Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1st Impressions of my new XC60 T5

Views : 9774

Replies : 93

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 21st, 2018, 17:18   #81
macklij
Member since 2007

Three weeks in and still only 200 miles, but here are a few more thoughts:

1. I am loving Fusion Red. See attached pictures. No photoshop, just size reduced. The tree really was that colour.

2. Fuel consumption isn't great so far. 23mpg mixed urban and motorway. Hopefully it will improve.

3. It's comfortable and I like the air suspension.

4. Overall, I am still a bit underwhelmed by the H/K audio sound. Other practical irritations also include:
(a) The way it slices and dices the content of my flac files on USB. Multiple folders each with different tracks of the same album (it doesn't seem to recognise the AlbumArtist tag, and Gracenote creates duplicate folders (e.g. Yaz appeared, which is the American name for the 80's band Yazoo)
(b) the contents of a folder just repeat round and round. Painful if its just got one track because of (a) above.

5. The blond leather cased key is a pain. I don't like the button layout and its not durable. See next post for my 'fix'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volvoEF1 (2).jpg (292.2 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg volvoEF2 (2).jpg (302.6 KB, 65 views)
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 17:32   #82
macklij
Member since 2007

In the post above I mentioned that I don't think the blond leather case on the key is durable (another poster has made similar comments). I couldn't do anything about button placement, but I risked buying a walnut key shell from AliExpress. It arrived in a few days and I am really pleased with it. I have waxed it, and the pictures attached are the result.

I am hoping it will just looked 'lived in' when its used, rather than tatty like the leather shell would. The disadvantage is that the emergency key, whilst still inside, isn't accessible without a tiny Philips screwdriver.

Overall I am very pleased with it so I thought I'd share.

One comment I'd make is that they do two versions, one with the metal Volvo badge and one with it just etched in the wood. I wish I had bought the etched version - they Volvo logo is only OK quality.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Keyl...844137578.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5012 - Copy.jpg (153.4 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5013 - Copy.jpg (149.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5014 - Copy.jpg (135.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5015.jpg (359.6 KB, 39 views)
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 21:44   #83
WhatNext?

Just over a month in, 1700 plus miles:

1) Overall very happy with it
2) I find it comfortable, smooth with plenty of power. I don't find the gearbox a problem at all (and I drive a lot in Eco mode, but I do change quite a bit too).
3) Love the colour combination I chose, however all the others I have seen looked good too!
4) As above still underwhelmed with HK Audio (for the price). I think it's made slightly worse by using Apple music on my Pixel 2XL. Having compared a Apple music to Google Play Music previously, I know Apple music sounds a bit brighter/harsher (more emphasis on mid high frequency)
5) I don't use the key, I have the KeyTag attached to my key bunch

If I were to do it again, I would probably go for 19 inch wheels (I have the standard 18 inch) and probably not get the HK upgrade.

Some issues:
1) My wipers are still misbehaving (previously it was hitting the A pillar when on continuous wipe) ... the passenger side one judders when it comes to rest - I am not talking about the park mode
2) I remain unconvinced about the usefulness of Pilot assist as I cannot trust it. A few times, on single carriage ways, it has straddled lanes despite the green icon still being on and clear lines
3) The tailgate hands free (kick mode) is so unreliable ... never bloody works when you actually need it to work

I have averaged 34 mpg over the last month, but that's with a feather light foot.

Last edited by WhatNext?; Oct 21st, 2018 at 21:57.
WhatNext? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhatNext? For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 10:40   #84
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloke69 View Post
3) The tailgate hands free (kick mode) is so unreliable ... never bloody works when you actually need it to work
Mine works 99% of the time. It's a forward kick below the sensor (I don't know exactly where it is on an XC60) rather than a sideways swipe which most people seem to try.
Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 13:06   #85
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Default XC60 1,000 mile review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parisien View Post
So Simon, after a reasonable period of owning, how does it actually drive, pulling away, whats it like at over taking, handling, level of refinement, road noise, gear change, practicalities of daily use....and dare I say, had any issues......indeed all those things that add to the ownership or pride in driving a new Volvo!
P
Well, quite a few questions here to answer...........
I have now owned "her" for 5 weeks and this weekend clicked over into 1,000 miles and also completed the bonding process with her 1st full wash which allowed me to really get into all the bodywork nocks & crannies.
So in reply to the above:

1. How does she drive?
Having come from a long line of Volvo's with mainly D5 power units, it was really nice to get back to a really grunty T5 Petrol unit (much like my original 850 T5 from a few decades ago) now that Volvo have decided to allow us UK owners to have a petrol option for the XC60 drivetrains.
I am finding that the engine is now beginning to loosen up slightly so consequently I am gently extending the power delivery modes and am consistently having to make sure other drivers are not wondering why I have a constant smile on my face as I pass them......
My average MPG over 6 years of 2 x XC60 D5's over c70,00 miles was c32.5 mpg, so I was expecting with my push on driving style to be lucky to see an average greater than 29.9 mpg. Ignoring the 1st 500 miles my average is on fact coming out at at just over 30 mpg with a 30.9 on a long Motorway journey this week at c80 mph so I am pleased with this performance with a still tight engine ....... but I am prepared for any improvement as the engine further loosens upto 10,000 miles to be balanced by a slightly heavier right foot.

2. What's it like at pulling away, overtaking, handling?
I think the expression of like "sh*t of a shovel" would be most applicable especially as the engine continues to loosen up which reflects the view of the majority of T5 owners even without the Polestar option.
I have read some forum postings re an initial acceleration delay on moving off but these comments only seem to apply to D4/D5's rather that T5's, plus as in all previous Volvo's I have gone for the Polestar option which remaps many key powertrain performance values for those drivers who demand that power performance levels.
Consequently I have absolutely zero issues with pulling away or overtaking which bearing in mind we are talking about a pretty heavy SUV is a reflection of the powertrain deliverability.
The adaptive air suspension gives me a good range of handling levels much like my previous XC60's which had the 4C suspension. Strangely I find my self using the default "Comfort" mode for the majority of the time v the middle "Sport" mode that was always my default mode with the 4C previous models.

3. Level of refinement & road noise?
Without any doubt this 2nd generation SPA based XC60 is a game changer for Volvo in that it takes the most popular Volvo model up into a new league.
In recent weeks I have had two business colleagues who have been brought up on the standard breed of Germanic BMW/Mercedes/Audi stable fodder now look to place Volvo XC60 orders. The whole internal ambiance of the XC60 cabin has shown how Volvo have raised their game to the next level which my local dealer told me has caused them a new problem - what to do with all the Germanic models now being taken in as part-exchange - I think that tells you enough?
A good test on any car build is the "sound" when you close doors and when washing it this weekend it was very rewarding to hear that solid quality clunk of a closing door that reflects a quality design/build process
4. Practicalities of daily use?
Not sure what is meant here, but this XC60 is just as happy going to Tesco or parking in a multi-storey carpark as it is on the M25. I think the slightly larger XC90 may have a different level of daily use issues due to its size though.

5. Any issues so far?
Absolutely zero problems to report. With this being a new model I purposely waited 6 months from the start of the new production run last year to ensure any early teething bugs were ironed out first. But as this new XC60 is built on the same already developed SPA platform as the existing XC90 you could say that is has now had twin development phases..........if that makes sense.

Hope this helps you.
Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 15:30   #86
weemark

Lexman - with you on that - (once you get your bearings) my XC90 gesture tailgate always works for me and always when I need it to!

Simon - good summary, just a shame for me at my daft height that the XC60 driving position is a bit constrained by the centre console being square and high - the 90 is a much better fit for me, the console being lower and angles; then again most cars for me are a compromise! The XC90 obviously a tad bigger than the 60 so agree with you re the parking side of things, can be a bit tight - and the Manc Airport car park wasn't the best when I left it there for 10 days while in Iceland in June. Given your location I assume your dealer is on Featherbed Lane - same as me given am down towards Newtown.
weemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 18:40   #87
encroute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
Mine works 99% of the time. It's a forward kick below the sensor (I don't know exactly where it is on an XC60) rather than a sideways swipe which most people seem to try.
Mine seems to be just to the left of the middle, not exactly pinpointed, so do a swipe (Mid to left) and it works 90% of the time. The 10% is when I demo it
encroute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 00:23   #88
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weemark View Post
Given your location I assume your dealer is on Featherbed Lane - same as me given am down towards Newtown.
Yep, same dealer who used to be part of the Greenhous Group but having been purchased by a local successful businessman are now called Volvo - Shrewsbury and are operating a new Volvo UK business model with much closer ties to Volvo than a normal franchised dealer.
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 09:08   #89
Darius XC60 Fan

I got my new XC60 and could say that interior is the best from all which I had
My volvo have been chosen as a foto model for one website, which sells premium car perfume. The result you can see in page kaoriboutique.com. It looks really brilliant. Volvo interior designers made super good work!!
Darius XC60 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 09:14   #90
gaby
Premier Member

Car perfume, Is that CleanZone compatible??