Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 window seals

Views : 361

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 12th, 2023, 08:46   #1
Dippydog
Premier Member

Default C70 window seals

I'm thinking ahead here as there are more important things to attend to first, but to me there seems to be quite a significant gap between the rear edge of the door windows and the front edge of the rear windows on step daughters C70,so are the seals that fit the front edge of the rear windows available and are they easy to remove/fit?
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2023, 09:29   #2
Keith M

Default door seals

Hi, I've had a 2003 C70 for about 8 years now and early on noticed the same gap when closing the front doors.
I think that even with a convertible roof the seals are really good and it forces the window out a little if you close the door by pushing on the handle etc.
After a few instances of rain leaking in, I learnt to close the door by pushing on that rear upper part of the window and it closes up that gap nicely - no more leaks since.
Sorry - no high tech fix but it works for me.
On a similar note - if you close the door from inside just lower and close the window after to let the window come in.
Keith.
Keith M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2023, 13:30   #3
ITSv40
VOC Member

The seal on the front edge of the rear side window is integral with the glass. If the seal is damaged you need a good secondhand glass with a good seal.

If the seal is good but there is a gap between the rear window and the door window, or the windows are not seating in the roof seals correctly, the windows need adjusting. The glass can be adjusted up and down, tilted front to rear and also tilted in or outwards of the car. The roof needs to be closed and then all windows adjusted to the roof seals. There is a slight groove in the roof seal and the glass should sit evenly within the groove - if correctly adjusted. There should not be any gaps anywhere.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2023, 14:50   #4
Keith M

Thanks for the extra info.
I've just had a look at mine to see if adjustment is required.
Seal alignment all looks good and it seems to be just the pressure inside the car forces the window outwards a little when closing the door.
With the window opened just a little it also aligns nicely when closing.
Keith M is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith M For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2023, 15:21   #5
ITSv40
VOC Member

What a lot of folks forget is that the C70 was the most expensive model offered by Volvo back in the day. They were all hand built in their own dedicated factory at Uddvalla and the windows would have all fitted correctly when they rolled off the production line - with no gaps, draughts or leaks.

A couple of photo's showing the windows on my car as per the factory setting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Driver side.jpg (131.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20180405_006.jpg (168.0 KB, 8 views)
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2023, 17:13   #6
Dippydog
Premier Member

Thanks for the info especially about adjusting the windows.The seals have always looked undamaged to me although I've never closely examined them so I'll check those better and have a look at how well or otherwise the top of the window sits with the roof.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post: