Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2.5 TDI D5252T high-pressure fuel pump code?

Views : 633

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 17th, 2023, 19:34   #1
Quixy

Default 2.5 TDI D5252T high-pressure fuel pump code?

Hello and greetings to everyone as I'm a fresh user here from Estonia!

My 1997 2.5 TDI V70 recently died on the highway, because it couldn't get any more fuel from the tank to the engine. They checked at the workshop that the fuel filter was almost completely dry. So as it happened while driving, it can't be an immobiliser fault, but rather the high-pressure fuel pump fault.

So my question now: is it necessary to take off the old pump and find some specific serial number from it before I order another refurbished one?
Or is it just already enough to use the OE-code like this: 1275497 or 8111112 or the Bosch code, which looks like this: 0460415990 and I don't need to follow the specific serial number?

Why I'm asking it, is because I recently had to replace the ABS module with pump (OE code: 9467582) and it needed to have the same specific serial number as the old one I had.

Thanks for every user for the help!
Quixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2023, 21:49   #2
Baffler
Premier Member

Hello and welcome!

Have they tried to put a direct fuel feed to the pump and then try to start the engine? As this pump draws the fuel up from the tank could there be a vacuum leak at the filter housing or damage to the fuel lines underneath the car?

My understanding is the same fuel pump was used across all D5252T engines but I'll stand to be corrected on that. If you do need a new pump I would urge you to follow the Volvo part number and then do your homework when cross referencing VAG numbers.

There are some silly figures out there but this looks well priced https://www.teilehaber.de/itm/at-ein...c30677027.html and it's a new item.

Or refurbished and closer to home https://nerings.com/en/home/degviela...ctured_nerings

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2023, 10:11   #3
Quixy

Default About the vacuum leak

Thanks for the info! This Latvian company suits me better, yes

It's good to know that the problem could be else than the high-pressure fuel pump, but could there be any signs there, when we're talking about vacuum leak at the filter housing? Like before the accident losing power smoothly or something?

My problem just occurred rapidly, like the fuel would have ended in a second. By the way, the fuel gauge needle was just a tip over 10 litres at the moment it happened. So maybe I should replace the fuel tank sensor also? Could it be some typical problem of these V70 P80 models?

I wouldn't suspect the damage on the fuel lines as I looked under the car after the accident and also before I started my ride home several times and couldn't detect any puddle or something, also didn't smell any diesel fumes.
Quixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2023, 22:40   #4
brickman
Premier Member

Is the belt still on the fuel pump?
Is the signal wire to the relay /shut off valve still on the pump and energizes when ignition key on?
Does the fuel pump turn when the engine is turned over (to make sure cam sprocket isn't loose on the cam)?

These pumps don't really fail like ... working, then not working. They tend to fail slowly over time unless something broke, but unusual unless fuel contamination from water or petrol.

Fuel filter won't just go 'dry', once diesel is on a filter like that it will always stink of diesel. Sometimes the water drain under the filter doesn't work and is just for aesthetic purposes on some filters so cannot be trusted to remove water from the filter, your supposed to drain water from the filter every 6k I think.

Generally its a very very reliable engine in a reliable car. Its most likely your problem is fuel pump belt, relay or something electrical.
Old Sep 20th, 2023, 23:05   #5
Baffler
Premier Member

I was thinking about that, Brickman, but the fact that the fuel filter was empty/dry would indicate the fuel pump is doing it's job, pulling through all the remaining fuel from the filter, and the problem is either fuel filter housing, fuel line or fuel tank related...hence why I suggested to put a direct feed to the pump.

If there are no visible fuel leaks I would next look to the pick-up in the fuel tank as a suction hose may have dropped off. If memory serves me correctly the sender unit for the fuel gauge is at one side and the fuel pick-up at the other side...both accessible through inspection panels behind the rear seats so no need to drop the fuel tank. Apologies, I can't remember what side the pick-up is at but you should see fuel hose going to the pick-up and a wire harness going to the gauge sender.

https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...-tank/1005045/

https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...-tank/1056561/

Also, there is a white nylon pre heating valve on top of the filter housing that can crack and leak over time but I think you would be experiencing poor or intermittent starting if that was the case.

https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...e1096b3522b595

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2023, 10:33   #6
Martin Cox
VOC Member

The OP said the fuel gauge read just over 10 litres remaining. I'm not sure I'd trust my fuel gauge to be the last word in accuracy with so little fuel remaining. A low fuel level would aggravate any problem with the suction hose in the tank.

Martin
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote