Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

740. 2.0ltr Petrol B200F spares or project. Manchester Area

Views : 1459

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 14th, 2016, 11:03   #1
resurgam
resurgam

Default 740. 2.0ltr Petrol B200F spares or project. Manchester Area

After 10.5 years together, the 'stop gap' 740 I bought to replace a stolen one has finally been nailed by the MOT. Flexible brake hoses being a main culprit - perished and refusing to budge of the main brake line coupling after 25+ years of road grime, rock salt and weathering. Rear shocks both gone completely. Excessive play in lower front suspension ball joint ( n/s). Other than that it is tatty and tired with plenty of dings dents scrapes, usual lower o/s wing corrosion at the bottom and the headlining is begining to sag, trim cracks and dispalement on the tailgate plastic. Electric sunroof still works fine though, but drivers heated seat gave up about 12 months ago - burnt through the much worn seat upholstery and shorted. Instruments have a life of thier own, choosing to work as and when they like and jumping around a lot, though fuel guage is fine. True mileage is nearer 250K as these is second set of clocks installed from a 745 just after I aquired the car in 2005. I average 24.5 mpg for most journeys - which is the only thing I will not miss - sticking £40 a week in it just to get to work and do a few site visits.
On the plus side? Hmm.. New recon steering rack and recon steering pump only last year. new Alternator last year too, new tailgate struts, new exhaust system fitted from just behind the cat to the tailpipe at the start of this year, and new plugs fitted and injectors cleaned out in January.
Engine runs fine, has had head skimmed and re fitted about 7 years agon due to broken cambelt, is very oil tight - with just a dribble from the filler cap seal catching the water pump - so two new 'top hat' seals in the last 7 years too. Facelift model, comes with a spare o/s headlight and trim ( hard to source) and the aforementioned new flexi brake hoses - for those who like a challenge. Too good to break? maybe - I was hoping someone - perhaps a younger member might want a project? Taxed until 1st March, if no takers then it's the breakers. How about £100.

I now own a 2004 V50 2.0ltr diesel ( but for how long I don't know) - no comparrison, souless and impractical, save for the mpg. I'm really going to miss this old bus but its too much for me to do up and I can't be off the road for the time it would take. They will never build cars like this again and that's a fact. Mike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front view bonnet ding.JPG (78.6 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg side view.JPG (129.4 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg lower wing.JPG (80.9 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg engine bay.JPG (100.6 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg drivers cabin view.JPG (102.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg main front cabin.JPG (119.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg brke hoses and suspension bushes.JPG (65.1 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg CAT everything aft is new.JPG (67.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg ns brake hoses and bushes.JPG (82.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg sump and drive pulleys.JPG (90.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg tailgate view.JPG (110.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg underneath view.JPG (45.1 KB, 36 views)
resurgam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to resurgam For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2016, 19:59   #2
volvobusman
busman

Default still for sale

Hello, is your car still for sale , cheers Andy
volvobusman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2016, 07:41   #3
resurgam
resurgam

Hi Andy, yes the old bus is still in the garage. still awaiting new owner.
Old Feb 15th, 2016, 15:35   #4
volvobusman
busman

Default 740

Hello again, I'm very interested but I'm away in wales until Friday, I live nr Chorley, could send you some money via PayPal if you can PM your email address as a deposit, not much signal here in Snowdonia lol, cheers Andy
Old Feb 15th, 2016, 17:43   #5
resurgam
resurgam

No worries Andy. If you are serious I can ensure you get 1st refusal and hold it until youv'e had a look at it when you are back from Wales. Say this weekend? Chorley only up the road, I'm just at the start of the M61 (M/cr 27) so on the right side of town if coming in from Chorley and about 5 miles out from city centre. Mike. PS. forgot to mention fuel pump is just starting to buzz underneath too, so may drop price some more.
Old Feb 15th, 2016, 20:00   #6
volvobusman
busman

Default 740

Hi Mike, yrs serious about it, I have a 940 and my father in law has a 740, if you can keep it until Saturday that would be great, whereabouts are you, I'm the right side of Chorley in Adlington, cheers Andy
Old Feb 16th, 2016, 13:33   #7
resurgam
resurgam

No probs Andy. I'm in the Swinton Area of North West M/cr outskirts. Follow the M61 South until it stops and blends in to the old L'pool to M/cr East Lancs Road ( A580 ) from the slip road. ( Beware the stupid new dedicated bus lane and crossing lights they have installed here!). then its a quarter mile straight on to the 1st set of proper traffic lights you come too where Moorside Road crosses, - there a pale blue steel footbridge over the A580. Turn left in to Moorside & I'm just 2 mins from there.
Old Feb 16th, 2016, 15:23   #8
volvobusman
busman

Default 740

Hi Mike, sounds good , if you want to pm me a number and I will ring you Saturday morning, cheers Andy
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 04:11   #9
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default If

If this does not sell, (or if you have spare ones in stock) I'm after a pair of the plastic bits that go on the corners of the top of the back of the rear seat pretty please.
940 Sport M90 estate, N reg 100k miles, ex Lovejoy.
960 Estate, N reg, 56k miles, blown up and sold.
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 20:16   #10
resurgam
resurgam

Ah, if only I had"stock" I'd be keeping it ! But I hear what you say. The ones on this old bus areverychipped and battered from lowering the rear seats. I used it a lot as a "truck" to carry building matetials when doing the house up over several years sothe seats were constantly up and down week in week out.