Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Towing audible alerts

Views : 3821

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 18th, 2014, 23:12   #1
Dave Given

Default Towing audible alerts

Hi
I'm new to the forum and have a towing question.
I have bought a new XC90 and had a Witter tow bar fitted at half the cost of that quoted by Volvo.
When I indicate there is an audible signal repeater coming from the rear area - is this a Volvo thing or is it part of the Witter fit? I get the indication on the dash that the indicators are functioning ok but can I turn the audio off? It is quite irritating.
Also, whilst towing on the way to the caravan park all was well. On the way home however, there was a 1 second tone (similar sound to the repeater) which sounded every 90 seconds from when I set off. I stopped and checked all was correctly connected but once underway the sound continued. I fiddled with the headlights on and off and eventually it stopped - anybody any idea what this 1 sec audio tone was for please?
Thanks in anticipation
Regards
Dave
Dave Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2014, 23:37   #2
Rooster
Speed freak

Has it got volvo 13pin wiring or mickey mouse wiring fitted,

If its volvo then there is just the visual display on dash when you indicate and no audio,

If its got mickey mouse wiring then it could have anything installed
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2014, 23:44   #3
Dave Given

It has a 13 pin socket fitted by Warrington Trailers but that doesn't give it any credibility!

So, from your reply, with a Volvo fit, is there a difference between the visual indications displayed on the dash when solo and when a trailer is attached when you indicate?

Last edited by Dave Given; Apr 18th, 2014 at 23:59.
Old Apr 19th, 2014, 22:28   #4
kenny37

On my self fitted Volvo wiring installation I get a secondry flashing indicator in the lower right hand portion of screen. This is on a 2006 p2 v70 and am pretty sure my dads v70 p3 is the same both without the bl...y annoying beep
Old Apr 20th, 2014, 09:41   #5
jayhl7

Cool

When I had a towbar fitted I complained about the beeping and was told It had to be fitted! (legal reasons) I have found the noise box ( close to spare wheel in my v70) and used tape to lower the volume! Cheers Jay
jayhl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2014, 11:18   #6
Rooster
Speed freak

As stated above xc90's are same with visual indicator on lower right hand side of dash,

I don't think the genuine volvo wiring is to expensive and its a complete doddle to fit, alot easier than messing around trying to find what each wire does so you can tap into it,

I had a bleeper on a old 406HDi i used to have and electrics started playing up due to water leak in boot so i sorted leak and while i had panels out i ripped bleeper out and threw it in bin
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2014, 16:13   #7
Dave Given

Thanks Rooster et al

I'm sorry, I wasn't sure if the indication was that of the normal indicator function or a secondary indication as well - now understood.

I'll try and track down some original Volvo wiring - in the mean time the tape sounds like the way ahead.

Thanks again

Dave
Old Apr 20th, 2014, 16:19   #8
harveys
Master Member

A lot of new cars now programming at the main dealer if they are autos,and it turns off the reverse sensors when hitched up.
harveys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2014, 12:27   #9
DC850
VOC Member

By law you most have either a audible or visual indication when trailer is attached and the indicators are on, but inactive if solo.
The audilble one is the one usually used by general fit systems as they do not have to interface with the cars wiring to the dash. And thus the preferred method by at no genuie installer. When I had my fitted I stated that the dash light is the method I what and they did it.
DC850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2014, 18:28   #10
wheelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC850 View Post
By law you most have either a audible or visual indication when trailer is attached and the indicators are on, but inactive if solo.
I don't think that this is the case. Mine has the Volvo wiring which shows if one of the trailer lights fails, but, if connected and working correctly, there is no indication (audible or visual) that there is anything different to solo.
2012 V70 Drive SE Lux, 2000 V70 SE2.4: 2000 V40 1.8SE: 1997 S70 2.0SE
Garage - Mercedes SLK & Honda CM400T
wheelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wheelnut For This Useful Post: