Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bluetooth in 2005 XC90

Views : 6528

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 23rd, 2016, 17:46   #21
C320

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSTheo119 View Post
Like many of you guys on this thread I've been trying to figure out the best way to bring my '03 XC into the smartphone/usb era. I've got Premium audio with sub and obviously want to use this set up while playing music or internet radio off my phone (I've used a Parrot amp in another car and its OK but don't want to go down this road again)
It seems there's 2 pretty acceptable ways to go.
1. install a Parrot via an optical converter (such as MMMI), keeping the power amp, console & steering wheel volume/fader/balance etc, controls and all speakers in the game, but have to use Parrot controller and display for phone as well - I've found the way the Parrot connects a little flakey, but not sure there's anything better. At least you get bluetooth connection included.
2. Install a GROM, which apparently interrupts the CD changer (so losing the use of that!) but retains steering wheel phone button control - which I like the idea of, don't want to lose the CD changer permanently though. There's also the Dension 500 but the GROM looks a better bet to me for the money

So my queries are:
As I have the useless minidisc player, can the GROM be patched into this instead? - I guess only GROM can answer this but the plugs look the same.
I also have the Comms pack, Is this all now basically useless as well? (apart from the SW phone controls while using a GROM interface)

I've surfed all the relevant threads but still feel a little in the dark. Any old hands with bitter experience of any of this, please share your pain...
Thanks
I also have the comms pack too, and read about limitations of the fibre ring.

Here's my thought process which took over a year which may help.

My car also has the HDD Nav system and Dynaudio. I like the factory look, so as much as I like the look of the Carplay units, I just couldn't go for this. It's also my wife's car so it needed to be easy to use.

I looked at GROM but didn't like the fact that it takes over from the CD Changer. Also didn't like the bit about having to disable 'MOST Security' to get it to work either.

As I said I'm a stickler for OEM. I got really excited when I came across a head unit from a 2013/2014 XC90 with integrated Bluetooth and seriously considered trying to upgrade to this. I assumed that it would integrate with the steering controls and microphone etc. as I already have the comms pack.

However, I couldn't find anyone that could definitively say whether it would work or not. The consensus was that it's unlikely due to the security modules and the way this stuff is coded. I didn't want to risk the circa £450+ the seller wanted for a used unit that may or may not work.

Whilst I know the Parrot kit isn't OEM, with the OASI I believe it's as close as you can get to OEM integration and modern functionality (Bluetooth Music Streaming and handsfree calls).

Hope this helps...
C320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2016, 23:10   #22
GSTheo119
XC90 tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by C320 View Post
I also have the comms pack too, and read about limitations of the fibre ring.

Here's my thought process which took over a year which may help.

My car also has the HDD Nav system and Dynaudio. I like the factory look, so as much as I like the look of the Carplay units, I just couldn't go for this. It's also my wife's car so it needed to be easy to use.

I looked at GROM but didn't like the fact that it takes over from the CD Changer. Also didn't like the bit about having to disable 'MOST Security' to get it to work either.

As I said I'm a stickler for OEM. I got really excited when I came across a head unit from a 2013/2014 XC90 with integrated Bluetooth and seriously considered trying to upgrade to this. I assumed that it would integrate with the steering controls and microphone etc. as I already have the comms pack.

However, I couldn't find anyone that could definitively say whether it would work or not. The consensus was that it's unlikely due to the security modules and the way this stuff is coded. I didn't want to risk the circa £450+ the seller wanted for a used unit that may or may not work.

Whilst I know the Parrot kit isn't OEM, with the OASI I believe it's as close as you can get to OEM integration and modern functionality (Bluetooth Music Streaming and handsfree calls).

Hope this helps...
Thanks, it does help. I now realise my comms pack has no microphone anyway as its just the hand set type (what were they thinking?) I like sticking to OEM but iwth hidden upgrades so I like the parrot interface slotted in where the Minidisc goes, thinking I'll get a non mini disc fascia and switcheroo, ditching the MD and go for a Parrot into the Volvo power amp via the OASI? just have to use the dodgy little buttons.!
GSTheo119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2016, 09:46   #23
owenfackrell
Premier Member

From what I have read on hear of others having trouble with the GROM unit I'm glad I used a Dension one. You can switch back to the cd changer at any time use an iPod or just use the usb. You have full control from the steering wheel and it will tell you what track and artist it is. There is a blue tooth module for it but I haven't used it.
If you have the phone as part of the rti pack then there is a microphones me as you can use it hands free or use the "privacy" handed (Volvos description).
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2016, 18:57   #24
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenfackrell View Post
From what I have read on hear of others having trouble with the GROM unit I'm glad I used a Dension one. You can switch back to the cd changer at any time use an iPod or just use the usb. You have full control from the steering wheel and it will tell you what track and artist it is. There is a blue tooth module for it but I haven't used it.
If you have the phone as part of the rti pack then there is a microphones me as you can use it hands free or use the "privacy" handed (Volvos description).
Has anybody fitted a Denison Gateway to a MY2008+ XC90?
I'm getting a MY09 XC90 on Saturday, it has no bluetooth and I am considering the Denison unit, but their website is unclear as to compatibility with the facelifted XC90s post 2007.

Love to hear from some real world experience....
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2016, 22:36   #25
GSTheo119
XC90 tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenfackrell View Post
Is there a built in microphone for the phone? I can't see anything around the mirror/ interior light module where I'd expect to see one. Mines an '03.
GSTheo119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2016, 23:03   #26
owenfackrell
Premier Member

Mines a 54 plate and you can deffinatley use the phone with out the hand set and I know it's the same on the 04 ones. Not sure where it is mind, it could be in the mirror surround which also has the aerial for the phone in.
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2016, 23:23   #27
C320

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Has anybody fitted a Denison Gateway to a MY2008+ XC90?
I'm getting a MY09 XC90 on Saturday, it has no bluetooth and I am considering the Denison unit, but their website is unclear as to compatibility with the facelifted XC90s post 2007.

Love to hear from some real world experience....
I liked the look of the Dension too, especially the ID3 / music text display on the head unit. However, like yourself I couldn't find any indication about support on facelift XC90's.

As you say their website appears to state for models from 2002-2006. It even says "Compatible with High Performance and Premium sound system, without AUX input, with CDC". 2007+ cars have AUX input so I'd assume it's not compatible.

So that's why I ended up with the Parrot unit, I didn't really like the idea of the additional display the MKi 9200 needs but after having it fitted I'm content with it.
C320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 16:12   #28
Simiewimie

Hi. I've gone for the same setup and just waiting for my SOT-045 cable to arrive. Did you find a guide for the install, or is it pretty obvious what connects where?
Did you put everything under the amp, or is some of it behind the centre console?

Any help/advice would be hugely appreciated.
Simiewimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 16:14   #29
Simiewimie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugley View Post
Just fitted Parrot CK3100 with SOT045 cable to a 2005 XC90. Really easy to fit and works extremely well. It mutes the sound system and is a very high quality Bluetooth phone kit with noise cancelling which is simple to use.

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/volv...0-sot-045.html

Not too pricey either!

Has my vote and does whats needed to safely use the mobile whilst driving.
Hi Pugley.
I've gone for the same setup and just waiting for my SOT-045 cable to arrive. Did you find a guide for the install, or is it pretty obvious what connects where?
Did you put everything under the amp, or is some of it behind the centre console?

Any help/advice would be hugely appreciated.
Simiewimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 19:56   #30
pugley

Hi

I fitted mine the following way:-

The parrot is essentially 3 parts

1. I fitted the relay box connected to the sot cable on foam rubber underneath the amplifier under the drivers seat. (this is convenient as the sot cable is inserted between the amp and output cables)

2. I fitted the Parrot connection box in the void in the centre console in front of the gear selector underneath the radio unit. The side panel is removeable and the cable from the relay box is easily routed to this area. Also the mute and power cables can easily reach the radio.

3. The parrot unit is fitted above the radio centrally under the air vents.
pugley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pugley For This Useful Post: