Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2005 d5 185 glow plug issue

Views : 9038

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 19th, 2017, 17:42   #1
Tommyzoom85

Default 2005 d5 185 glow plug issue

My engine has struggled to start from cold since i have bought it around 5 months ago. I assumed it was probably a glow plug issue. So i changed them all (bosch brand new from europarts) its made no difference whatsoever. Now today i checked under the bonnet for the relay plug. It turns out there isn't one in the place where the diagram tells me its meant to be? Theres an empty space for a relay plug to be plugged in. I removed one from another space and tried inserting it in the glow plug one. It turns out that theres no metal inside where the relay plugs in so there's no actual connection. Ive also had a bulb meter into the glow plug cap that pushes onto the glow plug and turned the ignition on and it doesn't light up? Could someone please tell me why theres no relay in place and how i can resolve this issue? Thanks
Tommyzoom85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2017, 17:54   #2
Tommyzoom85

I must add, it starts fine when its hit and been running
Old Oct 21st, 2017, 14:45   #3
XC70Bob
XC70 SE lux D5

Hi

A bit research on the wiring diagrams shows 2005/2006 diesel should use a relay to control the glow plugs located in the engine bay fuse box
but in 2007 it was changed and the relay was replaced with the GCU ( glow plug control unit ? )

So its a bit odd that you don't have the relay wiring are you sure the connections are not in the fuse box may be pushed down out of sight ?
XC70Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2017, 20:15   #4
Tommyzoom85

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC70Bob View Post
Hi

A bit research on the wiring diagrams shows 2005/2006 diesel should use a relay to control the glow plugs located in the engine bay fuse box
but in 2007 it was changed and the relay was replaced with the GCU ( glow plug control unit ? )

So its a bit odd that you don't have the relay wiring are you sure the connections are not in the fuse box may be pushed down out of sight ?
Hi, im 100% certain that the relay box doesn't exist where its shown its meant to be. The terminal connections where the box plugs into arent there. The relay box just drops into the socket
Old Oct 21st, 2017, 20:32   #5
davebb
Premier Member

HI when you tested the power for the glow pugs,
what was the engine / outside temperature , the glow plugs will only be switched on at about 7c I am not to shore on the temp ,
so that my be why you have now power reading
get some one with vida to activate it for you or do the test when it is about 5c
Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to davebb For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2017, 23:43   #6
Tommyzoom85

Hi, regardless of the temperature outside, there is no relay for the glowplugs. There is a socket for which to be a relay to inserted, however, when a relay is inserted in the space specified for the glowplugs, there is no connection . Its metal onto plastic. This is what is baffling me
Old Oct 22nd, 2017, 03:32   #7
AndyB06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyzoom85 View Post
My engine has struggled to start from cold since i have bought it around 5 months ago. I assumed it was probably a glow plug issue
Glow plugs are only used when the ambient temperature is 7 degrees or below, so are unlikely to be the source of your cold starting issues. Poor cold starting has many possible causes.

You need to gather some data from a cold start - rpm, maf, fuel rail pressure and battery voltage are a good place to start. You can use an ELM327 reader device and connect this to an app, on a tablet or phone, to log data.
AndyB06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2017, 18:11   #8
Willow place

My glow plugs are activating NOW, i changed the Coolant Temperature Sensor,and that is above 5-7c , but I have found my starting problem was the Fuel filter !! So much for a Volvo service !! They told me they did not change it because it was still within the mileage limit ! ?
Willow place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 13:37   #9
cumbrianvolvo

Default Location of Relay

I have a similar issue, I have a Volvo V70 D5 2003. It has done only 270K and is very smooth. I had the glow plugs changed and battery last year. My car fails to start when cold I think it is the relay. But I cannot find it. In the fuse box (engine bay) there are numerous relays (not sure if this is the right place to look).

Can someone please tell me where it is , I have scoured the net for months and you guys are my last hope

Thank you Martin

Last edited by cumbrianvolvo; Feb 15th, 2018 at 13:55.
cumbrianvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 13:47   #10
XC70Bob
XC70 SE lux D5

As requested

XC70Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC70Bob For This Useful Post: