Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

440 1.9 TD Issue

Views : 4778

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 28th, 2011, 20:45   #1
Andyiow

Default 440 1.9 TD Issue

Having let my brother borrow my Volvo for a week whilst on holiday (returned today) I got text message from him saying that the car has no get up and go.

It was working fine on the Friday but come Monday morning it started but, in his words, had no boost. I think it may well be a hose issue or maybe the stop solenoid (replaced about 2 months ago) not fully opening.

It had a full filter change (oil, fuel and air) 5 months ago for its MOT and service. Had Wynns injector cleaner put in every 3rd tank (do not trust supermarket fuel that much)

The car has only done 81k but as I said before hoses I think may be the problem.

Any other advice and suggestions.

Thanks
Andyiow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2011, 08:49   #2
Adi2727
Flying Transylvanian

Check the hand pump placed on the fuel filter. If it's soft when the car has no "boost" this usually means problems with the fuel delivery. If the pump is soft, push several times until it gets hard and after a few seconds the engine should work better... also check for leaks on the fuel filter and lines.

Smoke? White smoke or black smoke?
Adi2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2011, 12:44   #3
Andyiow

Had a look at the car and at that time it drove as I expected plenty of power etc. However after having a look round and then taking it for a shortish drive I encountered the issue my brother was having.

Driving along accelerating away and then its like there is very little fuel getting to the engine. It did take about 10 minutes of driving before getting to that stage as a lot of 'Sunday' drivers on the road near my brothers.

I think that I am having a possible fuel tank pump problem as the gauge reads less than 1/4 tank so I think its picking up some crud and air as its doing the same thing as when my fuel shutoff solenoid was failing. Not sure if there is a lift pump in the tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi2727 View Post
Check the hand pump placed on the fuel filter. If it's soft when the car has no "boost" this usually means problems with the fuel delivery. If the pump is soft, push several times until it gets hard and after a few seconds the engine should work better... also check for leaks on the fuel filter and lines.
Something I will try later today.

Quote:
Smoke? White smoke or black smoke?
No blue, black or white smoke at all brother has driven vans when they have gone and knows the amount of smoke that comes out then
Old May 30th, 2011, 13:39   #4
Adi2727
Flying Transylvanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyiow View Post

I think that I am having a possible fuel tank pump problem as the gauge reads less than 1/4 tank so I think its picking up some crud and air as its doing the same thing as when my fuel shutoff solenoid was failing. Not sure if there is a lift pump in the tank?
There's no need to check your solenoid. I had the same problem and fix it about 2 months ago.
You don't have a fuel pump in the tank but you must open the gauge sender from the tank. There you will see that on the bottom of the long tube which sucks diesel from the tank, there is a rubber piece.
You must change (or tightening) the clamp screw witch holds that rubber piece on the steel tube... or drive the car with more fuel in the tank.

If you need other details, let me know.

Best,
Adi

Last edited by Adi2727; May 30th, 2011 at 13:41.
Old May 31st, 2011, 11:47   #5
Andyiow

Quote:
You must change (or tightening) the clamp screw witch holds that rubber piece on the steel tube... or drive the car with more fuel in the tank.
I think its a case of driving with more fuel in the car . Has done 570miles since it was last filled up so averaging about 53mpg.

Thanks for your pointers
Old May 31st, 2011, 17:17   #6
Adi2727
Flying Transylvanian

You have a good average. I often do 62mpg on intercity roads at an average speed of 100-110km/h. My best average is 72mpg (3.9L/100km) on highway at about 95-105km/h (in special conditions).

When you'll have the time you should check that rubber piece or will make you a hard time on short corners and climbing hills (when is less than 1/4-2/3 fuel in the tank).
It's not a hard job... I did it in 30 minutes.

Good luck!
Old May 31st, 2011, 19:19   #7
Chesh740R
Turbobricker

take the fuel filter housing out. Unscrew the bowl off and look in the bottom for shiny metal particles.

If there are any i'm afraid your diesel injector pump is about to die. As its return the shiny metal particles from the pump back to the tank, where it then sucks them up before they get stopped by the fuel filter.

Had the same lack of power issues with my 460td. would run fine and then play up. Eventually it just packed up completey and i had to change the injector pump.
Chesh740R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 09:54   #8
Andyiow

Typical, car has worked fine for the last 2-3 weeks no issues. Have kept tank with over half. Put £30 (25ltrs ish) this morning and the tank nearly full. Did about 40 miles and then all of a sudden loss of power will not rev over 2k in idle just chugs along even with foot hard to floor.

After about few hundred yards pulled over opened bonnet and checked throttle cable pull. Sounds like it seems to rev OK but not being able to see rev counter properly not able to say. Ticks over with not issues. Stopped engine and checked the hand pump and it was 'soft' gave it a few pumps until it hardened up a bit.

Quote:
Started car again left it for a minute and tried to drive along road still no power. pulled over to let cars past and then tried again and all was well again. After another 20miles it then started, as best I can say, 'surge' and then stop. Kept throttle position in the same place but felt like it had power then ran lumpy and then OK again.

Difficult to fix as not near home, commuting car, and do not trust garages that much.

Begining to wonder if a fuel line issue? I assume manual fuel pump before injectors. Hoping not injector fuel pump not issue got told its arounf £400+vat to fit .

Any other thoughts?
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 20:13   #9
Adi2727
Flying Transylvanian

There are a few things that you can check by yourself:

The easiest is to check if you have a stuffy tank by: disconnecting the main hose from the fuel filter and take out the tank cap; then blow some compressed air in the hose until you hear bubbles noise from the tank. This way you'll manage to temporary (some hundreds miles) clear your hoses from any dirt or deposits that might obstruct your fuel lines.

Next thing is to check the turbo actuator. There should be a shiny portion about 5-7mm on the actuator's rod. If there isn't this shiny portion this usually means trouble with the turbo, actuator or air lines which are going to turbo or IC.

I had trouble like yours when my fuel tank was stuffy, but also when my turbo died (which cost me a lot of money).

Other thing you might check is the EGR (if you have).

You might check the injection pump also (like Chesh told you). There is a special tool that can check the parameters of your pump.
Injection pumps are strong; I drive pure biodiesel, cooking oil and engine oil at about 300k km and works perfect... but who knows.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 10:32   #10
Andyiow

Quote:
There are a few things that you can check by yourself:

The easiest is to check if you have a stuffy tank by: disconnecting the main hose from the fuel filter and take out the tank cap; then blow some compressed air in the hose until you hear bubbles noise from the tank. This way you'll manage to temporary (some hundreds miles) clear your hoses from any dirt or deposits that might obstruct your fuel lines.
Will try that when I get the car back home and I will have to leave it there for a few days whilst I get to the bottom of this.

Quote:
Next thing is to check the turbo actuator. There should be a shiny portion about 5-7mm on the actuator's rod. If there isn't this shiny portion this usually means trouble with the turbo, actuator or air lines which are going to turbo or IC.
Would that be the 'lever' that goes to the round part in this picture marked number 1?

Only thing is the diagrams I have for the engine is for the F8Q 744 so I believe I have the older F8Q 742

Quote:
Other thing you might check is the EGR (if you have).
Think its around the area mark 2 in the previous pictures.

All I need to do now is to get all the parts in this diagram

and find out where they are in my car.