Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Heater and Air-con on 960

Views : 627

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 29th, 2006, 10:08   #1
davebutler

Hi All - recently bought a 960 estate from e-bay as a stop gap car, and have realised I really like it so would like to keep it, but wonder if anyone can help with a couple of points.
Just a few days ago on a long run, started to smell coolant in the car. No apparent leaks under the bonnet, or puddle on floor, or smell of coolant under bonnet. Has started to use water. Windscreen mists up a little when re-starting the car when hot. So I am thinking it is a matrix leak. having looked at a lot of the other posts, I shall try looping out the heater under the bonnet to confirm the location of the leak. Should it turn out to be a matrix, are they expensive, and how difficult to do (Lots of posts seem to indicate it's a bit of an SOB).
I have the (relatively useless) Chilton manual, and the first thing I realise is I don't even know what sort of Air-con I have ( or indeed how it works - no handbook).
The dash controls are three knobs (fan speed, air direction control and temp) and two buttons (recirc and A/C). Both direction and speed knobs have an "aut" position.
When you push either button, it lights up, but the compressor never runs (engine hot or cold - temp gauge on aut).
Is this ACC or ECC, and briefly how does it work (e.g.When the light is on does it mean the A/C should be on).

Finally, the self-levelling rear end has had it - two new dampers will cost more than the car did so that ain't gonna get done - anyone had any experience of other solutions. Some thoughts I have had are a monroe air levelling system (if available), helper springs ( the little coil ones that go inside the main springs), or a little wheel bolted to the towbar

Thanks
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 14:39   #2
volvobobbins

Thumbs up

Hi. I fitted heavy duty rear coil springs and monroe HD gas shockers to a 740 estate when the self levelers failed. Also used the small spring in spring inserts when towing. Regards. Bob
volvobobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 22:27   #3
minstrel
VOC Member

Unhappy heater and air con 960

I had exactly the samp problem with a 760, slight smell of coolant in car, particularly after hard acelleration ( higher water pressure from high revs). Finally after several weeks the heater matrix failed and steamed up the windscreen inside, with caravan on back of course !

I should have guessed the smell was telling me something.

Main dealer did the job, but it was a few hundred pounds but it was my only transport so I was a bit stuck.

Good luck, at least you know what to expect.

Cheers

Minstrel
minstrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 22:43   #4
minstrel
VOC Member

Default air con

I don't what model you have as the system changed a bit over the years, but basically the principal is the same.

If the recirc lamp lights (orange) then the main air flow is from the inside of the car.
If the air con button is marked OFF then pressing the button turns the system OFF and the lamp lights. On later cars the default position is air con ON, you make an effort to turn it off.

Earlier systems you had to press the button to turn it ON and the lamp then was lit.

If you leave all the controls in AUTO it should work very well, even without the air con bit, at least it will give you a constant temperature for most of the year.

If your system is not working the most likely cause is lack of pressure in the system. It may just need re-gassing for about £60 or it could be very expensive if there are leaks in the system.

It sounds as if you have a very tired Volvo

Cheers

Minstrel
minstrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 08:33   #5
davebutler

Thanks for the info - yeah the A/C button does indeed say A/C off - the car is a '93. Dunno what model it's meant to be - the log book says L, and the back of the car says 24v ( it also says Volvo, but I already knew that!), but it's got lots of toys - memory seat, 4 leccy windows, cruise etc.
You're also right about it being tired - it's done 210,000 miles but judging by the towbar probably spent a lot of them towing a small country around.
Pity really, as it's the best car I've had since my Senator (another straight six 3 litre) - goes like stink ( much to the disgust of many a young lad), and at 70 mph you can't hear the engine.
BUT it only cost 400 quid on e-bay, so I aint gonna spend lots on it - looks destined to become recycled into something smaller and lighter - a Hummer maybe.
Thanks again.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 09:55   #6
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Wink Steamy windows...

Hi,

I just wanted to say that your problem does indeed sound like a failing heater matrix. It is a SOB to do but it is doable if you're patient and methodical - doing it yourself will also save you several hundred £££s.

Regarding the air con, if you have a temperature dial marked with temperatures and an 'auto' position rather than a graduated red/blue band, then you have climate control - I'm pretty sure all 960s had this as standard. It works well, although it does take some getting used to on a cold morning - the fan roars away at full speed for a while to clear the screen then settles down a bit. It is noisy at first though!

The rear suspension can be fitted with non self levelling shock absorbers and matched springs. German Swedish & French sell the parts required for about £250 all in. That compares with about £250 a side for the Nivomat self levelling units.

I don't think that the 960 range was split into CS (customer spec) and FS (full spec) in 1993 - I think that came later, maybe in 1995. In which case, you'll have a 960 3.0 24v 204bhp car which is virtually Full Spec. I've had two and they're very very nice cars to drive.

All the best,
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote