Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 598126

Replies : 2691

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 22nd, 2017, 19:31   #1641
Munse99

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
Do you have a Volvo FSH ? Sounds like you did not buy it from a Volvo dealer (otherwise it would have a Volvo Select cover for 12 months - and you say it is out of warranty 3 months after purchase). If FSH, should be no problem.
I didn't buy it from Volvo as they wanted another 3/4 thousand extra for the same model.
But it does have a FDSH though.
Munse99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2017, 23:06   #1642
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith85 View Post
Is the EGR replacement a recall issue or are some engines unaffected?
It's not a recall. It is 'generally understood' that Volvo will fix EGR issues post-warranty. The first D4 VEAs were manufactured week 46 / 2013. So, with transit times added, the first probably hit the UK market in January 2014. So far, there have been no reports on this Forum of Volvo NOT performing an EGR fix, but who knows how long this will continue for. That's why it could be a risk to go outside the dealer network for servicing (just my opinion).
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 12:28   #1643
K5 Gus

I was in for my 3 year service and MOT yesterday - I've had no EGR issues so far with my D4 VEA engine.

I asked what will happen if I do get the issue after the 3 year warranty was up - was it a dealer decision, or a Volvo UK decision, and as expected they replied it was always a Volvo UK decision, they just report what codes that have come up and VUK decide whether it's a warranty fix or a chargeable fix.

I also explained I do 95% A and B road driving, and drive it quite hard, and service guy thought it was very unlikely I would ever have the problem as it's nearly all down to slow stop/start city driving in his opinion.

I've decided not to take the extended warranty, so fingers crossed that I don't get the problem, and if I do VUK are sympathetic !
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 18:16   #1644
Considered1
Premier Member

I’d get that in writing or take the extended warranty. I don’t abuse my cars but certainly don’t hang around and mine still threw up the fault so i’d Expect a massive % of them to go eventually. If you are ever going to sell it then you may have problems. Or you just put £800 aside and hope Volvo take care of you.
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 18:49   #1645
K5 Gus

As I stated, it was a personal opinion, not a corporate ( dealership or VUK ) official policy, so no point in asking or getting it in writing.
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 21:08   #1646
NigelDay
Premier Member

I think we just have to wait for the first 'refusal' to pass judgement. The problem is, it may have already happened outside of the Forum and dealer network. VUK could always use 'servicing outside the dealer network' as an excuse to say £800 please. One reason for me to keep within the dealer network as I'll be keeping mine a few more years yet. 72k service today, all fine. I did have the EGR warring light at 62k, but this was the oxygen sensor sooted up, and a quick 'fix'. High mileage should help me (?), but it's probably still a bit of a lottery.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 22:00   #1647
Goose77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considered1 View Post
I sold mine recently with full Volvo history and the paperwork for the final EGR fix. I cheekily spoke to a dealer who had one for sale similar to mine to check if theirs had been done. They replied that ‘this one had been driven like a diesel should so wouldn’t have had any issues”. Told me everything about what I was up against.

I would not buy one without the paperwork confirmation or printout from Volvo that it had the final fix. It’s a £800 job.
Hi there,

Can you tell me what the "final fix" involved please?
My XC60 (64 plate, D4 VEA) engine light came on today. I have some concerns as I bought it from a Honda main dealer and its covered by a 1 year warranty through them but I can see this getting messy if it is the EGR problem.

I've owned the car since September so covered very few miles and most of the journeys are in stop start city traffic.

A point to note is that less than a week ago in a separate scenario, the engine oil light illuminated (not the same light as the check engine light). Some research pointed out that it could be related to the oil level being too high. I checked this using the dashboard control and it displayed that the level was ok - 1 increment below the maximum point. Upon next start up, the light did not come on and hasnt been on since.

However, since then I have noticed the slight smell of diesel in the cabin.

Then today the engine light came on....

Any advice on how to approach this would be gladly received.
Goose77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 22:35   #1648
NigelDay
Premier Member

Does the car have a Volvo FSH ? Hopefully yes. What was the date of first registration ? Is it still under three years old ? If yes to the questions, you need to get down to Mill Garages asap as it is a Volvo warranty issue and only Volvo can do the fix. Otherwise, revert to the Honda dealer and tell them it is almost certainly a 'well known Volvo EGR problem' and they need to liaise with Mill to get it sorted. The cost of the fix is around £800 so you need to get things in writing if 'promises' are made for any future work. Sorry if this sounds extra cautious. Having said all this, it could be something as simple as the oxygen sensor being sooted-up - as mine was at 62k, but I do high mileage and never short stop/start runs.
Here is the final fix:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...postcount=1539

Last edited by NigelDay; Nov 13th, 2017 at 22:44.
Old Nov 14th, 2017, 09:28   #1649
Considered1
Premier Member

If your engine warning light has come on i’d Get in touch with the folks you bought the car from pretty damn quick and ask their advice. By all means take it to Volvo for a second opinion or make sure The Honda guys know about this.

Any Volvo dealer can print out the cars history for you, and personally as Nigel says I would get it serviced at Volvo and see what they are prepare to do for you.

Last edited by Considered1; Nov 14th, 2017 at 09:37.
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2017, 10:44   #1650
Goose77

Hi,

Thank's for your reply.
To answer your questions:
1) The car has covered 34000 miles and has had 3 services to date. The last service was carried out by the Honda main dealer when I purchased it. The previous service was carried out by Mill Volvo and the first service I am unsure about as the book has the date and mileage but no stamp with just a 5 digit number handwritten where the stamp should be.

2) Date of first registration is: 11/10/2014 so just out of its 3 year warranty period.

I spoke to the Honda dealer where I bought it and explained the situation. They advised to take it to a local volvo dealer and have a diagnostic carried out. Who was paying for the diagnostic was not clear - they said it may be claimed back under their warranty depending upon the fault.

Then spoke to my local Mill Volvo, the person I spoke with was very helpful and has booked the car in for Friday. They are going to perform a code read for approx £50 and from there should be able to identify the problem.
He mentioned that there are various stages of a fix for this particular engine and it may just need an oxygen sensor cleaning and said that assistance may be available for a particular fault code. I'm presuming that he means the known EGR issue.

That's all for now......

After looking through the vehicle documents, I found that the first service was carried out by Donalds Volvo, so the history is 2 x volvo main dealer services and 1 x honda main dealer service.

Last edited by Goose77; Nov 14th, 2017 at 11:26. Reason: Further Information
Goose77 is offline   Reply With Quote