Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 1.6d DRIVe power loss

Views : 520

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 22nd, 2017, 16:25   #1
malong

Default V40 1.6d DRIVe power loss

I have seen a few posts about such issues but all seem slight variations on a theme so I thought I would post about the experience I am having to see if anybody can directly relate.

The power loss was initially intermittent and was apparent from low revs with the need to keep the car at high revs to get it moving along.
It than came to the point it was constantly low, and we changed the MAS (following a code read). The problem seemed to disappear, however 3 weeks on and it is back with vengance, getting same code i.e. P1102 and P2002 but am reluctant to replace sensor again as it does not seem this would be route cause.

I did take all airtake components out of the car yesterday and gave filter and case a good clean, no difference.

Any questionss would be welcomed and thoughts appreciated.

Kind regards SM
malong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2017, 11:10   #2
westbayaab

Have you / when was fuel filter last changed ?
westbayaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2017, 11:56   #3
malong

Thanks for response. I have not changed it, and I do not know when it was last changed.......worth a shot?
Old Oct 24th, 2017, 10:32   #4
malong

Default still trouble

I did not know when it was last changed so I thought it would be prudent to change the fuel filter, so replaced it last night. £45 lighter in the pocket now, and my good lady reported back this morning that the car is still suffering.
One thing she did say was that it felt better on trip back from school, than on the way there but still losing power.
Old Oct 24th, 2017, 10:34   #5
malong

Default start/stop

One thing I have not mentioned is that the start/stop feature does not work on this car, just thought I would highlight it in case there is any possible link.
Old Oct 24th, 2017, 18:00   #6
malong

Default Egr

Removed EGR, looked in pretty good shape. I would say that this has been replaced at sometime during the cars life, but as it was on the bench I stripped it and gave it a good clean out.

Little test drive.......still no power

Have to get to about 3k revs before it will pull at all!
Old Oct 25th, 2017, 14:06   #7
malong

My good lady reports that the car is much worse today, so maybe I disturbed something during yesterdays efforts. I took the fuel filter out to make access easier to remove EGR valve, removed valve, cleaned and then refitted everything.
Old Oct 25th, 2017, 16:27   #8
malong

Anybody got any idea of what I could try next, short of swapping the car.
Old Oct 25th, 2017, 20:25   #9
westbayaab

Sounds like you need to 'force' a DPF regeneration Do you have VIDA ? or know someone who has it ? You have to run the car at least 2600 rpm for approx 20 mins if you don't (have VIDA)... i.e a longish run on the motorway at 2600+ for 20 minutes ...

If you do it through VIDA the software will increase the revs automatically and it still takes approx 20 mins ... the engine has to achive a certain temp( and maintian it) together with the predesigned rev range ,again maintained, for the duration. The benfit of using VIDA is that it tells you when it successfully completes...

Stop/Start is also dependant on battery charge, Stop/Start cars have two batteries and both must be fully charged to allow correct function ... together with 'healthy' DPF ... short journy's are a 'killer' of these systems ...

By the way , I was told to buy VOLVO fuel filters as this was most important , so, I bought VOLVO Geniune Spares , blue box etc, upon opening said box I was greeted with ... A genuine MANN branded filter which of course is half the price if you go to GSF / Eurocarparts etc....

Last edited by westbayaab; Oct 25th, 2017 at 20:46.
westbayaab is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to westbayaab For This Useful Post: