Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Blower direction problem

Views : 828

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 20th, 2006, 23:19   #1
JOHN 850

Default Blower direction problem

I am having problems on my own 960 blower system in that when I turn the direction knob to blow through the vents, it only does this for a short time & then no air comes through ! The fan is still working & doesn't vary in speed, the air does keep coming back through now & then? Has anyone had this problem - seems like one of flaps in the heater box has a mine of it's own ! Are they adjusted via an electronic actuator or by cables ?

Cheers,

John.
JOHN 850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 23:29   #2
740Estate
Undercover 740

I think I have this problem with mine.

I say 'think' as Ive yet to figure WTF is going on with the aircon yet, as well as fully get to grasps with using it!
-- Harry Carpenter, BBC TV, Boat Race 1977.
------------------------------------------------
Slidin' it round past the apex of reality
740Estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 02:27   #3
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

I believe that, once the desired setting has been reached (or the system thinks the desired setting has been reached) the system will cut the fans.

Try changing the temp setting drastically and do not adjust the fan speed.
See what happens, give it a minute to think. The fans should start blowing..

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 21:19   #4
Mike Arnold
Master Member

The ECC is a clever beast - perhaps too clever when things get old and flaky!

From my understanding it takes account of the strength of the sun, the cabin temp, the outside air temp and the temp that you set the knob to.

If it is way too hot it will set recirculate mainly through the face vents (I have never understood the choice of recirc but those clever Swedes probably know more than me). When it cools down a bit recirc is turned off but still using the face vents (in winter you complain about cold toes but in summer you complain about a hot face). If the sun shines it will cool the cabin by an extra 3 degrees to compensate for the infra red.

In winter it tries to warm your toes so does not select the face vents. The fun starts on a cold but sunny winter's day where it starts by warming your feet but then switches to cooling your face. Don't you love computers?

In summary, it switches between hot and cold, face and feet automatically. That's the definition of ECC.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 23:52   #5
JOHN 850

Problem is my 960 doesn't have electronic climate control, just the normal manual setup ! The fan maintains the speed it's set at, just that the specified direction doesn't ! Any further ideas anyone ?

Cheers,

John.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 00:38   #6
adamsky01
back for now

Default um

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN 850 View Post
Problem is my 960 doesn't have electronic climate control, just the normal manual setup ! The fan maintains the speed it's set at, just that the specified direction doesn't ! Any further ideas anyone ?

Cheers,

John.
try striping the whole unit down check the cables and the seals in side good luck to strip down is 9 hours each way
adamsky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 21:40   #7
Mike Arnold
Master Member

Oh, I did not know that some 960s did not have ECC. However, it might be that the manual a/c also uses vacuum servos - not sure, you would have to check this out. If so, a vacuum leak can cause the wrong vents to open which is not uncommon on ECC. A modest vacuum leak can be diagnosed by observing that the correct vent is open at tickover (or overrun) but at full acceleration the vent changes. This is due to the manifold vacuum available on these different conditions. If there is no leak the vacuum accumulator will hold the vacuum during full throttle.

Is this all a bit techie?
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 19:15   #8
JOHN 850

Thanks for that Mike - does make sense, although didn't realise that was how the vents worked ! Does sound like a vac leak from some where which makes it change direction - will see if diff. performance from engine changes the direction i.e. less or more vacum !

Cheers again,

John.