Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Swirl Flaps

Views : 16588

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 20th, 2015, 12:14   #21
laundryman
The Engineer

Tried to take picture to show mod but its tucked too far under and covered in gunk! may try this weekend.
The wire goes across the split in the engine end of the arm but at an angle of about 45 deg so as to put a chord on the circle and make the opening smaller. Ends then turned over. Once pushed on there is just a small amount of movement and it is still going ok.
Without the swirl arm, I loose about 2-3 mpg and its a lumpy start.
laundryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 12:24   #22
ted striker

Thanks Laundryman

Just been to Volvo in Brighton to get another arm in vain attempt at fixing, but it appears the ball joint is too far worn now and it drops off (bump stop solutions noted)

The chap in there explained the 'nail' fix which comes out at £59 incl labour and VAT, I'm thinking I may as well pay for that as I'm keeping the car for now and it'll be flagging a service soon.

Last edited by ted striker; Mar 20th, 2015 at 13:49.
ted striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 15:05   #23
davidstel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted striker View Post
OK, this is interesting (for me at least) had a moment to myself and popped bonnet on the car, took the decor cover off to have a look how severe the reported leak is.

Anyway it appears that the swirl rod was unattached to it's engine side, I can't think it's detached by itself as it's undamaged, it appears to have been disconnected.

Do these rods detach themselves when they break? or do we think it's not been reattached after the mechanic reported it to the service manager?
Ted, I think I might have the same problem you had last year. I was having an oil and filter change, the mechanic popped the decor cover off and we could both see the leak around the swirl flap - not a major leak but definately there. The control arm was also disconnected but looking at the form this looks like a fairly easy fix. What do dyou do to get the oil leak fixed - it looks like quite a big job! Many thanks, David
davidstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 16:52   #24
ted striker

I cleaned up the leak and it all looks fine since, only a minor leak, no messages.

Think volvo quoted £700 to fix. Ignored that.

The new arm has now dropped off the swirl valve arm thing so will be doing the 'nail fix' at the next service
Old Mar 27th, 2015, 22:47   #25
D5NIJ

Hi guys,

The reason the link keeps popping off is because the chambers that the swirl flap fits in to gets carbon'd up and stops the flaps from moving, hence popping off the linkage as it is the weakest point between the two.
To fully rectify this, the swirl thottle needs to be removed and the chambers cleaned of the carbon deposit build up. then refitted with new.

Hope this helps
D5NIJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2015, 11:04   #26
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D5NIJ View Post
Hi guys,

The reason the link keeps popping off is because the chambers that the swirl flap fits in to gets carbon'd up and stops the flaps from moving, hence popping off the linkage as it is the weakest point between the two.
To fully rectify this, the swirl thottle needs to be removed and the chambers cleaned of the carbon deposit build up. then refitted with new.

Hope this helps
Top be honest out of the many i have repaired that has not been the case , maybe yours had a lot of soot in the manifold due to EGR issues ?
The cause of the link popping off is wear of the plastic ball joint , dirt and dust from the road gets blown in the joint and as it is moving all the time it acts as a grindging paste and wears away the ball over a period of 7 years or so ..With a good standard plastic ball and socket it is very dificult to part them they don't "pop-off" :-)
A visit to a hobby/model shop should produce a nice steel ball and socket joint you could modify to fit ..

If the joint isnt too worn the £4 volvo drill , pin and clip modification may be all you need .
Old Apr 29th, 2015, 20:04   #27
ted striker

Well have bitten bullet and paid for replacement of swirl flap mechanism as the ball was too worn to do the replacement kit. This, with a service and some suspension bushes have made, despite a 10% dealer (Volvo offered nothing) discount has made for an expensive day at Dinnages.
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 18:54   #28
Thistrucker

Default Image?

[QUOTE=ted striker;1622085]https://www.dropbox.com/s/zvfijil19seaiyj/DSC_2093.jpg

Should be an image there...[/QUOTE

No image!
Thistrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2018, 22:01   #29
Whizzer

Default Swirl Flaps - to replace or not!

‘Engine System Service Required’ warning displayed in last couple of days.
Sure enough linkage arm had fallen off swirl flaps.
This is the first time it has fallen off since I bought the car @120k miles. It’s now on 170k miles.
Inspecting the ball joint it is fairly well worn and whilst I can effect a repair ( as detailed elsewhere on the forum); I guess however I am only postponing the inevitable, plus the possibilities of the flaps breaking up considering the 170k miles on the clock?
Any thoughts on the matter I note PFV can supply the kit including new fuel pipes, gaskets, injector kit etc for circa £480.00.
Happy to do the work myself but a little concerned on removal of injectors.
Am I likely to have issues in removing injectors, any tips etc,..

2009 XC90 SE Lux Geartronic 185bhp

Many thanks
Simon

Last edited by Whizzer; Nov 10th, 2018 at 22:03. Reason: Added engine and year of car
Whizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2019, 15:02   #30
Rentagas
Swedish Chef

Default Swirl flap actuator rod has detached

My 2011 XC90 D5 exec has just gone in for a very expensive main dealer service and the have reported that the swirl flap actuator rod has detached and quoted £985 for putting it right. I’ve googled and searched and found this thread
My understanding is that this detachment means that the swirl valves either stay open or closed
If open it doesn’t affect performance but gives poor economy at city speeds (which I guess is what has happened to mine)
There are no error codes

So any experience fixing at an independent? Was this a permanent fix?
Rentagas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airflow, engine system service req, replacement kit, swirl flaps, xc90