Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 niggle

Views : 653

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 25th, 2006, 13:25   #1
camberwellbeauty

Am on day 5 of ownership of a pristine 1995 940 T SE estate, 117k on the clock. All seems to be going well but for one thing.....when the engine is warm and running well I can hear this strange 'put-putting' sound. Not engine speed related but pretty constant none the less. Not that loud either, but enough to be annoying!
I am sure that I read something similar in a forum that suggested it had something to do with fuel pump.....but I cant find the thread again. Anyone else had this sound or any good ideas? Definitely not exhaust related.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 15:40   #2
Kernow1

Red face

I get the very same sound on my '97 940 2.3 LPT. I asked the question here and it was suggested that the fuel lines were a possible cause, i.e the routing via the firewall.

i've kind of got used to it now, but still have a nagging doubt that it might be the little pump in the ABS module. It just seems to be coming from the right area under the hood, and varies with engine revs. Whatever it is, it doesn't seem to have any detrimental effects......other than being v.irritating !!!

Perhaps one of the Veteran 940 owners can shed more light.
Kernow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 18:37   #3
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

I have also posted on this issue.
The noise I hear is speed related, as the frequency of the putt-putt goes up with acceleration.

POssible cause is the noise of the fuel pump being transmitted through the fuel lines.
Suggested solutions:
Fit rubber between the fuel line fittings on the body
Turn stereo up...

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 13:06   #4
turkeybat1

Hi Also have this issue on my 940 2.3 LPT it varies with engine revs and annoys the hell out of me and I havnt found the cause yet. It does seam to be linked to the fuel system. One thing I have notice is that it stops if I squeeze the rubber fuel hose that runs on the nearside of the engine bay from the bulk head to the injecter rail. But thats it so far no joy. I had thought it might be one of the injectors playing up and the niose from that resonating in the fuel lines,, but ive got no further with it. as above there does not appear to be any adverse effects.
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 13:18   #5
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

I was once told by a Volvo trained mechanic that you will be able to hear a click from the injector units, and I must admit on my 940 there is sometimes an audible clicking from that area.
But it does not relate to the clicking I hear in the car.

However, if as you say it stops when you play/squeeze/hold that rubber fuel pipe, I would suggest that trying to modify connections to the body with that pipe (using rubber to insulate) may bring a resolution.
Or tying the fuel line away from the bodywork perhaps?
Maybe worht a try just to see..

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote