Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Spare Keys

Views : 1254

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 9th, 2017, 12:44   #11
cpjitservices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I'll add a photo of the key later Bob.

Funny thing is i still have a green filler cap, just no key for it! When i bought the car, i was given a bent locker key and told it was the proper key for the cap! Yeah, right!

Volvo only supply the black cap now for about £18 i think but i particularly want the green one as the car was supplied with a green one from new and being a 1988 model suitable for unleaded should really have a green one.
Also round here a couple of filling stations have started doing Attended Service again and i can just imagine what would happen if i let them put fuel in the car - they'd see the black cap and assume (because everything else is these days) that it's a diseasel. Don't want the hassle, grief or other problems that would cause!
Thanks - can someone link me to the Volvo branded keys for the petrol cap? Id like to get Volvo branded ones. Also, my main key doesnt seem to fit my boot lock. Annoying as I dont always unlock my car to open the boot. I wonder if my car had a third key?

Yes, my key says Neiman or whatever it is on it. I shall ask about the Silca keys when I go and finally get ones cut for the Volvo
cpjitservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 13:44   #12
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
Also, my main key doesnt seem to fit my boot lock. Annoying as I dont always unlock my car to open the boot. I wonder if my car had a third key?
It's possible it's had the boot lock replaced, they have a habit of seizing up through lack of use, people use the central locking to unlock the car so the kids can get in while mum and dad put the shopping in the boot.

You could try squirting WD40 into the lock barrel (use the nozzle supplied with the WD40) and putting the key in, giving it a wiggle both ways, leave it a few days with another dose of WD soaking in there, repeat, eventually you may get some movement on it.

Don't hold your breath though, i've been trying this in my tailgate for several months now with no real progress. Still hopeful though!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 16:27   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
Pray Sir ... wot's a later style 760/940 key look like?
It looky-likey this :

Not sure if the 9xx got them as well but the later (88-on) 760s certainly did, not sure about the facelift 740s, never had one although all my pre-facelift 740s had the old Neiman keys. In fact one of them (think it was "Fluff" - F212UFL) the main door/ignition key actually operated the fuel cap if i jiggled it as i turned it.

Anyway, is it possible to get copies of thise at the likes of Timpsons etc?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 19:36   #14
tofufi
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks - can someone link me to the Volvo branded keys for the petrol cap? Id like to get Volvo branded ones. Also, my main key doesnt seem to fit my boot lock. Annoying as I dont always unlock my car to open the boot. I wonder if my car had a third key?

Yes, my key says Neiman or whatever it is on it. I shall ask about the Silca keys when I go and finally get ones cut for the Volvo
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151116201629

tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 14:32   #15
cpjitservices

Here is my main key,

Thanks I'll try some WD in the boot lock and see what happens.

Can anyone link me to some blanks I can get for my key (as pictured)?

Ta all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171010_142742 (1315 x 986).jpg (333.9 KB, 2 views)
cpjitservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 14:39   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Here is my main key,

Ta all.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KEY-CUTTIN...s__RTyk7C5BWKQ

Looks like the NN-29 option to me!

Old Oct 10th, 2017, 18:19   #17
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Here is my main key,

Ta all.
For a Silca blank that's a NE51 ... obtainable in the UK at any good locksmith!
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 16th, 2017, 12:24   #18
schicksal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
It looky-likey this :

Not sure if the 9xx got them as well but the later (88-on) 760s certainly did, not sure about the facelift 740s, never had one although all my pre-facelift 740s had the old Neiman keys. In fact one of them (think it was "Fluff" - F212UFL) the main door/ignition key actually operated the fuel cap if i jiggled it as i turned it.

Anyway, is it possible to get copies of thise at the likes of Timpsons etc?
This style of key comes from Silca blank NE66. I bought a new set of door locks with keys from the dealer when the ones on our 960 wore out and that's what they came with.
schicksal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to schicksal For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 16th, 2017, 13:28   #19
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Keys for Estate Boots.

Volvo can cut some estate boot lid keys to registration or VIN number (if the boot lock has not been changed). This applies to the later 960 and late 940 long slightly rounded boot handles.

The 740 and earlier 940 short square boot handles can not be replicated this way, but I understand that a GOOD locksmith can cut a key to the lock - doubtless at considerable expense.

I found the best answer for my 960 was a lock with matching key from a scrapyard, still scratching my head about my 760T and the B234F which need the earlier type.
940 Sport M90 estate, N reg 100k miles, ex Lovejoy.
960 Estate, N reg, 56k miles, blown up and sold.
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rogerthechorister For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 16th, 2017, 13:34   #20
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Thanks for that - since posting i've been onto my local Volvo dealer and asked about a spare key cut to the original profile which is about £25 for an aftermarket one and a lot more for a genuine Volvo key.

I'm now in a quandary because my car only came with 1.5 keys when i bought it! The first one (as shown above) is the ignition key. ONLY the ignition key, doesn't touch any of the other locks.

The "half key" was half the original petrol cap key that no longer worked and then there was a Lowe & Fletcher locker key that apparently worked the petrol cap.

Not wanting to be stuck unable to remove the fuel cap to add the liquid gold to keep running, i bought an aftermarket cap, hence the odd key on the key ring.

You're probably wondering how i lock/unlock the car if there isn't a key that operates the door, tailgate and glovebox locks. It's all done on the central locking operated by an aftermarket alarm with central locking interface.

My guess, based on all the evidence is the previous owner lost the keys. There is additional evidence to suggest it was broken into gently which adds substance to this idea. As a result, the ignition lock was changed and the aftermarket alarm was fitted to lock/unlock the car.
Great until the battery goes belly-up!

Which of course it did a couple of weeks ago. Luckily there was enough left in it to unlock the car but it got me thinking.

Now do i take a gamble on the original profile key in the hope that it will operate the rest of the locks?