Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'99 V40 2.0T with (almost) all the goodies

Views : 1292

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 10:53   #11
Mav_UK

Default RE: '99 V40 2.0T with (almost) all the goodies

Mechanical mods are no problem (providing I can get some info first - I'll come to that when I eventually get the car!) as I said I've done loads to the spit - and reduced to 0-60 by 4 secs (that by not to :( )

But thanks for all your help - it looks as though it will be a 2.0T (and if the Dutch goverment hurries up and pays me what they owe it will be sooner rather than later). As for the white, it isn't as bad as I was expecting, the roof rails make it look reasonable and for a 3K eur discount I can live with it!

Can these things have nivomat self leveling suspension BTW. The form for the car said niv something, but the sales guy couldn't translate it to English but thought it was, and my (Dutch) other half, whilst speaking better English than me knows nothing about cars!

Stu

One thing though - nodoby yet has mentioned the mgp - is it that bad?
Old Jan 14th, 2003, 10:58   #12
Dan F
Premier Member

Hi.
MPG eh? Well I can get 34mpg out of the T4 on a run and the 2T used to return about 37. That was with Optimax however. It was a little lower with 95ron.
Round town, T4 = 22-25, 2T = 25-27

Cheers,
Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2003, 11:17   #13
Mav_UK

Much appriciated - that's roughly the same as the 440 I have now on a run, and I don't really do that much town driving anyway...

Thanks

Stu
Old Jan 14th, 2003, 11:17   #14
Dan F
Premier Member

Hi Mike.
The changes in performance are really quite dramatic, but the fuel consumption goes up somewhat, but that is probably due to me making more use of the loud pedal than anything else!! ;-)

There are some different variations of the device, and I am using the extreme one normally reserved for T5s. It has put my car on the very llimit of the stock ECUs parameters and probably the injectors as well. The next one down will probably be better suited to an auto.
Top speed can go down if you adjust the wastegate as the intake temp goes up quicker there by making the ECU limit boost sooner and robbing the engine of boost at higher speeds.
50-70 in 4th in my car takes 3.7 seconds, but it is manual though. Standard car is 5.2 seconds.
30-70 Through the gears is 5.9 seconds in a standard manual car in mine it is 4.7 seconds.
0-60 in a standard car is 7.4 seconds (read 6.9, never understood that as I always got sub 7 second times when it was stock), but in mine (getting traction with this beast is very hard, I haven't managed to do it with no wheelspin yet, daren't turn the DSA off...)it is 6.1 seconds. Good job that 0-60 isn't the best indicator as accelerating whilst moving and making the other car look like it is standing still is the most fun!!
All these times are the average of 4 attempts, some dry and some wet and with the average temp at 12C.

Hope that helps,
Dan.
Old Jan 14th, 2003, 15:11   #15
Mav_UK

Sorry guy's another question. I've seen another 2.0T. One year older but 140K km. So it's still less than 100K miles, but I was wondering what are the engines good for and what things are likely to be knackered at this milage?

Thanks in advance (again)

Stu
Old Jan 14th, 2003, 16:34   #16
Dan F
Premier Member

Hi Stu.

If it has been regularly serviced then I can't see much problem.
I have gone over 150,000 miles in every Volvo I have had and they were all great. A 360, a few 400s and now 2 x40s. I have no reason to think that the x40s will last any less time than the others, however I didn't really play with those like I have with these 2. ;-)

Having said that, if left stock I am sure they will be good for 200,000 miles plus.

Personally, I would drive both and go for the one that feels, goes and sounds the nicest. If it is the higher mileage one, fret not, just treat it to regular and frequent oil changes, and sparkers every now and again and you won't go far wrong. High mileage and a good, regular service history means the engine will be healthy and have been looked after.

Cheers,
Dan.
Old Jan 14th, 2003, 16:55   #17
Mav_UK

Thanks I'll give them a shot and see....

One thing I wont be doing though ismodding a high miler... I'll only do that with the white 70k km one. Which is actually a reason for my other half to go for the 140k km one :)

Thanks

Stu
Old Jan 15th, 2003, 09:47   #18
Dan F
Premier Member

Hi.

My T4 is on 84,000 miles (approx 130,000 km) at the moment with my 2 mods. (K&N panel filter and calibrated bleed).

No probs whatsoever, it doesn't even use any oil.
So as long as the car is basically sound, then it won't hurt for a few basic mods if you so desire.
However I would never advise modding a car that isn't in 'A1' condition in stock form.

Cheers,
Dan.