Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 960 2.5 timing belt / skipped one tooth

Views : 2218

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 11th, 2023, 13:31   #11
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoineBa View Post
I heard no specific noise when the engine went down, but I guess death could be silent. I guess fining a new engine could be cheaper than rebuilding this one...
Do you know if it is a 6 cylinder or a 4 cylinder? I just read that some 960 came with the b204gt engine in some markets, france included.
Old Apr 11th, 2023, 13:52   #12
AntoineBa

Hello Salvador, unfortunately, it is an inline 6 2.5L 24V (white block), which is an interference engine (like the B230 16V red block)
AntoineBa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AntoineBa For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 11th, 2023, 14:11   #13
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Hello Salvador, unfortunately, it is an inline 6 2.5L 24V (white block), which is an interference engine (like the B230 16V red block)
I know it's an interference engine either way. I was just asking if it was a whiteblock or a redblock, because if it was a 16v redblock you would be better swapping for an 8v redblock engine than getting another 16v.

Let's hope it isn't too damaged.
Old Apr 11th, 2023, 14:21   #14
AntoineBa

Thanks Forrest,

I must say I am quit desperate, I had spent a lot of time (and money) trying to get this car back to a good condition... I would be very reluctant to part the car, it is against my thoughts. I do not know what I will be doing, I guess I will first try to install a new belt + tensioner. As for refurbishing the head, this issue is that I do not have the skills (of course I could learn), but neither the time, as I do not live where the car is located. I did not want to gamble with the timing belt, it was last changed beginning of 2017, at first I focused on kilometers done since (about 25K only), and then realised that time was also a parameter, but too late.
Old Apr 11th, 2023, 14:36   #15
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Thanks Forrest,

I must say I am quit desperate, I had spent a lot of time (and money) trying to get this car back to a good condition... I would be very reluctant to part the car, it is against my thoughts. I do not know what I will be doing, I guess I will first try to install a new belt + tensioner. As for refurbishing the head, this issue is that I do not have the skills (of course I could learn), but neither the time, as I do not live where the car is located. I did not want to gamble with the timing belt, it was last changed beginning of 2017, at first I focused on kilometers done since (about 25K only), and then realised that time was also a parameter, but too late.
Do what forrest advised you to and if the engine is damaged, it might not be too damaged, so maybe a rebuild wont be too expensive. If you don't have the skills you probably need to pay someone to do it.
The thing with these cars, the 960, at least based on my observations here in catalunya, is that the engine is the first thing to go. All the ones I test drove had bad leaks. So maybe buying a parts car to get an engine might not be a viable option, or a viable one might be hard to find. But you might find an engine in good condition from a scrapyard. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.
Old Apr 11th, 2023, 14:52   #16
360beast
Go redblock or go home

It would be cheaper and easier to just get a borescope for your phone, pull the plugs and turn the engine over with the camera down the hole to see if the valves are bent, you could even try and go through the inlet manifold by taking the inlet trunking off of the throttle body and sticking it down there to see the valve stem and see if the seat is seated properly.

This will give you an idea of what I mean.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pancellent-...73844389&psc=1
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 11th, 2023, 15:32   #17
AntoineBa

Thanks Salvador, I will look into this after I will have had the time to check the current engine. Actually what you say about leaks on those engine is true, mine was also leaking oil, there are many seals on this engine. I had managed to solve the leaks on mine...
Old Apr 11th, 2023, 15:33   #18
AntoineBa

Dear 360 beast, this is an excellent idea! Thanks!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AntoineBa For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 11th, 2023, 15:52   #19
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Dear 360 beast, this is an excellent idea! Thanks!
There are borescopes on amazon that have a addon to the tip that is a mirror. Those are the most indicated to check valves because if you go in through the spark plug hole you will see the top of the piston whilst you want to see the reverse. There comes the little mirror tip.
Old Apr 11th, 2023, 16:29   #20
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvadorP View Post
There are borescopes on amazon that have a addon to the tip that is a mirror. Those are the most indicated to check valves because if you go in through the spark plug hole you will see the top of the piston whilst you want to see the reverse. There comes the little mirror tip.
The one I linked to has a mirror and a few other bits, plus it can take photos

The reason I say about the borescope is because you can waste hours fitting a cambelt and if the valves are bent they aren't going to collide with the pistons again and they might not get stuck going up and down through the guide so there's a potential to waste quite a few hours and money for nothing.

Last edited by 360beast; Apr 11th, 2023 at 16:31.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post: