Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Clutch fork gaiter

Views : 620

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 7th, 2019, 13:20   #1
edworcs

Default Clutch fork gaiter

1969 two door, cable clutch.

I’m replacing the clutch and pilot bearing and I thought it might be smart to replace the useless clutch gaiter at the same time (see the attached for the old one).

I thought that this would be a simple job, but I’m confused about how or if to attach the new clutch fork gaiter to the bell housing. There is a “frame” around the opening that looks like it is intended to secure the gaiter in place. If I do attach it I’m not sure that there will be enough flexibility in the dust cover / gaiter to allow the fork to move.

I just assumed that the gaiter fits on the outside of the bell housing, but it could equally fit inside the bell housing.

Feeling pretty dumb for not being able to figure out something so simple. Green books and Haynes haven’t helped. The old gaiter was as good as useless and wasn’t secured. I’d like to do a good job.

Can anyone set me straight on how to fit this please?

Thanks,

Ed
edworcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2019, 14:31   #2
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Ed;

Replacement Clutch Fork Gaiter is simply pushed onto Fork (obviously before attachment of Clutch Cable), beyond the step (visible in Pic 2), which holds it in place (with a slight preload into Bellhousing, thus affecting a dustseal...it looks like you have a slight mismatch, with an earlier Gaiter (not secured to Bellhousing), and a later BH...where the Phillips screws visible, secured the Gaiter...I'd remove those screws to simply let the Gaiter slide along the flat surface as it moves along with Fork)...from last picture, it looks like the Gaiter needs to be pushed home just a bit more, beyond that step...nothing more complicated than that, but I think the mismatch will still work fine...

Unfortunately, that step is also a stress riser where fractures of the Fork start...as seen here SW-EM page on Clutch fork: https://www.sw-em.com/Clutch_-_cable_actuated_Notes.htm Please take a picture of the Gaiter beyond that step in Fork and in its proper, final position, and with your permission and attribution, I'll add it to the article as reference info.

Cheers

Last edited by Ron Kwas; Jul 11th, 2019 at 14:41.
Ron Kwas is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 11th, 2019, 22:23   #3
edworcs

Ron,

Welcome back.

Many thanks for the excellent advice. I’ll follow your instructions and take a photo in the next few days.

Ed
Old Jul 13th, 2019, 02:31   #4
JP 1800
Master Member

I had the exact same issue with my 69 2 door. I removed the retaining frame ( held onto the bell housing with the 4 screws) and pushed the gaiter up to the bell housing. I then slipped the retaining frame over the new gaiter and used the upper right and lower left screws to hold the frame over the new gaiter as they just clear. You could also drill holes in the gaiter to accept the other 2 screws if you wish.
JP 1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 14:58   #5
edworcs

Default Updated photos

Finally got round to taking updated photos.

Ron, there are two photos with the gaiter pushed into place after removing the retaining frame thus allowing the cover to slide. Let me know if you would like larger versions or different angles.

JP, your idea could work. However, when I implemented it (3rd and 4th photos) it looked like the gaiter could “wrinkle” depending on how much travel there is in the clutch arm when fully installed. I’m going to leave the retaining frame off for now and re-inspect after driving for a while.

Ed