Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Coolant loss v70 t5 1999

Views : 814

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 8th, 2023, 23:23   #1
850timj

Default Coolant loss v70 t5 1999

Well my trusty 196,000 T5 has developed a thirst for coolant. It uses a header tank full in about 150 miles - a little variable. There are no visible external leaks, no sludge in oil or signs of leaky heater matrix. Rad probably 5-6 years old IRC. So i'm wondering about head gasket or cracked liner?
Is occasionally a bit of a stutter on start up. I took the plugs out and No 1 cylinder looks very clean when eyeballing down the plug hole - can read the letters on the piston - the others look more carbon coated.
Have just ordered block combustion tester kit but any thoughts? I was under the impression that HGF extremely rare and cracked liners were more 2.5 V70R and Ford territory?
850timj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2023, 00:34   #2
Alpine

leaking heater matrix? Check if the front footwell carpets are damp.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alpine For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 9th, 2023, 01:27   #3
Baffler
Premier Member

Indeed HG failure is relatively rare. Are you seeing excessive water vapour from the rear end?

Check the lower hose from the expansion tank to metal pipe at the rear of the engine. If the clip is loose or the hose has swelled it can allow coolant to seep past and burn off on the hot exhaust. If there is a deposit of fur on the metal pipe clean it off before refitting the hose.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 9th, 2023, 01:48   #4

I have a little experience in chasing Volvo coolant loss on my 1998 S70 Is the management light on?

Loose hose clip
Failing hose
Pin prick hole in expansion tank underneath that you can’t see
Faulty expansion tank cap
Small leak on thermostat housing M7 thread Torx screws
Faulty engine coolant sensor by thermostat housing
Faulty O ring on radiator drain plug
Faulty front coolant sensor
Pin hole(s) in radiator
Does the jiggle pin on the thermostat face the housing hole nearest the bulkhead to allow the system to be bled properly to get all the air out

Only use a Volvo OEM thermostat some aftermarket stats are slightly too large and get crushed on top slightly when tightening the housing hence not sealing correctly.

Heater matrix

Buy a head gasket testing kit from Ebay cheap enough and see if there are any gases in the coolant indicating blown head gasket.

Last but not least the 2 heater pipes going through the bulkhead into the cabin have O rings on them and are a common age failure. Are the carpets wet?

Last edited by 214299; Sep 9th, 2023 at 01:54.
214299 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 214299 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 9th, 2023, 10:30   #5

Default and my occasional stutter on start up….

was a dodgy Camshaft Position Sensor wire, at first I thought it was fuel related.

Apparently these sensors can be a common problem. They are cheap but a pain to fit.

There is a spring clip on the old sensor that needs to go onto the new one.
214299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2023, 15:21   #6
850timj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
leaking heater matrix? Check if the front footwell carpets are damp.
Sadly carpets are dry....
Old Sep 12th, 2023, 15:25   #7
850timj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffler View Post
Indeed HG failure is relatively rare. Are you seeing excessive water vapour from the rear end?

No. That is the slightly puzzling thing as now going from full to level warning light in 10-12 miles!! All that water must be going somewhere and its not obvious externally....

Check the lower hose from the expansion tank to metal pipe at the rear of the engine. If the clip is loose or the hose has swelled it can allow coolant to seep past and burn off on the hot exhaust. If there is a deposit of fur on the metal pipe clean it off before refitting the hose.
I did wonder about this as there is some furring on that connection. Also perhaps coincidental but after inspecting the piston tops, I had tried tightening the various hose clips and then usage has increased - but still nothing obviously visible.

Will try the combustion gas test and report back.
Old Sep 12th, 2023, 17:36   #8
Keith M

I recently had a very similar set of circumstances with my 2003 C70 2.0 at 186000miles.
It had started using coolant at about a rate of 1 litre every 200 miles or so getting slowly worse.
After searching a lot of the chats hear checked out pipework around turbo etc - all looking good. Could never find any coolant under car or signs in the oil.
When I took it in for its MOT, I asked the lad who did it if he would have a close look around for me. He thought there were indications around the water pump
I had the cambelt replaced by Volvo about 15,000 miles ago and they recommended not replacing the water pump at the time. (Hindsight wonderful).
Volvo recommended replacing pump without changing cambelt again, which I did this time as I had a bit more time on my hands (and less money )
I thought there seemed a little play in the old pump and wasn't completely convinced but a recent trip to Cornwall and back during the recent heatwave and all is good. No loss at all.
Happy days
Keith M is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith M For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 13th, 2023, 12:00   #9
850timj

Its a thought. I changed the waterpump with genuine volvo part 6-7 years ago, and did wonder if that would last as long as the original. I changed the cambelt early last year as had to do cam seals and no sign of leaking then. It is on my list to pull the cover off and have a look but have discovered damp carpet this morning, suggesting heater matrix is at least contributing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith M View Post
I recently had a very similar set of circumstances with my 2003 C70 2.0 at 186000miles.
It had started using coolant at about a rate of 1 litre every 200 miles or so getting slowly worse.
After searching a lot of the chats hear checked out pipework around turbo etc - all looking good. Could never find any coolant under car or signs in the oil.
When I took it in for its MOT, I asked the lad who did it if he would have a close look around for me. He thought there were indications around the water pump
I had the cambelt replaced by Volvo about 15,000 miles ago and they recommended not replacing the water pump at the time. (Hindsight wonderful).
Volvo recommended replacing pump without changing cambelt again, which I did this time as I had a bit more time on my hands (and less money )
I thought there seemed a little play in the old pump and wasn't completely convinced but a recent trip to Cornwall and back during the recent heatwave and all is good. No loss at all.
Happy days
Old Sep 13th, 2023, 12:06   #10
850timj

Quick update, as I know how annoying it is when people don't post what the issues and fixes turned out to be!
Combustion gas test proved negative. Water level a bit chaotic during that (?) and did witness some slight steam from exhaust but that was just after warming up, so guess could be normal exhaust condensation. Re-checked under passenger floor mat and is definitely wet in there. Surprises me it wasn't completely awash as had put another 0.5 litre of water in only to see the level drop again! So next step is have ordered up new matrix to fit at the weekend.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 850timj For This Useful Post: