares cache.

Jon.
Should have mentioned this is a genuine Volvo one. An aside, I do not like the factory fitted roof in the 700s/900s as it compromises headroom and the height of the door aperture - don't know whether it's the case with 200s - my 245 is sunroofless !

Jon.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote