Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Automatic gearbox oil

Views : 818

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 30th, 2018, 22:15   #1
Rich118

Default Automatic gearbox oil

Hi all i have 55 plate xc90 ocean race with the grey engine cover and 185bhp it is pre facelift and has the round pattern lights at the back.
I'm unsure what gearbox this has and so unsure what oil i need to buy, i need to replace the radiator so will need to top up the gearbox after.
Thanks for your help
Rich
Rich118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 00:46   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Hi RIch, on most cars the ATF should be changed every 24k so if you don't know when it was last done, while you're doing the rad, drain the old ATF out and once the rad is replaced, top up the box with fresh oil.

Rough guide is 3-4L needed for a "sump dump" of the gearbox although it varies with models/boxes.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 07:09   #3
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich118 View Post
Hi all i have 55 plate xc90 ocean race with the grey engine cover and 185bhp it is pre facelift and has the round pattern lights at the back.
I'm unsure what gearbox this has and so unsure what oil i need to buy, i need to replace the radiator so will need to top up the gearbox after.
Thanks for your help
Rich

Hi Rich I'm pretty certain that with a 185 engine you will have a 6 speed geartronic. The earlier box was a 5 speed. 5 speed has a yellow dipstick, 6 speed has a level plug within the drain plug and needs to be set correctly and at the right temeperature of 50 -60 degrees C.

Both boxes require JWS 3309 spec ONLY

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic

Last edited by S60D5-185; Oct 31st, 2018 at 07:11.
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 08:33   #4
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

^^^ what he said, if you have a 185 then it is the 6-speed TF-80 (rather than the earlier 5-speed AW55 fitted to the 163 BHP E3 engines).

However both boxes use the same spec of oil, JWS3309 is the magic wording, there are a few options but best bulk deals are on e-bay.

If you are getting oily then best to change all of the oil, either by multiple sump dumps or in a single flush using the gibbons method.

You will notice the difference..... :-)
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Oct 31st, 2018 at 08:36.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 08:52   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
Both boxes require JWS 3309 spec ONLY
In that case :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carlube-A...C/121347314407

It's JWS3309 compatible and an excellent fluid. I use it myself for the Honda Z-1 compatibility in one car and in my 760 (AW71 box) as it's better than the recommended DExron II-D for that box - Toyota used the same box (with a different designation) in early Lexus LS400 models and insisted on JWS3309 fluid for it so i know it's compatible with my box.

As for changing the fluid completely, that was in fact what i was suggesting last night but didn't get that point across very successsfuly. I'd go for multiple sump-dump/part-changes rather than the flushing/gibbon method. IT introduces the new, thicker fluid more gently which helps to avoid popping a dried out seal until the first of the new fluid has revived it somewhat. The seal conditioner in the fluid goes off with age and allows the seals to start drying up, another good reason for changing it periodically. Also if you do the sump-dump method 3-4 times over the course of 2-3 months then once a year after, you'll be surprised how smooth your box remains.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 09:26   #6
Rich118

Thanks for all the info, The gearbox oil was changed last year and only a few thousand miles ago so think i will be looking to top up. I was looking at buying the coolant and ATF from partsforvolvosonline.com if anyone has any experience with them.
One of the reasons being they are one of the few places that stock Volvo coolant. I have some normal blue silicate stuff but hunting through posts opinions seem to be divided on using this and think i would probably rather not risk it.
Thanks
Rich
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich118 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 09:41   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

In that case, do a part-change/sump-dump change on the ATF to refresh it and then do one a year from now on.

As for the coolant, i'm not too well up on the post-2000 Volvos but i believe you have an all-aluminium engine.

That means there's a very high chance it's the red/orange OAT coolant in it, if so don't risk the ethylene glycol/silicate coolant as the two don't mix, just form a gel that blocks all the water channels.

The acid in the OAT (Organic Acid Technology) causes the silicone to precipitate out of the ethylene glycol and form a gel.

I've used PFV many times for parts for my 7xx Volvos without any problems. However, buying the ATF-U i linked to earlier will almost certainly be more cost effective and is compatible with your box. Also if there is any chance, even a small one that the heat exchanger in the radiator to cool the ATF has developed a leak, you should change the ATF as a precaution to remove any coolant that has found its way into the box.

Old Oct 31st, 2018, 10:06   #8
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

This is the oil that I buy as it's from it's a local. long established company.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ATF-JWS-3309-Toyota-ATF-T-IV-T1V-Aisin-Warner-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid-20L/302044203216?hash=item46533cc8d0:g:IfkAAOSw9NdXsxH 9:rk:14f:0

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 10:12   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
Same stuff direct from the supplier in a more manageable size :

https://www.smithandallan.com/produc...mission-fluid/

Use the drop down menus to select size, select carriage at checkout and VAT, job's a good'un!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 12:27   #10
Rich118

Thanks again guys all ordered will change the rad some time next week
Rich
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich118 For This Useful Post: