Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bonnet release P1 V70

Views : 703

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 28th, 2017, 13:54   #1
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Default Bonnet release P1 V70

Chaps
Using the search facility produced nothing ( again) so here we go !

I have lubed the springs, all pivoting parts, nipples, cables, jaw locks but nothing has resolved the issue.

As a result I have to pull the release lever as usual, this lifts the nearside no problem, get out of the car, lift the osffside section of the bonnet, return to mota, pull release lever and the the offside also releases.

Just be of this niggling pains, can anybody help an old man in distress please ?
Bigfella666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2017, 16:57   #2
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Have no idea why this went into the sales section but there we have it.

Took 85 % of the slack out of the release assembly, adjusted the offside latch both fore and aft, made not a jot of difference. Bonnet still sits around 1mm low on the offside when she is is shut. Could this be part of my problem ?

Only just got in from these minor adjustments, cold, dark and time to leave for another day !
Old Jan 5th, 2018, 09:42   #3
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi Bigfella,

If you have adjusted the nut behind the release lever under the steering column to remove the slack, then the other thing is to remove the slack in the cable that runs across between the two latches under the bonnet.

I have had some luck with cutting down a metal bicycle brake ferrule
something like
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-bike-br...-/170744179054
Cut a slot in the side to allow you to slip into place around the cable.

HTH
Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2018, 10:21   #4
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Cheers Steve

Oddly I have just been out to put the charger on the battery and my time spent over the festive season is a total waste if time - had to return to the release lever to get the offside to open !

Indeed I did take 85% of the slack out of the release lever so will give your recco a try, at 99p nothing to lose !

And oddly your name was mentioned over Christmas as well re that disasterous decision you made re Tony the T60 and oddly 10 mins ago I emailed Lakes to establish what happened to her - one of the 256 crushed and being recycled I fear !
Old Jan 5th, 2018, 10:25   #5
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfella666 View Post
Bonnet still sits around 1mm low on the offside when she is is shut. Could this be part of my problem ?
I seem to remember some years ago adjusting the height of the circular rubber bonnet stop by screwing the bolt out to increase the clearance when the nearside wouldn't release on my 850. If there isn't enough clearance there isn't sufficient compression of the spring to pop the bonnet up from the catch when you pull the release as the hasp is not horizontal aligned across the cam of catch. If you can't adjust the stop, you could always try a slight bend of the bonnet across its width to level it across the front slam panel. (NB don't be caught out by the leading edge of the bonnet which can often be out of true as the bonnet inner can still true between the catches.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; Jan 5th, 2018 at 11:41.
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ASt85 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2018, 15:47   #6
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Cheers Ast

I had thought of your advice as a possibility but yet to action !

Gently replaced spark plugs this morn, I had forgotten what a delicate job it is. Plugs I took out are well past their best and the monkey that put them in ( not Volvo plugs of course ) could not have got more grit in the thread of number 5 plug if he had tried.

I have been on my back feeling sorry for myself most of this week, but this morn was the 7th time I have said to myself if I want the job doing properly ......

Significant improvement in acceleration which will no doubt improve further when cap rotor and leads replaced !

Hopefully not so much improvement that the bonnet flies up !!
Old Jan 6th, 2018, 07:52   #7
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfella666 View Post

Hopefully not so much improvement that the bonnet flies up !!
Many years ago I had the bonnet fly up on a mini... the clang as it hit the roof and blotted out the view at 70 odd mph ensured that thereafter I have always double if not triple checked that the bonnet of any car I'm driving is secure.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2018, 18:50   #8
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Precisely why I consider this a priority job - though I could not resist the temptation today to change the Diz cap rotor and leads.

And the upper engine mount - totally hissed off with Powerflex - they advertise it as a 10 min job, took me well over two hours !!!!! Usual money making bull**** at the expense of the punter if course !
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 09:08   #9
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Smile

Ast
Delighted to report ( as per thread in correct section ) that priority task of having a secure bonnet now ✅

Next task to remove slack from cross rigging which is almost certainly the cause of needing two pulls on release lever to release offside latch. So at least I am back to where I started many hours ago !
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigfella666 For This Useful Post: