Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear facing camera install?

Views : 667

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 16th, 2023, 01:49   #1
PRM00

Default Rear facing camera install?

Thinking about installing one in my 1997 960 wagon.
Wondering if anyone has done it and has some tips to share.
Specifically interested in how to run the wiring from the rear to the front.
PRM00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2023, 20:51   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRM00 View Post
Thinking about installing one in my 1997 960 wagon.
Wondering if anyone has done it and has some tips to share.
Specifically interested in how to run the wiring from the rear to the front.
I did it on my 760 estate, used the bracket supplied with the rear camera to hook round the roof metal where the tailgate seal is at the top then used the seal to secure it - surprisingly stable not to mention quick and easy! I did it originally as "proof of concept" and to see if it was in the right place and it was so good i left it alone.

The rear roof panel comes down with half a dozen or so 1/4 turn fasteners so you can easily run the wiring in from the centre across to the D pillar, drop the reverse light feed wire down the D pillar to connect to the reverse lamp on one side (i used the drivers side) then remove the grab handles/panic straps from the cantrail and the trim securing the headling along that side. Run the cable to the A pillar and then decide where you go from there. For me i went across the roof to the sunroof motor cover, cut a notch in the edge of it and dropped the cable down to the mirror as i had a mirror dashcam with reversing camera/rear facing camera capability.

I had also installed a 12V USB PSU unit similar to this to power the dashcam with a USB extension lead that i ran up the A pillar and across to the mirror :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165627980225

Not knowing the sort of dashcam/display you have for your camera i can't offer any more ideas, just what i did for mine..

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2023, 21:28   #3
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Which one have you gone for? I've only installed the front one (VIOFO A129 Plus Duo), probably won't bother with the rear one but if I did I would stick the cam to the rear trim panel and tuck the wire along the side trim, then meeting up with the power wire that runs behind the sun visor to the front cam.

Old Sep 17th, 2023, 21:53   #4
PRM00

Thanks! I'll give that a try.
PRM00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2023, 08:39   #5
SwannyUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggy798 View Post
Which one have you gone for? I've only installed the front one (VIOFO A129 Plus Duo), probably won't bother with the rear one but if I did I would stick the cam to the rear trim panel and tuck the wire along the side trim, then meeting up with the power wire that runs behind the sun visor to the front cam.

I have the same camera and i'm yet to install the rear one, but when I do, I'm planning on doing it this way.
SwannyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwannyUK For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2023, 10:32   #6
gpl1968
VOC Member

For a few years I have had a Nextbase 512GW and a rear facing camera attached to the rear window (top centre, within the swept area of the wiper). The lead runs along the top of the window, tucked inside the trim, then in through the hole for the hinge bolts (I notched the grommet to make it look neat) and then back into the car alongside the tailgate loom. This route keeps the lead away from the tailgate seal.
Removing the plastic trim at the back of the roof gave me access to run the lead into the car and then I just tucked it under the headliner along the r/h side back to the front cam.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20231002_101058.jpg (220.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20231002_101134.jpg (253.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20231002_101042.jpg (249.2 KB, 7 views)

1997 945 CD (B230FK) [RIP: 1991 945 Turbo (B230FT) 1992 945 SE turbo (B200FT)]
gpl1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gpl1968 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2023, 14:54   #7
baggy798
🤍💙💗

That's neat!

Another option might be the panel between the rear view mirror and the sunroof, or creating a little bracket near the courtesy light cluster in the centre. That way it would capture sides as well.