Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

[S70] Rear window stopped working?

Views : 1012

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 8th, 2003, 09:13   #1
liuleichan
Premier Member

Default [S70] Rear window stopped working?

I've just noticed, this morning, that the driver's side rear window isn't working.

Neither the controls on the drivers door, nor the individual one on the rear driver's side door cause any movement. Can't hear any clunks or attempted movements, either.

And just to be complete ;-) I have checked that the on-off switch isn't active - I'm not that dizzy!

The other rear door window is fine. I do tend to cycle them at once or twice a day, just to keep them moving - 'cos 99% of the time the car is used, I'm in it on my own.

Back in the winter, the passenger front window briefly stopped working - but I think it was frozen shut (ice) - 'cos it was pretty frosty, and later on in the day, it worked fine. That's the only time any of them have played up.

I have heard that when the battery is on the way out, sometimes you can experience oddness like this - as it seems modern batteries seem to be rather unpredictable in when they fail. I only mention this, because I've recently read comments about some odd symptoms before batteries fail, and that mine is probably due to fail, as it's most likely the original, and the car is from August 98.

Anyone had any similar issues, or got any pointers?

Lei Chan
liuleichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2003, 09:55   #2
liuleichan
Premier Member

Default RE: [S70] Rear window stopped working?

Well it seems OK, now.

Last night, I had a look at the external horizontal rubber seal, and it appeared to be a bit firm, against the pane.

So I gently lifted it, all the way along the window, just to break any build up of adhesion between it and the glass.

Didn't seem to make any difference at the time, I think then the window still wouldn't open.

But this morning I opened and closed all the other windows, then thought I'd try that one - it opened fine, with both the driver's door controls, and the switch on the actual door.

I suspect if the friction or resistance to movement is over a certain threshold, the window won't move, and a certain pragmatism is built into the circuitry. This certainly seems to square with when I think the front passenger window was frozen shut over the winter.

Still, alls well that ends well - no tricky diagnosis, or expensive repairs. Think I'll break at the silicone lubricant for the window seals this weekend, though.

Lei Chan
liuleichan is offline   Reply With Quote