Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Footrest and other issues

Views : 1062

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 23rd, 2016, 22:47   #1
Rubberpie

Default Footrest and other issues

Well, I've had the car since around July last year and after fitting a GROM-like thing so I can listen to all my (old) tunes from my iPod and fitting a new strut top bearing, I'm still really impressed with the car. Should have got one years ago - the D5 engine is superb, it's fast and economical, radio is fantastic, and it is supremely comfortable. However.....

I elected to buy one without heated seats. That in itself isn't really an issue, I've never had heated seats so don't miss them. I would have thought that a car from Sweden would have had a better heater. It blows warm on a cold day, but not impressively hot like most other cars I've owned. Stuck in traffic on the M60 one day, when it was really cold, the engine temp dropped off slightly. Came back up to normal once at 50mph (yes, roadworks section with SPECS average speed things) so I've thought about replacing the thermostat. Or maybe trying the cabin filter first, see if it improves airflow.

Anyway, what seems to be annoying me more is trying to get comfortable. The seat is fine, of course, but has anyone else got an issue with the inbuilt footrest for the (in my case redundant) clutch foot? It just seems to be set way further away from the seat than the accelerator pedal, meaning that I'm struggling to find a really comfy position. I've thought about fashioning a footrest extension and fixing it on with double sided sticky.

I wonder if the left hand drive cars have the same problem? There seems to be a sort of footrest on the passenger side that's set way further back than the driver's side. (Kira - you won't be able to check as I don't imagine that your passenger side with have the moulded, spongy footrest that proper cars have).
Old May 23rd, 2016, 22:57   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

With the heating issue, a sticking open thermostat could cause it so once the engine is up to temperature, does the needle stay at 12 o'clock?
It could also be the cooling system needing a flush or the climate system needing recalibrating with diagnostics.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 23:04   #3
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Indeed, my car's impropriety is verified-no spongy footrest of any description.

All I want to say is be REAL CAREFUL when adding blocks of anything to the floor of a car.
Having a footrest work free and finding itself beneath your brake or accelerator pedal could spell disaster. Mother hen has spoken!

At your car's age I'd suggest changing both stat and cabin air filter as a matter of course.
Again diesels are foreign to me but the stat may be in the combo "stat and sensor" unit the '03 and onwards petrols have.

LEG COMFORT NOTE: For a while here there were shoe companies selling athletic shoes with a cut-away (rather curved) heel such that your foot rolled through its step. The design is no longer out there as the shoes were horribly unstable.
I use a pair as driving shoes and THAT'S what they're great for. If your legs torture you (and you can handle changing your shoes) I suggest giving a pair a go if they're available in the UK. Heaven knows they'd be on clearance.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2016, 23:23   #4
Rubberpie

Hi Ches, yes - generally, once up to temp it stays there. Only once did it start to drop, with the engine idling in really cold weather in traffic making me thing a new stat may be required, but it's only done it once. When I first bought the car the heating seemed to have a mind of it's own, but it has started behaving, at least on the airflow direction front. It would send air where it wanted, with the motors whirring away in the dash. Now, though, it obeys my commands. Unlike my current wife, who defy doesn't.

And thanks, Kira, for your sage advice. I won't stick anything in there that would come loose. And I had considered a prosthetic built-up shoe. That would work fine when driving Sven, but would look really geeky the rest of the time. Coincidentally, a mate of mine keeps leaving rude messages on my mobile (cellphone) answer machine purporting to be from Wigan Infirmary (hospital) prosthetic limbs department informing me that both of my new glass eyes have arrived, or my built-up shoe, or my wig is ready for collection.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 23:32   #5
cheshired5
Premier Member

Cheap diagnostics will shed light on exactly what the coolant temp is doing so if it's sitting where it should but the heater still isn't great, the problem isn't the thermostat.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 23:50   #6
Rubberpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Cheap diagnostics will shed light on exactly what the coolant temp is doing so if it's sitting where it should but the heater still isn't great, the problem isn't the thermostat.
Thanks Chesh, I bought one of those bluetooth OBD readers and downloaded the Torque app, when I get a day off it'll give me an excuse to have a maul with it. I suppose I need VIDA/DICE to do a reset thingy on the heater?
Old May 24th, 2016, 00:04   #7
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubberpie View Post
Thanks Chesh, I bought one of those bluetooth OBD readers and downloaded the Torque app, when I get a day off it'll give me an excuse to have a maul with it. I suppose I need VIDA/DICE to do a reset thingy on the heater?
Here's my video showing coolant monitoring and ECT sensor testing using Torque Pro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66EFO4p2suU

Yes you'll need Vida but there are members up your way with it or if you want to venture down the M6, I'd do it for free.

See what your tests throw up......
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2016, 00:13   #8
Rubberpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Here's my video showing coolant monitoring and ECT sensor testing using Torque Pro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66EFO4p2suU

Yes you'll need Vida but there are members up your way with it or if you want to venture down the M6, I'd do it for free.

See what your tests throw up......
Thanks, I've already seen your (excellent) video and I'll watch it again before I try the OBD thingy out, I'm off Thursday/Friday this week. And thanks for the offer, I may well take you up on it.
Old May 24th, 2016, 06:45   #9
MWMan
Master Member

In regard to the foot rest, I fully agree with you. On a longer journey I seem to struggle a bit with the left leg. If I'm sat back in my normal comfortable position, I'm just too far away from the rest. If I move forward so the foot is comfortable, I'm too close in for the rest of me. If I put the car on cruise and bring both feet back to rest my legs, they hit the foot well wall just in front of the seat. Oh Hum.............

I am still debating whether to get one of these kits to see if it brings the footrest just forward enough to make any difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Footrest.JPG (34.2 KB, 4 views)
MWMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2016, 09:46   #10
Rubberpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWMan View Post
In regard to the foot rest, I fully agree with you. On a longer journey I seem to struggle a bit with the left leg. If I'm sat back in my normal comfortable position, I'm just too far away from the rest. If I move forward so the foot is comfortable, I'm too close in for the rest of me. If I put the car on cruise and bring both feet back to rest my legs, they hit the foot well wall just in front of the seat. Oh Hum.............

I am still debating whether to get one of these kits to see if it brings the footrest just forward enough to make any difference.
That's the problem. The footrest is further away from you than the loud pedal. I've tried the seat up, down, in, out and the steering wheel in or out to suit. I prefer to sit straight legged, so quite a way back for a short @rse. Either my left foot is unsupported or my right leg is bent.