Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 1.9D won't rev freely and puffs blue smoke

Views : 4474

Replies : 91

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 7th, 2018, 20:03   #71
bobthecabbage
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Diesel View Post
I've just checked it after having the car running for a minute at most, after replacing the rear discs and pads, and funnily enough it still has a vacuum problem. Has a slight vacuum, but not much. The shut off valve only moves slightly.

Would that be why the car boosts when it's been running for a while, but doesn't boost 100% when it's just been starting/not run long?
Probably!

I think the black cannister has some sort of spring loaded bellows inside it (something to provide a vacuum after the engine is switched off), so potentially that could have a hole in it causing the vacuum loss.

Does the open port on the solenoid for the shut off valve have vacuum when the car is running?

Last edited by bobthecabbage; Oct 7th, 2018 at 20:06.
bobthecabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2018, 10:55   #72
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Diesel View Post
I've just checked it after having the car running for a minute at most, after replacing the rear discs and pads, and funnily enough it still has a vacuum problem. Has a slight vacuum, but not much. The shut off valve only moves slightly.

Would that be why the car boosts when it's been running for a while, but doesn't boost 100% when it's just been starting/not run long?
Located under the black vacuum chamber is a solenoid which activates the shut off valve. Remove this solenoid, clean it with carb cleaner and once dried out get some PTFE spray in there (WD40 & 3in1 do a dry PTFE range). Do the same with the boost control valve (N75) on the bulkhead and ensure all rubber hoses going to both valves are in good nick. Secure them with small cable ties if needs be. Let us know if there's any improvement!

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 18:23   #73
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
You need a vacuum gauge to really tell mate.
I'm taking the car with me to work tomorrow. Gonna get the scan tool to read some codes from the car and see what I get back, in case anything new has popped up. Plus there's a couple of blokes there who are fimiliar with the F9Q engines, so I'm gonna see I can get them to look it over and see what they think.

Hopefully we should have a definite answer tomorrow. Or at least be closer to solving the vacuum issue
Dirty Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dirty Diesel For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 19:55   #74
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecabbage View Post
Probably!

I think the black cannister has some sort of spring loaded bellows inside it (something to provide a vacuum after the engine is switched off), so potentially that could have a hole in it causing the vacuum loss.

Does the open port on the solenoid for the shut off valve have vacuum when the car is running?
I took it to work yesterday, got one of the lads to look over them. Luckily he was a master tech at Renau and knows these engines well, and after reading the codes, the MAF sensor fault code has appeared again! He said to try a genuine Volvo MAF. Recommended trying one of a car from a scrap yard and see whether that works.

He thought it was the new maf being dodgy. When he removed the pipe going to the actuator, the actuator arm did move back to a resting position, like it would if it was under vacuum, then when he put the pipe back on, it rose back up again. Yet the car still runs like a sack of spuds.

Still confused about it to be honest. Would be nice to be able to pick up a parts car! But alas, the street is cramped enough as is.
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 20:09   #75
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Pattern part mafs are a minefield... Lots of dodgy stuff, you can get a decent one, but the odds of getting a bad one are high.
So yeah, a genuine one would be required to eliminate definitively.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 20:16   #76
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
Pattern part mafs are a minefield... Lots of dodgy stuff, you can get a decent one, but the odds of getting a bad one are high.
So yeah, a genuine one would be required to eliminate definitively.
I purposely went for an OE Quality part from Euro's because of this haha. Got a Delphi sensor. Guess it'll be best to go for a genuine Volvo one. I was gonna check the part number from my old sensor, against the new one, just incase i got one that was for the D4192T4 instead of mine (D4192T3), but I've seen Gatos post on here showing that the part numbers for the MAF sensors for both engines were the same, so that kinda eliminates that pretty much.

Plus the heavens have opened for most of the weekend so I'm screwed
The Following User Says Thank You to Dirty Diesel For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 21:13   #77
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Delphi ought to be ok tbh...
Then again, ecp can turn out some questionable budget ****, might not be delphi but chinese **** that ecp have a license to sell using the name, or, there have been cases of counterfeit stuff from ecp...
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 22:40   #78
Reynard

Not sure if this is relevant to the original thread but had a good experience with MAF sensors recently that went like this:-

Have 2 V40's 1.9Ds First one, reliable and used for the last 5 years and another one been stood for 12 months that is waiting to replace the original

The one that had been parked up developed an issue when I went to move it a while ago.....blue smoke.....no power

Read the codes and one showed the MAF. Thought it a good idea, take the one off the reliable car and put it on the problem car. No improvement.

Put the "good" MAF back onto the reliable car and that resulted in the same problem as the other car..... blue smoke and no power.

The Fix was to disconnect the battery overnight, let the ECU forget all about it. Next day, no issue. On start up, the car checks everything from scratch including the MAF which is fine so hey presto.

Although you can erase codes and think the ECU will underhand, sometimes it refuses to forget so will still give a problem. Disconnecting and clearing it's memory seems to fix it.
Reynard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reynard For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 22:45   #79
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Very good point!
If batt hasnt been disconnected after replacement, the ecu may think,its still working with a faulty unit. Let it forget and learn from scratch...
Old Oct 13th, 2018, 09:09   #80
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
Not sure if this is relevant to the original thread but had a good experience with MAF sensors recently that went like this:-

Have 2 V40's 1.9Ds First one, reliable and used for the last 5 years and another one been stood for 12 months that is waiting to replace the original

The one that had been parked up developed an issue when I went to move it a while ago.....blue smoke.....no power

Read the codes and one showed the MAF. Thought it a good idea, take the one off the reliable car and put it on the problem car. No improvement.

Put the "good" MAF back onto the reliable car and that resulted in the same problem as the other car..... blue smoke and no power.

The Fix was to disconnect the battery overnight, let the ECU forget all about it. Next day, no issue. On start up, the car checks everything from scratch including the MAF which is fine so hey presto.

Although you can erase codes and think the ECU will underhand, sometimes it refuses to forget so will still give a problem. Disconnecting and clearing it's memory seems to fix it.
Disconnecting the battery fixed it?! Wow, I nevee would have thought that. So should I disconnect the battery this morning and then plug her back in, say tonight or tomorrow morning and see what happens?

Tags
blue smoke, lack of power, oil burning, slow acceleration