Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Crankshaft locking tool to borrow?

Views : 5984

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 29th, 2012, 10:19   #11
Unreal master tech

Point taken?!

Last edited by Unreal master tech; Jan 29th, 2012 at 10:29.
Unreal master tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 10:28   #12
Unreal master tech

Well if it's an auto put your bar on it and hold it get someone to quickly flick the ignition on enough just to flick the starter and the torque of the engine will be more than enough to slacken it. I am only suggesting alternatives to try if you have the tool use the tool if not don't be scared to try thinking of something else, like the tool could exchange for a decent screw driver, punch or something else as long as it is strong enough!
Unreal master tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 17:21   #13
dongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade555 View Post
Maybe bit of topic but I got hold of Cordless Impact wrench which will remove the nut with out any aditional tolls, also comes handy in lot of another application, you can get a electric corded one with 450nm for about £65
This may sound stupid but I also need to remove the crankshaft pulley to change my V70's timing belt and I was weighing whether or not to buy the counterhold tool #999 5433 and I saw your comment:

What I don't understand is Won't the impact wrench just make the pulley spin? I thought the point was that it needed to be secured by the counterhold tool (or some other method) while you take the bolt off otherwise it will just turn with the wrench.

thanks, Don
dongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 18:30   #14
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongo View Post
This may sound stupid but I also need to remove the crankshaft pulley to change my V70's timing belt and I was weighing whether or not to buy the counterhold tool #999 5433 and I saw your comment:

What I don't understand is Won't the impact wrench just make the pulley spin? I thought the point was that it needed to be secured by the counterhold tool (or some other method) while you take the bolt off otherwise it will just turn with the wrench.

thanks, Don
These "impact" guns have a strong hammer action which shocks the nut/bolt free,
However the main trump the volvo counterhold tool has is it allows you to hold the pulley whilst you torque up the Nut to 300 nm . Don't ever use an impact gun to do the nut up , because you don't actualy know what torque it is done up to with an impact gun , insufficient and it can come undone and wreck the engine , too tight and you can shear the whole thread off the crankshaft and therefore wreck the engine ..
Old Dec 13th, 2012, 01:02   #15
JDRubin

Default Crank Lock

If you don't use the proper tool, one way or the other, the crankshaft resists the torque necessary to remove the nut. So locking the engine will cause the torque to be resisted by the entire crankshaft, and using an impact driver will cause the front of the crankshaft to take the load. Incidentally, I have an old Gravely tractor and they recommend allowing the crankshaft to resist the torque. They actually recommend removing the spark plug, rotating the engine so the piston is down, then filling the cylinder with a length of rope! The Gravely engine is really beefy and can probably handle this abuse without damage. In my opinion, the only safe way to remove the Volvo nut is to use the tool as intended. I'm sure the people who built the car were aware of the existence of impact drivers and probably the rope trick as well.
JDRubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2014, 00:58   #16
D5meister
Premier Member

I tried to undo my D5 crank pulley and tried all the old tricks but I failed and took it in to Volvo in the end.

I used a 3 foot pipe on my 1/2 drive snap on wrench - I was seeing stars!!
D5meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2014, 02:13   #17
bongodave
I've Been Banned

Put itin gear or drive and get someone to stamp on footbrake. Always worked for me.
bongodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2014, 09:31   #18
Clan
Experienced Member

It isnt the undoing which is a problem it is the doing it up to 300 nm ! needs a positive lock .
Old Jan 15th, 2016, 15:46   #19
ampmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade555 View Post
I used Sealey CP2450 - Cordless Impact Wrench 24v 1/2"Sq Drive 410lb.ft and didn't have much of a problem, the reson why I recomended corded one was due to price, the cordless one is nearly £200, have a look on machine mart webside

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...-impact-wrench

Looking at the spec it should do the job 450nm
Maybe you were fortunate with your nut. I have done a few D5 cambelts and have struggled with the nut and have a very power powerful 1/2" drive air wrenches.
I have just done one and a 24" knuckle bar was with my entire strength would not undo it.
I ended up by passing all the safety devices and cut outs on my spare compressor and had to crank it to 225psi (not recommended or safe folks!!!) to undo the nut. Even then it took three attempts.
ampmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2016, 16:07   #20
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampmaster View Post
Maybe you were fortunate with your nut. I have done a few D5 cambelts and have struggled with the nut and have a very power powerful 1/2" drive air wrenches.
I have just done one and a 24" knuckle bar was with my entire strength would not undo it.
I ended up by passing all the safety devices and cut outs on my spare compressor and had to crank it to 225psi (not recommended or safe folks!!!) to undo the nut. Even then it took three attempts.
My impact wrench took 2 seconds to remove my D5 crank nut.
Just saying........ I'm not gloating or anything. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tyr6AMMjvs8