Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Handbrake disaster

Views : 62025

Replies : 210

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 11th, 2018, 14:33   #201
ASt85
Premier Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboZed View Post
Jim's tip of the day
Once you have fitted a new discs and shoes once a week just pull the handbrake on gently whilst the car is rolling to keep the contact surface free from rust. This should keep your handbrake in fine fettle for the rest of the life of the discs.
Yup, the handbrake will actually work very well if the drums are kept clean & the shoes aren't polished UNTIL the Volvo OEM lining parts company with the shoe - regular replacement is the key with the OEMs.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 11:49   #202
lynns hubby
Master Member

What is so different about the V7 /XC70 handbrake set up.
I have run 240s and 940s with the drum in disk similar to this for the last 30 years and never had any issues like this.
Just curious as we have now changed to an XC70 and need to keep on top of ot.
lynns hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 12:15   #203
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynns hubby View Post
What is so different about the V7 /XC70 handbrake set up.
I have run 240s and 940s with the drum in disk similar to this for the last 30 years and never had any issues like this.
Just curious as we have now changed to an XC70 and need to keep on top of ot.
nothing, just materials , brake shoes and disc/drum material are not what they used to be , have you noticed how discs rust like hell in a matter of 20 minutes in the rain these days ? They are not what they were when they used asbestos it is the same for all cars with shoes , I have a car with rear drums and the modern shoes available have about half the friction of the original ones . The 940 and 850 and the later cars up to around 2006 have superb drum handbrakes , they could lock the wheels with just two fingers and two clicks .. when adjusted .
I would always advise new VOLVO shoes every time the rear discs are renewed .
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 13:03   #204
lynns hubby
Master Member

Thanks for that Clan, not had the XC70 long so just really just doing a bit of research as to possible future issues.
Looks like new handbrake shoes at every disc change then and a check of the handbrake shoes at every pad change as its only a calliper off job to get the disc off.
lynns hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 13:07   #205
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Thanks for that Clan, not had the XC70 long so just really just doing a bit of research as to possible future issues.
Looks like new handbrake shoes at every disc change then and a check of the handbrake shoes at every pad change as its only a calliper off job to get the disc off.
yes perfect , it is only something you will do every few years I guess .. and discs every 10 years probably
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 14:51   #206
savabill
Master Member

Quote:
Make sure that you have a spare set of springs before you try to remove the rear discs. Just in case.

NOW 59 REG 2.5T V70 Ice White

SOLD 55 REG T5 V70 Ruby Red
savabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2023, 13:17   #207
barryknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahbstories View Post
I was doing approx 30 mph and I was about 200 yards from home.

I've managed to source the hub carrier with backplate complete for £70 plus vat from a local scrapyard.

It's on a 2001 2.0 t mines a 2002 2.4 T somebody please tell me its the same one !!
Hi, I could post the exact same pics! I too have managed to source used hub but am unsure how much tension is stored in the 3 hub mount bolts! Have removed top 2 but bottom one seems to be under tension despite supporting the spring/shock. Assuming you changed yours successfully could you give me any pointers to what needs supporting etc? Many thanks Barry
barryknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2023, 11:44   #208
Roy V70 850
Much too Senior

Just like to add a thumbs up on Clans advise to use genuine Volvo shoes. The friction coefficient is obviously higher which increases the hold capability. I know Volvo don't make brake shoes, but whoever supplies them knows what's required for this type of car.

I initially bought some from the spares shop. They just wouldn't hold the V70 on my steep drive.

V70 D5 2004 163hp 72k
----------------------------
(Used to test brake pads/shoes on dynamoneters for a living)
Roy V70 850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2023, 12:07   #209
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

isn't it ATE that do the volvo OEM stuff

could be the standard range and the stuff they sell to volvo are differently specced items though so just getting off the shelf may not be the same end result

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2023, 15:34   #210
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
isn't it ATE that do the volvo OEM stuff

could be the standard range and the stuff they sell to volvo are differently specced items though so just getting off the shelf may not be the same end result
It used to be Rollunds before ATE, but even then the spec was different - the soefficient of friction was the same but the dust generated was at a much higher level and neither pads nor shoes lasted as long as Volvo OEM.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote