Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1.6D how to change fuel filter?

Views : 21274

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 5th, 2016, 00:01   #1
cameron1

Default 1.6D how to change fuel filter?

Hi guys

Has anyone changed their own fuel filter on a 1.6D?

how difficult or hard would you say it is.

I've been told that you need a fuel prime hand pump to complete the job but not sure the size i need. These hand pumps start at 6mm and go all the way up to 14mm

Does anyone know the right size ?

Thanks
Cameron
cameron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2016, 01:10   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

You don't need a hand primer of any size.
Just leave off the fuel return pipe and crank the engine until fuel comes out then reconnect the return hose.

Job done.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2016, 15:34   #3
JulianT
Volvo V60 1.6D e

You can get just the filter housing and cartridge as one or just the cartridge.
The unit comes out easily and there are 3 little torque screws to remove the cartridge.

Personally I'd be inclined to change the complete unit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS...gAAOSwnNBXamcf

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS...cAAOSwcu5UNl-x

As cheshired says, no bleeding needed, filling it with diesel first also helps.

It's a dead easy job.
Old Aug 5th, 2016, 18:22   #4
cameron1

thank you for your replies, much appreciated.

Correct me if i'm wrong but i dont think you can buy just the paper cartridge filter, they come as a complete unit.

Would love to know where to get hold of the paper filter cartridge?

Thanks
cameron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2016, 23:46   #5
JulianT
Volvo V60 1.6D e

No, it's not paper. It's a sort of tin. See the 2 links I posted you can see they are different. One is the complete unit the other just the filter inside.
Old Aug 6th, 2016, 19:43   #6
Bloders2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianT View Post
You can get just the filter housing and cartridge as one or just the cartridge.
The unit comes out easily and there are 3 little torque screws to remove the cartridge.

Personally I'd be inclined to change the complete unit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS...gAAOSwnNBXamcf

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS...cAAOSwcu5UNl-x

As cheshired says, no bleeding needed, filling it with diesel first also helps.

It's a dead easy job.
they are two different filter types.
first is used on the 16 valve engine (like Camerons) second type is for the 8 valve engine.
Thats how i understand it anyway.
Bloders2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 13:33   #7
sdays

Default Location of Fuel Filter

sorry to hijack this thread!

My wife's C30 just suffered instant loss of acceleration and won't get up past 30!

I've looked on here and seen the problem may be the fuel filter! as I'm at work and want to do this more or less as soon as I get in tonight, could someone please point out where the fuel filter is on the 1.6d engine? is it passenger side of engine bay?

Any help to make this as fast as possible is appreciated!!

Cheers,
Sam
sdays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2017, 13:44   #8
MrVol

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
You don't need a hand primer of any size.
Just leave off the fuel return pipe and crank the engine until fuel comes out then reconnect the return hose.

Job done.
I'm about to change my fuel filter and want to avoid a non-start situation afterwards.

Are you referring to the fuel return pipe where it connects to the fuel filter itself, or are you referring to the fuel return pipe further back from the filter towards the left of the engine?

Are you turning the ignition to the stage 2 position to get fuel to run out the pipe or are you turning the ignition all the way to the start position actually cranking the engine as if you were trying to start it?
MrVol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2017, 15:03   #9
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVol View Post
or are you referring to the fuel return pipe further back from the filter towards the left of the engine?
Yes, the one post engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVol View Post
Are you turning the ignition to the stage 2 position to get fuel to run out the pipe or are you turning the ignition all the way to the start position actually cranking the engine as if you were trying to start it?
I don't crank the engine, I use a vacuum pump but yes, cranking the engine is what a main dealer would do.
10 second (max) bursts then 30 seconds rest in between cranks if necessary.
There's no in tank pump to get the fuel flowing with ignition on so you must bring it through with a hand primer, vacuum pump or engine cranking.
Old Sep 22nd, 2017, 16:25   #10
MrVol

@ Cheshired5 - Cheers for the help. Can you help me identify the post engine bleed point on my engine, its different to the engine in the picture with the bleed point circled in yellow that was posted by someone else previously. I've attached this pic below.

Ive also attached a pic of my actual engine bay. My engine is in a 2009 model 1.6 DV6 volvo C30. Is the connection I need to disconnect to bleed, is it either of the two connections over near the left with either the white or the green connector?
[img]https://vgy.me/9pbxPO.jpg[/img

So my procedure will be to disconnect both connections off the old filter and the electrical connector, then fit in the new filter, then re-connect the electrical connector and both the hose connectors. Then, disconnect the connector at the bleed point and try cranking until I see fuel coming and then re-connect this bleed connector quickly and try starting the car. Is this correct?

I don't have a vacuum pump so will be using the cranking method. I bought the genuine filter at its expensive price so could really do with fitting it myself to at least save the labour. I always service my own cars but didn't have cars with this no in tank pump set-up. Cheers for the help

I'm struggling to post pics now, typical. Photobucket wont let me anymore and this sites upload attachments feature wont seem to let me either.

Last edited by MrVol; Sep 22nd, 2017 at 17:01.
MrVol is offline   Reply With Quote