Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bad running after new head gasket - cause?

Views : 28201

Replies : 386

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 16th, 2019, 20:04   #381
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Interesting. A good tale of persistence!

FWIW, I understand that aftermarket AMMs can be pretty dubious. A brand new genuine Bosch one might be an idea if you have any further trouble. They can be had for reasonable sums if you know where to look.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foggyjames For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2019, 13:23   #382
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Road test

I road tested today again - going well. And I think the old turboplus relay was a bit sticky due to non-use because now the turboplus comes in with a BANG at 4k revs.

That leaves

1. Cruise control not working.
2. Funny scraping noise coasting at low speed. Sounds like a brake partly stuck on but putting on the brakes does not stop it – might therefore be handbrake.
3. Excessive travel on handbrake.
4. Water getting into driver footwell. Might be the drains from the sunshine roof, might be the drains at left and right of scuttle panel, might be windscreen seal – I suspect this because I saw drips on the right hand (driver’s side) screen pillar the other day although that could also be a sunshine roof drain symptom. I have got a spare sunshine roof assembly
5. Repaint the gold calipers.
6. Respray roof and bonnet - extensive lacquer peel. I was thinking about a matt black bonnet and maybe a spray-on vinyl roof with pimp (or US hearse) portholes at the rear quarter. Left side also needs respray where she was vandalised.
7. Tastier exhaust! And louder air horns!
8. Revisit in-car audio
940 Sport M90 estate, N reg 100k miles, ex Lovejoy.
960 Estate, N reg, 56k miles, blown up and sold.
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rogerthechorister For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2019, 11:25   #383
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default The hand brake.

Cannot comment on any of the other “things to do” but regarding the handbrake. I’ve just completed a brake service and replace rear back plates on my 1992 940. Short time prior to starting the work the hand brake lever travel became excessive. Upon dismantling brakes found both hand brake shoe linings on the offside had broken and pieces were “floating around” in the drum.

Ian.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2019, 12:20   #384
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Oh bother

Scraping noise appears to be stuck caliper. Bah.

Water appears likely to be front right sunshine roof drain and that is an effing headlining out job at minimum!
940 Sport M90 estate, N reg 100k miles, ex Lovejoy.
960 Estate, N reg, 56k miles, blown up and sold.
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rogerthechorister For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2019, 22:05   #385
Dirty Rooster
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerthechorister View Post
Water appears likely to be front right sunshine roof drain and that is an effing headlining out job at minimum!
Seal it up (on the roof) with dodgy black bodge and refrain from ever touching the opening winder ... that's what I do!
Old Sep 29th, 2019, 22:47   #386
Miketwovolvos
Miketwovolvos

Assuming good compression and valve timing, plus good injectors (blocked injectors can cause poor idle which goes away at higher revs) the poor idle and lambda light I think are the main clues here. The ECU sets the idle and the fuelling based on the TPS and AMM amongst others. I have had weird stuff happen when the AMM was faulty or the 6 connector block fit was poor..I would change the AMM and check the resistance of the TPS...also, if it is over fuelliing then I would check the resistances of the temp sensors in the block...they can go bad and tell the ECU it is 30 degrees below..FInally, if you could get its emissions checked...it could be overfuelling due to a leak in the manifold (or elsewhere) that the garage replaced..oxygen gets in and the Lambda sensor reads it and the ECU overfuels...esp if it is in intermittent leak...good luck with it...the AMM is self cleaning so spraying stuff into it is probably unnecessary.
Check fuel line pressure also..a failing pump could cause some issues, but I think its more likely to be the AMM and/or the block sensors
Mike
Miketwovolvos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2019, 23:17   #387
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miketwovolvos View Post
Assuming good compression and valve timing, plus good injectors (blocked injectors can cause poor idle which goes away at higher revs) the poor idle and lambda light I think are the main clues here. The ECU sets the idle and the fuelling based on the TPS and AMM amongst others. I have had weird stuff happen when the AMM was faulty or the 6 connector block fit was poor..I would change the AMM and check the resistance of the TPS...also, if it is over fuelliing then I would check the resistances of the temp sensors in the block...they can go bad and tell the ECU it is 30 degrees below..FInally, if you could get its emissions checked...it could be overfuelling due to a leak in the manifold (or elsewhere) that the garage replaced..oxygen gets in and the Lambda sensor reads it and the ECU overfuels...esp if it is in intermittent leak...good luck with it...the AMM is self cleaning so spraying stuff into it is probably unnecessary.
Check fuel line pressure also..a failing pump could cause some issues, but I think its more likely to be the AMM and/or the block sensors
Mike
It's fixed - it was the MAF in the end. Also for future reference, the TPS isn't a sensor on these, it is two switches, one is made on a closed throttle (idle) and the other is made on a WOT (Full throttle) with nothing in between.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote