Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Windscreen for 164, will a 240 screen fit?

Views : 1597

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 18th, 2007, 21:35   #1
mark164esaab

Default Windscreen for 164, will a 240 screen fit?

Hello,

Will 240 windscreen fit a 164, the part numbers are the same, up to 1978 on the 240, where the 240 part number changes.

I have just moved from the Uk to Vancouver, and bought a 164e, 1975, very solid, but the windscreen is cracked badly and needs replacing, ive contacted every man and his dog in Canada and the USA, no joy, even Volvo cant get me one. The part number is not available, and I cant find second hand. The glass places say the part number for a 240 screen changes in 1978, so will a 240 screen from 1978 onwards still fit a 164, I dont want to have it taken out and realise that the later 240 screen wont fit, then im really stuffed,

Any help really appreciated.

Mark
mark164esaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 22:12   #2
john h
VOC Member

Wink

Hi Mark,

I also own a 164, so I'm interested in your query.

I do think the later 240 screen would fit, but that's only a hunch. If you don't get a definitive answer here, you might be able to buy a used late 240 screen cheaply, then hold it up against the 164, screen still unstalled but with the trim removed.

That should tell you whether to go ahead and order a new one.

John
john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 22:36   #3
Triple-S
How Old?

If you were still a UK citizen I could have helped you a few weeks ago. However, I've recently had a double-dose of bad luck with my spare 164 screens, so maybe its a good job you've swam away!

When moving out of my barn-store I knocked a relatively light length of steel bar which was leaning upright some feet away, and it swung straight round onto a screen, cracking it in two. Then during the most carefull of loading and packing the Transit van the following week (carrying spare engines, bumpers, doors etc) I made sure the remaining screen could not possibly be touched by anything if we hit a pothole. Wrapped in blanket, we stood it on end near the back, cossetted all round by more blankets. What did we find upon unloading - this one too had cracked right across the middle due seemingly just due to its own weight.

The moral of the lament: be very careful of original screens - try to make a cradle for them, supporting both ends but especially the centre. I only have one left now, so definately not for sale!

Paul
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 01:02   #4
mark164esaab

Thats not good to hear, and its a big worry, if I buy a screen, how do I transport it safely, especially in the car, maybe if I find one nearby I can get an autoglass place to come and fit it there at the sellers. A guy in the States has one for $50, but it will probably cost $400 to get it to me, in one piece, or maybe not

Mark
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 01:07   #5
mark164esaab

Hi, thanks for the info, I have now been told the later 240 screens are 2/10 ths of an inch bigger than the early 164/240 screens, I dont know if they will fit the 164, or even if they do, will the trim fit back on. With the screen out there may be enough room for a slightly bigger screen to fit in the gap, but I dont know if whatever fixes the trim on will work, if anyone knows, I would really like to hear.

Mark
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 09:15   #6
malb

Hi, I have a Nov 77 245 which has been without screen trim for last three screens (about 15 years). Screen rests on on two rubber blocks at the base and is retained/sealed with a mastic compound. I understand that the body pressings in this area are the same from late 140/160 right through the 240 series.

There is a cavity between the screen recess pressed into the bodywork and the screen which is about 3/8 to 1/2 inch all of the way around the screen.

If the size difference is only 0.2 inches, the screen should fit into the recess without hassles. With regard to the trim, on the 240 it uses a 2 piece clip set, with a U shaped component fitted to the edge of the screen befor the mastic, and different clip inside the trim. Once the screen mastic has set, the trim clips are alligned to the channel clips already on the screen and a light tap locks them in place. Its not uncommon to replace the full set of clips when replacing the scren.

malb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 15:48   #7
Pigeon
Volvo-loving biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark164esaab View Post
if I buy a screen, how do I transport it safely
Build up blocks of expanded polystyrene into a hump that matches the curve of the inside of the screen, and put the screen on top of the hump, so it is lying essentially flat, outside face upwards, with the inside face supported on the polystyrene.

You will of course need the large flat load area of a Volvo estate

Be kind to pigeons
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 19:11   #8
mark164esaab

Thanks for all your help, ive since found out from various people, and also the 164 register in Sweden, that any 200 series screen will fit the 164, (apart from the 262c screen, I had a metallic blue 262c in the uk, and a crack in that screen would not have been good) the only screen that wont fit was the early 140 screen which apparently wasnt bonded in, so in theory its going to be easy to get a second hand screen for about $100, so fifty quid aint bad to have to pay, and about 80 quid to have it fitted.

Mark
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 13:33   #9
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

All the 240 screens will fit. You can even fit the later screen that does not use the crome trim to save hassle.

Some 164's and 140's had a smaller screen held in with a rubber. i've only seen a couple but they are out there. These could still be replaced with a bonded screen
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 17:01   #10
marcmarel

I just put a 1989 windscreen in a 1971 145 using the rubber from a 1970 145. I think the glass is all the same size from '66 to '93, only the way it connects to the vehicle changes.

I had the '70 and '71 side by side. The window opening for the rubber is 5 mm wider on all sides. You can not pull the rubber in a window opening intended for a bonded screen. Fortunately you can cut the opening back 5 mm.
marcmarel is offline   Reply With Quote