Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 No start after filter drain.

Views : 526

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 11th, 2012, 15:21   #1
DG651

Default D5 No start after filter drain.

I am new to this forum, so apologies if I have not posted the old chestnut properly. I have recently acquired a wonderful 04 XC90 Exec, and I have been devouring the forum's information on the cold start problems; they accurately describe this week's pains to a treat - starts perfect, but cuts out after 30 secs. After a few goes at this the car goes into LIMP mode with the standard warnings. Following the forum's advice I have drained the fuel filter, then waited 90 secs with the ignition on to allow the pump to refill the filter; started OK, but after a tickle with the throttle the engine stopped, refusing to start again. A few too many attempts draining a perfectly good battery in the meantime. While the battery is charging, any recommendations on my next approach. I have failed to get the filter undone, even with a very good strap wrench.
DG651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2012, 15:39   #2
GJB
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG651 View Post
I am new to this forum, so apologies if I have not posted the old chestnut properly. I have recently acquired a wonderful 04 XC90 Exec, and I have been devouring the forum's information on the cold start problems; they accurately describe this week's pains to a treat - starts perfect, but cuts out after 30 secs. After a few goes at this the car goes into LIMP mode with the standard warnings. Following the forum's advice I have drained the fuel filter, then waited 90 secs with the ignition on to allow the pump to refill the filter; started OK, but after a tickle with the throttle the engine stopped, refusing to start again. A few too many attempts draining a perfectly good battery in the meantime. While the battery is charging, any recommendations on my next approach. I have failed to get the filter undone, even with a very good strap wrench.
You need to get the filter changed as it sounds like it is blocked, hard work to get of but persist and it will give need a very good strap wrench,once you have changed filter I am fairly sure your problem will be over.
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GJB For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 11th, 2012, 15:41   #3
chb
Master Member

Smile

Would echo the above.
Also to start the car...erm just keep trying the ignition. I virtually emptied my filter housing and just kept trying to start until it eventually did.

Would love to know if anyone comes up with a foolproof way or wrestling with the filter housing.
chb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chb For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 13:35   #4
DG651

Thanks for the help and advice - really liking this forum. Continuous cranking of the engine and still no start. I am now convinced that the fuel filter is completely blocked, or the pump has failed - can't hear anything with Ign on. First stop must be to get the soddin filter off; however, even with a very good, half inch drive strap wrench it still wont budge. Very worried about breaking the plastic casing. Is there anything else to take off the filter casing before removal? Or is it simply a case of wrapping the strap around what is visible and applying pressure. At 6'4" & 17 Stone I suspect I have enough strength to break the casing. Or am I just being a wus.
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 13:16   #5
DG651

Default Lessons Learnt

At last my XC90 is running sweetly. The fault WAS the fuel filter. Thanks everyone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DG651 For This Useful Post: