Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Failed mot on CO emissions tried everything stumped

Views : 1097

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 20th, 2017, 21:37   #1
MissSpentYouth

Default Failed mot on CO emissions tried everything stumped

Hi All, I have a 2001 s80 2.4 20V petrol 170 BHP auto with 77K miles in brilliant condition runs perfect. Just failed its MOT on high CO about 1.5% were the pass mark is less than 0.3% so well over. Both HC and Lambda passed.

Just one curious code on Veda which relates to the upper Lamba sensor heater circuit. Sure enough the Lambda sensor heater circuit was open circuit so I replaced it but was surprised to find the same error come back again shortly afterwards. One side of the heater circuit is supplied with a 12V feed where as the other is switched to ground through the ECU, seems my ECU might be faulty as it doesn't seem to ground out the heater circuit, so as a temporary fix I have disconnected the ECU and hard wired the heater to ground. Made no difference to my CO reading I don't think the heater circuit is required once the CAT is up to temperature.

Things I have checked, plugs all good and the right colour, new air filter, smoke tested the induction system for leaks. MAP sensor readings look good and in spec as do the MAF sensor readings. Tested the PVC system with a glove over the engine filler all good showing a vacuum. Tested the purge valve no leaks. Checked the cam timing all good.

The car only gets used a few times a week and for short trips so I took it along the motorway locked in 3rd for 15 minutes to cook the CAT this improved things significantly but still a fail about 0.8% CO.

Put on a new after market CAT this made the CO worse back up to 1.5% so just fetched that off again and put the original one back. Just tried a new lower Lambda sensor in desperation and will do some more longer trips before taking back for testing on Monday.

If I disconnect the lambda sensor i.e run the car open loop then I see about 0.8V from the sensor so the car would run rich left to its own devices. If I reconnect it the value drops to 0 as I think the ECU must load it up and use it in a current sensing mode rather than voltage but I could be wrong on this one.

I am completely out of ideas on this one ? Car runs perfectly idle nice and steady no hint of a misfire, compression good, engine is mint as is the rest of the car.

wondering if I could add a small air leak downstream of the MAF to see if that would get it to run leaner, however I would have thought the Lambda sensor would pick that up and just correct for it in any case.
MissSpentYouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2017, 07:19   #2
Simon Jones
Premier Member

The chaps in the P2 section may be able to advise: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19
2001 V70 D5 - sold
2000 V70 Classic 2.4 - sold
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2017, 07:22   #3
tt82
Forum Support Team

Moved to correct section.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2017, 08:05   #4
The Edge

Needs a Vida session to see whats going on. My money would be a coil pack on its way out.

The other thing to do is before testing give it a good (legal of course) thrashing for 10 minutes or so to get everything hot.

Long term you might consider a terra clean session or equivalent.
The Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2017, 08:22   #5
MissSpentYouth

I did give it a good session to clean things out and that improved things but still a fail.

If I had a faulty coil pack would that not cause my HC levels to fail as well ?

I have been though it with VIDA cant spot anything wrong with it at all :-(
MissSpentYouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2017, 10:48   #6
davebb
Premier Member

Hi I am sorry if it sounds silly , have you fitted a new air filter, sorry I have just seen that you have a new air filter,
Has it been remapped ?
Dave

Last edited by davebb; Oct 22nd, 2017 at 10:52.
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2017, 11:35   #7
davebb
Premier Member

get the injectors tested and cleaned , is it running the stock injectors,
Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2017, 12:42   #8
oragex
Premier Member

You don't mention what mpg city/motorway does it get?

The following things can affect combustion/exhaust gases

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOx3Q8vqoz4
leaking flexible downpipe
clogged PCV
coolant thermostat

+ 1 for the injectors with an ultrasonic cleaning machine, this will also help your fuel consumption so it's a good investment at these miles.
+ 1 for a VIda check
Old Oct 22nd, 2017, 14:26   #9
Whyman
Premier Member

Had this on my wife's CRV a few years ago. Treated it with Forte injector cleaner and a good thrashing to clear it out. Also make sure that it is really well warmed up prior to the test ideally with one of the MOT stations that give appointments and make sure you arrive just before your time so it does not have time to cool down.

Since this one instance we have not had ant trouble again.
Old Oct 22nd, 2017, 15:38   #10
Whyman
Premier Member

Duplicate post?

Last edited by Whyman; Oct 22nd, 2017 at 15:40.
Whyman is offline   Reply With Quote