Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fuel gauge erratic (common question I'm sure!)

Views : 14413

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 11th, 2016, 23:53   #21
bgarston

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_N View Post
i can get to 250 but i think for safety sake when you dont have a fuel gauge, deffo go for 200. I remember when my fuel gauge wasnt working, The car started coughing badly and even cut out at one stage doing round a roundabout Managed to get it the 4 miles back home. God knows how

Every 200 miles! The fuel gauge on my '96 940 2.3LPT is also playing up so I fill up every 300 miles at the moment (.....and I do a lot of start/stop/30mph town driving). Anyway I have asked for price for a new sender unit at MRG recently and the part could not be found on the system! I am keeping the car, its the most reliable car I have ever owned and an getting all of it's little niggles finally sorted out. With this in mind does anyone know where I can get a new genuine Volvo sender unit please?

Thanks

Ben

1996 Volvo 940 CD 2.3 LPT (His) & 2003 Volvo V70 SE D5 (Hers....until it goes wrong!)
bgarston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2016, 12:43   #22
deeman940
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephend View Post
I get something like that with my speedo. Once in a while it doesn't move off zero until I give the top of the dash a thump! Almost always when the weather's cold and damp. I don't know if the problem's electrical or mechanical.
LOL...I have the same problem! I gave up hitting the dash as I didn't want to damage it! it doesn't bother me most of the time but it would be handy to know the exact speed when going through cameras etc.
deeman940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2017, 22:59   #23
WUMPSTER

http://www.autotronics.co.uk/service...EZAaAkUf8P8HAQ
WUMPSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WUMPSTER For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 26th, 2017, 10:55   #24
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

It's almost certainly the gauge playing up, you need to work out if you have a Yazaki or VDO instrument set before even trying to obtain a second hand one.

Something you can try and will possibly help (it fixed several faults on my last 740) is removing the instruments, clean the copper tracks on the PCB where they enter the holes for the multiplugs (fine emery cloth is good but be gentle) and also clean the copper "fingers" on the multiplugs with the emery.

Then using something thin but strong enough, preferably non-metallic, get "behind" the copper "fingers" and bow them out a bit so they have more of a curve so they're more like they were when they left the factory. Over the years they get compressed by being in the holes/sockets in the back of the panel, any movement will cause strange things to happen on the connections.
You could also strip the instruments down and remove the fuel gauge and try the IPA (Iso-propyl alcohol) trick then blow dry with compressed air.

Take your pick on the IPA :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...spray&_sacat=0

Also check the solder joints on the fuel gauge board, could be a dry joint there somewhere.
Alternatively i made one using an LM3914 and a 10 segment red/green LED bargraph display - worked well.

I did eventually change it back to a conventional set of instruments as the odometer had packed up as well and the mileage had been stuck at 182k for a few years!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2017, 11:44   #25
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Driving for economy suits the 740 (B230) character well, I've achieved as much as the high 30s with my car - an auto.

Diesel (D24) economy not better; I've had one.

Jon.

N.B gauge an easy fix, the solution's already on the thread (and many before).
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote