Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Steering rack leak and ARB bush.

Views : 443

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 18th, 2018, 12:16   #1
luggsey
The truth is out there...

Default Steering rack leak and ARB bush.

I planned to change the anti roll bar bush on the front drivers side of my 2006 xc70D5 today and while doing so trace the leak I also have from the steering rack area. Fail.

First off I can't get the bolts out of the ARB bush carrier as its right up against the bulkhead which slopes at 45 degrees against the rear bolt.
How on earth do you remove this bolt?

Second problem is the steering rack area leak, it's definitely wet around the low pressure return pipe but how do you reach it to tighten or replace it?
Is it a push fit or a special fitting?

I have taken the opportunity to jet wash it all out clean as 237k miles of crud was in there!

It's up on a jack at present drying.

It's a dogs life!

XC70 D5 2006 244K Still chugging!
CRV 2.2 2006 216K Reactivated.
luggsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 13:17   #2
luggsey

Default Picture

IMG_0246.jpg

Well it's dry now, the lower pipe in the rack which is I believe the low pressure return is loose. It looks like it's held in by a 10mm bolt and clamp which I checked with a collection of extensions and a wobble joint and it seems tight?
I'm stuck now, if I pull the clamp off I presume I'm losing the rack oil but can I repair the fitting whatever it is or should I get a new part ready?

It's a dogs life!

Old Aug 26th, 2018, 12:36   #3
Symes
Master Member

I've got the same problem on the same model. It's been leaking a little for some time and after the last mot advisory I decided to have a look at fixing it.

I also found that the return pipe was loose and even after replacing the seals (£6 each) it was not tight, and it anything it was leaking more than before....

As an attempt to increase the clamping force I've modified a washer to form an additional collar that goes around the pipe and under the proper clamp attached to the input pipe. It's better but still not stopped the leak entirely. A new pipe from the dealer is around £70-80 which seems a lot for a short Alli pipe crimped to a section of rubber hose, but I suppose it's the answer. Otherwise the new mot test will flag it as a fail.

I haven't fully removed the pipe but I imagine that it gets misshapen either where the pipe goes into the rack or on the flange where the clamp sits due to the lack of support, the pipe on mine is only held at either end.... The clamp at the rack, and the jubilie clip at the reservoir, still if it's lasted 228k miles then I suppose that's reasonable.
Old Aug 26th, 2018, 12:44   #4
luggsey

Thanks for the reply, I have purchased the o rings as well, £6 each for normal looking o rings, cheers Volvo!
I thought mine also had far to much wobble to be just the o rings.
How are you working on yours, can you reach in from the wheel side or are you going to be under the car and reach g up over?
I can't get my mitts in from the wheel side?
So if the pipe has a flange on it is it possible to crimp it up a bit more somehow I wonder?
I'm off a few days next week so maybe I'll give it a go, is 1l of chf fluid enough?
Cheers!

It's a dogs life!

Old Aug 28th, 2018, 10:04   #5
Symes
Master Member

Hi,

I'm able to get occasional access to a 2 post lift, so it's relatively easy for me to get to the pipe from underneath - although the clamping bolt is easiest to get to from theo/s wheel well with some extensions.

The flange on the pipe might be repairable, but it's also likely that the aluminium will be a bit fragile after 13 Years (in my case) - I'd thought about adding some solder or possibly a larger o-ring to go just under the flange and (hopefully) seal at the face of the steering rack.

Mine is very wobbly though (not quite so much after I fitted the washer/collar), so I don't know if the pipe itself is knackered - I intend to take it fully out when I have a bit of time and give it a close inspection. It seems a bit of a shame that the pipe isn't supported, given that the feed pipe is clipped to the subframe you'd have thought the designers might have considered something for the return! I just hope it is the pipe and not the rack, although given the materials of the two it should be the softer pipe that's 'gone'.

I've only got 1l of CHF too, and the last time I had the pipe off it only took about 250ml to refill from memory.

I'll be interested to hear how you get on.
The Following User Says Thank You to Symes For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 28th, 2018, 10:18   #6
luggsey

My problem is working area and the cars use as a disabled Mum transporter!
I can only work in the unsurfaced lane outside the house so I'm worried about making the car immobile if I have problems with the seal.
I may have to buy the pipe as well and get local garage to do it I think.

It's a dogs life!

Old Aug 28th, 2018, 10:43   #7
Symes
Master Member

I think it's do-able with the car on axle stands - indeed I'd intended to get the pipe off whilst it's on the drive - but it's certainly a lot easier when standing up under a lift!

I was surprised by the price when I called the dealer, although I really should know by now! And have been keeping an eye on second hand availability which is a bit hit and miss, plus there's always the possibility that it's got the same problem; hence why I wanted to get it off and have a good eyeball at it first.

If I managed to look at mine during the week I'll let you know if I come to any conclusion!
The Following User Says Thank You to Symes For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 28th, 2018, 21:35   #8
luggsey

I'll try and get a part number and price when I get a spare hour or two.
On holiday at home and doing more work then when at work!!!

It's a dogs life!

Old Nov 9th, 2018, 14:15   #9
luggsey

Finally got this job done, to answer my own question to replace front arb bushes required the sub frame to be lowered, no wonder I couldn't get the bolts out!
Also got the o rings on the low pressure return pipe on the steering rack, time and oil level will tell if that's worked.....

It's a dogs life!

The Following User Says Thank You to luggsey For This Useful Post: