Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MOUNTAIN of Noobie Qs (Something for everyone!)

Views : 489

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 28th, 2015, 01:10   #1
CHARLIEDONTSURF

Default MOUNTAIN of Noobie Qs (Something for everyone!)

Mods/Admin - Read the rules and wasn't sure to do individual posts or not, err'd on the side of caution and threw them all into one.Wasnt sure if flooding the forum with loads of different threads was acceptable but there again this thread might get messy! Let me know if you want me to split them up

Ok,........ i really really really have used the search function, honest!

1)EXHAUST Want to decat the wee beastie. Have done a bit of research and it would appear that BOSAL #925 909 will replace the existing front pipe/cat that are in two sections. Anyone else done it? TIG a lambda boss in and bish,bash,bosh-Bingo! Bosal doesnt appear to have any floating about but can get a Klarius one for £45ish from local factors. Ideas?

2)CAM Understand i can find the cam marking on the bulkhead side of the cam, can it be seen by just removing cam cover (guess a mirror/torch/ 6 weeks of intensive yoga might be in order though) or do i have to take it out?

3)CAM 11 Read so much about them my head hurts! Have a B200F with what i gather is a rather pants cam. Also have a B230a and understand the A cam is pretty good (have found lift/duration charts elsewhere). I also have a spare head i got with the B230A that turns out to be a 531 head with K (IIRC) cam. I *think* my best bet is to move the K cam on and fit the A. Any objection/ideas/advice/abuse?

4)Engine As above , have a spare B230A i was going to fit into a VW pick up but that is now going to be an Audi V6 over the autumn. Will the 2.3 be a straight swap for the 2.0? Or are the castings different on the block and it will end in tears?

5) HEAD 531 or gas flowed 530? Again, read loads but it all appears disjointed.

6) STEREO Have a 'top' mounted factory fitted stereo. Want to fit a newer one down low in the cubby hole. Have found some adapter plates in US ebay etc. Do we have a chap/chapess in the UK who does them?

Thats it for now, i think........................

Plan is to keep the 240 as a daily, fit the V6 into the VW, then once the VW is on the road at the end of the year(ish) , then i will be fitting MS to the 240 as i have it sitting under my bed redundant at the mo.

Thankyou (and sorry to mods/admin, and indeed any forum users if i have missed anything obvious on the search)

CHARLIEDONTSURF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2015, 20:17   #2
wooble
Stay gold baby!

Exhaust: Should work. you'll definitely need the lambda bung welded in. You'll also need a cat for the MoT if it was registered after 1st August '92. I've run mine both decatted and with a cat, and I noticed sweet FA difference in power, but it was louder without.

Cam: It'll be an M cam. The letter is stamped into the rear face of the cam, usually under accumulated burned on oil that needs to be scrubbed off to see it. I've never had any luck reading them in situ, but they're easy to remove. A is good, V is better, K is even lumpier. A K might be a bit much for an otherwise standard B200, you'll lose a lot of bottom end in exchange for your new-found power. I have a V and if it drops below 3000rpm, all the torque runs away and you have to change down to get it pulling again.

Engine: the blocks are identical aside from cylinder bore. Assuming it's from a 240 it'll drop right in. if it's a 740 one you'll need to mess about with the engine dress, get the dizzy and aux shaft swapped, fit appropriate mounts etc, but it's not much of a challenge.

Head? Go with the 531 as the slightly better factory casting. Gasflowing either is a waste of cash unless you can get it done super cheap, your money's better spent elsewhere for the minimal gains you'll pick up.

the top mount stereo sucks, buy an adaptor loom, make your own adaptor plate to whack it in the bottom, take the centre console out, and it takes about 5 minutes to draw up a jig with paper and pencil, then transfer and cut,. I did mine with a sheet of 4mm hardboard with colour-matched vinyl stuck to the top of it, it looks completely factory. you may well find a factory amplifier behind the bottom cubby, take it out and bin it, and connect the new headunit direct to the car loom with the adaptor loom. if I remember correctly, some speaker wires on mine had to be swapped as they were the wrong polarity, but it was no drama. Someone on here will have a spare top cubby to fill the hole at the top.
wooble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wooble For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2015, 21:44   #3
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

1) you can fit the older front pipes to remove teh cat or go for a full sports system if you want to gain some more.

2) your engine will have the M cam

3) the A cam is a good towing / slugging cam. The K is a bit hottor but a long way off wild. As you have it I would stick with the K

4) The blocks are the same other than bore size. If it came form a 240 no problems but if from a740 then it would need the bolt on stuff swapping over and swap the dizzy in inter cam. Swapping to the B230A engine would solve the cat issue with MOT as the MOT test is for the car or engine which ever is older.

5) As the 531 is known to flow better it would make sense to use. If porting only work on the exhaust side but without welding very little can be done. Bigger exhaust valves are worth doing if doing an engine build

6) you should be able to pick up a used one I would think
classicswede is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post: