Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Amazon (B20) engine oil - SAE 10w30 or 20w50?

Views : 3640

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 28th, 2018, 13:48   #1
BLS07

Default Amazon (B20) engine oil - SAE 10w30 or 20w50?

Good afternoon fellow Amazon owners!
I've just clocked up my first year as a proud owner of my first Volvo Amazon.
It's a lefty and now has near 100K km's on the clock
She's a beaut!
I'm keen to change the oil and prolong the life of the engine, and try to keep all the original engine components (such as the splash lubrication bits, camshaft etc) going for as many km/miles as possible.

I've read a lot about the various engine oil brands folks use here in U.K. and abroad, but I'm a little unclear as to what direction is best.

SAE 10w30 is the manual recommendation.
That has my initial vote.
But I can't seem to find Castrol GTX SAE 10w30 here in U.K. really - only their 10w40 ..

However, I note that SAE 20w50 (Halfords Classic for example) comes up a lot too.

It's autum, so good time to change oil.
But I'm keen to hear from fellow Amazon owners what they use, recommend and why. I'm still learning about this particular vehicle and I intend to keep it running until I'm dust.

Appreciate your collective advice and experience on this one.

Cheers,
BLS
BLS07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2018, 14:44   #2
arcturus
arcturus

Whichever you decide on make sure that it contains ZDDP Millars Classic pistoneeze 20/50 for example. I use it in my B16 & B20. Both the same . Pistoneeze the new rebranded name
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4300003 (2).jpg (298.6 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by arcturus; Oct 28th, 2018 at 17:17.
arcturus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2018, 19:05   #3
BLS07

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus View Post
Whichever you decide on make sure that it contains ZDDP Millars Classic pistoneeze 20/50 for example. I use it in my B16 & B20. Both the same . Pistoneeze the new rebranded name
Thanks Arcturus, much appreciated.
Any reason you go for 20w50 over a 10w30 ?
Is it the Viscosity, mainly ?
Old Oct 28th, 2018, 19:10   #4
AndyV7o
Premier Member

If manual states 10w30 tgen 20w50 will not be at all healthy for the engine.
However Im puzxled by this, Im not aware of that viscosity mutigrade existing back then, pretty much it was just 20w50, though Im not saying it wasnt around...
Dont go crazy with zddp, you need 800-1200ppm for wear resistance, any more can actually accelerate wear just like too little.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 28th, 2018, 21:09   #5
BLS07

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
If manual states 10w30 tgen 20w50 will not be at all healthy for the engine.
However Im puzxled by this, Im not aware of that viscosity mutigrade existing back then, pretty much it was just 20w50, though Im not saying it wasnt around...
Dont go crazy with zddp, you need 800-1200ppm for wear resistance, any more can actually accelerate wear just like too little.
Thanks Andy, much appreciate your reply too.
I'm keen to use an engine with ZDDP already in it (unlike the modern oils for cat/converter engine).
I've tried to attach the appropriate page from the manual here.
My big concern is to not encourage wear.
I'm also puzzled why Amazons are not listed when I search 20w50 oils manufacturers - and - why Castrol GTX SAE 10w30 is seemingly so darn hard to find here in the U.K. (Online anyway)

Anyone know of a solid stockist for Castrol GTX SAE 10/30, in the U.K.?

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_0744.PNG (370.4 KB, 14 views)
Old Oct 28th, 2018, 22:55   #6
AndyV7o
Premier Member

I wouldnt worry about it being castrol.
10w30 is rare in this country as we never really used it, and when we did it was high shear fuel economy A1/B1 oil, which isnt suitable for engines like yours.
I dare say 10w40 would be ok, might be easier to source a classic car oil in that viscosity.
Ill try and have a nosy about see what may be appropriate...
In terms of zddp an A3/B4 has sufficient levels, but some of the detergents can be iffy with old engines, though mainly those which havent ever run modern oils or been rebuilt as the detergents break up solidified matter/sludge from dark corners of the engine and cause 'oil-clots' to circulate and block/restrict flow. Modern oils can be quite ok though, it just depends.
Old Oct 28th, 2018, 23:13   #7
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Found this https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-162360-...ngine-oil.aspx

Some modern oils that would be ok in terms of basic fundamentality, providing there are no known issues with your engine and detergents, and that its very clean internally
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Total-Quart.../dp/B004A0PIHG
https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-985-fuc...ngine-oil.aspx

This may well be the ticket... https://www.classic-oils.net/MobileD...p?Prod_ID=4478

Last edited by AndyV7o; Oct 28th, 2018 at 23:34.
Old Oct 29th, 2018, 13:11   #8
BLS07

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
Found this https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-162360-...ngine-oil.aspx

Some modern oils that would be ok in terms of basic fundamentality, providing there are no known issues with your engine and detergents, and that its very clean internally
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Total-Quart.../dp/B004A0PIHG
https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-985-fuc...ngine-oil.aspx

This may well be the ticket... https://www.classic-oils.net/MobileD...p?Prod_ID=4478
Cheers Andy!
Much appreciate the tips and advice.
Reading up on these now.
It looks like SAE 10w40 might be just fine.
Feedback with what I find / any further questions shortly.
Thanks again, really appreciate the help.
Cheers
BLS
The Following User Says Thank You to BLS07 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 29th, 2018, 14:05   #9
blueosprey90
Master Member

So, since this is the internet, take my comments with a grain of salt as I'm no expert on any subject.

But if you are interested in wear protection, as opposed to the weight of the oil, or its ZDDP rating, this blog may be of some interest - but you will need to scroll down many, many pages to find the writer's oil rankings.

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/201...-test-ranking/

I'm new to the Volvo world, but have been running an MGA (pushrod, flat tappets) for about 10 years. I use Valvoline VR-1 conventional race oil because of its relatively high ZDDP content - 30 weight or 20W50, whatever I can get.

I guess I should be paying more attention to updates in the blog, however.

Now, reviewing the rankings, I see that my oil of choice is rated at #47. (I'm sure it used to be about #15 or so!) Valvoline Full Synthetic High Mileage with MaxLife Technology is rated at #8. (But I need to study the temperature breakdown discussion further before changing.)

In ranking #24, the writer mentions a product called "Oil Extreme Concentrate" as an additive to your conventional oil. Without knowing anything about it, I used this product in lieu of a ZDDP additive to break in an engine several about 4 years ago. My sense at the time, when I drained the oil after a couple hundred miles, was that the oil felt extremely slippery.

Rather than the choice of oil, frequent changes of oil and filter may be more important. And 10W40 vs 20W50 may be relevant only if you are operating in extremely cold or hot conditions.

Just my 2 cents from the U.S. of A. Cheers.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blueosprey90 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 29th, 2018, 16:17   #10
AndyV7o
Premier Member

The point in using 10w40 instead if 20w50 is that 20w50 is much too far removed from the origibal 10w30, thus will restrict flow and overload the oil pump.
Yes changing oil and filters at sensible points makes a big difference.

Just read-up on oil extreme. Yes it may reduce friction and wear, but this isnt akways such a good thing, it can have negative effects such as bore polishing which then reduces lubrication to the upper bores resulting in excess heat, which in turn can contribute to pre-ignition, broken rings, and so-on. This is of course over time, but, there is a reason that even really expensive 'boutique' or 'niche' oils dont use these kind of technologies, as long-term they can cause problems and be counterproductive. As you said, change frequently. Use quality oil. Job done.

Last edited by AndyV7o; Oct 29th, 2018 at 16:28.
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post: