Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

£140 for a key - has my dealer missed a decimal point?

Views : 1659

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 13th, 2012, 07:05   #11
Nicks 850 broke!

Thanks Catflem - I'm loth to start hacking keys up to be honest.

Does anyone know can Volvo independents do the task?

Nick
Nicks 850 broke! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2012, 09:42   #12
t+m

The ecu reads the code on the chip via a pick up ring around the ignition switch,it then uploads a new code to the key,just as you say but the spare key which may not get used for months has an old code on it but the car still starts when its used so my thinking is that the ecu must have a limited number of codes its cycles around and so long as the inserted key has a code from the reference list it will allow starting,or the ecu can manage rolling codes from more than 1 key .my wifes 1996 peugeot has 3 coded keys and they all work regardless of when they were last used.when ive had chipped keys cut for fords and a mitsubishi they all worked ok,
t+m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2012, 18:16   #13
Nicks 850 broke!

Thanks t+m - at this age of car I understand from Timpsons that this is unique to Volvos but more common with other brands more recent - another feature Volvo got to early - the local manager rang a colleague with more experience on car key coding - apparently they are multiple rolling codes and this explains Volvo having said the £140 was to "cut and code key and match the key to the car". Thinking through using multiple keys with rolling codes the car has to be able to handle a number of them - looking at original 1996 850 Owner Manual it shows the immobiliser and coded keys as "extra equipment" and states that if a key is lost you have to take all the remaining keys to a dealer to be recoded! Oops!

I fear I need to be saving up £140.

Ho Hum

Nick
Nicks 850 broke! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2012, 21:49   #14
gjd
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catflem View Post
I believe some guys stick the old key (or the chip from it) inside the steering coloumn, and then get some keys without chips cut.

The old key fools the imobiliser into thinking the keys without chips have chips..... if you know what I mean .

Of course it also means that you no longer have an effective immobiliser.
Hello

and.... it could invalidate your insurance if the car is stolen! If you have stated in your proposal that you have a factory fitted (Volvo, and therefore rolling code) immobiliser, but you then go on to disable it and the car is stolen, the Insurance Company is surely entitled to refuse to pay out.
gjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 16:54   #15
david philips
panic captain manwaring ?

Question pity we are all so honest on the forum.

now some not so honest car owners would check there car insurance and claim a new key saying the key was lost.
david philips is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to david philips For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2012, 11:39   #16
BGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by catflem View Post
I believe some guys stick the old key (or the chip from it) inside the steering coloumn, and then get some keys without chips cut.

The old key fools the imobiliser into thinking the keys without chips have chips..... if you know what I mean .

Of course it also means that you no longer have an effective immobiliser.
I tried this trick with a V70 -00. Had a nonchipped key cut, and of course the car didnt start with it, but when holding the original key (the last one) close to the lock it started. Then I tried to find out a place to put the original key under the trim, but coudnt find a place where it worked. Even had the antenna ring out and hold the original key in center of it, but it didnt work. Is it very important where you have the chip versus antennaring or is my antenna bad?
Some time ago I had starting problem, but after seaching this excellent forum I just disconnekted the antenna and connected it again and the car has started ever since then.

Insurance is no problem - today we have one nonchipped key each in the family and the chipped key under drvers mat !

What chances are there Timpsons can make a working chipped key from all car data VIN etc. I dont like to send them the only chipped key I have?
BGA is offline   Reply With Quote