Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine stopped no obvious reason

Views : 477

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 17th, 2017, 07:16   #1
Gosh
Gosh

Unhappy Engine stopped no obvious reason

My C70 just stopped running, no noises, no smoke, no tainting of oil or water, it has low compression but no indications of any damage to engine internals, timing belt is near new and turning over properly.
Do'es anyone have a clue? I have not heard of a motor losing compression on all cylinders at the same time with no smoke, noise etc.
Gosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2017, 07:37   #2
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

What year is your car, what engine is in it , is it petrol or diesel, is it manual or automatic?

In addition, if you look further down the forum you will see that it is subdivided into specific models and years.

This is where you will get most help for your particular problem if you post your question in the right section.

There are two that cover the C70 so select the correct one for your year.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic

Last edited by S60D5-185; Oct 17th, 2017 at 07:40.
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 17th, 2017, 08:21   #3
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Also what do you mean 'just stopped running'? When did it last run? Did it stop while it was running or did you stop and it will not restart? and if it won't restart what does it do? I can think of one scenario but without knowing the details of the car and what actually happened I could be totally wrong.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2017, 04:13   #4
Gosh
Gosh

Thanks David, It is a 2008 T5 AUTO and it just shut down when doing 120 Kph on a highway and did not restart. Our mechanics cannot find any visible issue except the compression has dropped on all 5 cylinders? Timing belt OK, Cam turning, put camera into cylinders and no visible problem!! THEY HAVE BEEN SCRATCHING THIER HEADS FOR TWO WEEKS NOW!!
Gosh
Gosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gosh For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2017, 11:54   #5
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Well that counts out the scenario I was thinking of, dying at 120kph (75mph) is an odd one. I'm not familiar with that engine so can't really give any great advice, but I wonder if the low compressions is a side effect of it not running rather than the cause, presumably they have checked for fuel and sparks are getting to the cylinders and at the right times?

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2017, 13:36   #6
Proghound
Volvo and Audi owner

Thinking along the lines of, cambelt wasn't fitted or tensioned properly and has jumped a tooth or two, not enough to cause interference but enough to cut compression. There should be positioning marks that would show that up. Any fault codes coming up on the car? (would need scanning with Volvo's VIDA software).

Current: 2012 C70 D3 SE Lux Solstice Geartronic, Caspian Blue.
Also: 2002 Audi A2 TDI SE, Crystal Blue
Previous: 2008 C70 D5 SE manual, Flint Grey.
Proghound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2017, 19:37   #7
The Thong
VOC Member

Random thought, is there a fuel cut off switch on it? My Sierra did that, just died suddenly and when the RAC came out, he reset the switch and all was well again.

Fuel pump ok?
Old Oct 19th, 2017, 19:44   #8
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosh View Post
Thanks David, It is a 2008 T5 AUTO and it just shut down when doing 120 Kph on a highway and did not restart. Our mechanics cannot find any visible issue except the compression has dropped on all 5 cylinders? Timing belt OK, Cam turning, put camera into cylinders and no visible problem!! THEY HAVE BEEN SCRATCHING THIER HEADS FOR TWO WEEKS NOW!!
Gosh
You need to link it up to Vida, it should give you a better picture.
Old Oct 23rd, 2017, 20:01   #9
morsing
Premier Member

Sounds like your mechanics are in the wrong jobs tbh...
'70 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
'95 Saab 9000 CSE 2.0 Turbo Auto
morsing is offline   Reply With Quote