Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Buying my very first caravan

Views : 3761

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 26th, 2016, 21:23   #21
volvo145
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munro83 View Post
Got one fully fitted for £325
In Aberdeen /Peterhead area?
volvo145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2016, 21:32   #22
Dibble
VOC Member

Quote:
Yeah it was total price including towbar & fitting etc
Do you think £1000 is a reasonable price? They were £850 for a fixed towbar
£735 for a detachable towbar, fitted, at your Volvo dealer. £635 for standard one.
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2016, 12:42   #23
Munro83

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo145 View Post
In Aberdeen /Peterhead area?

Aye, alg towbars- comes to your house
Munro83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 09:32   #24
Munro83

Hi well we've finally gotten a caravan, 1999 swift challenger 520se. It's awesome, came with all accessories including full awning and canopy. Any I've got 2 questions- as a total newbie when I got a towbar fitted I got a standard towball fitted. After towing the caravan home I realised it had a alko hitch. It towed fine but I'm worried something could go wrong. Could it be fine? Or for the sake of £30 get it changed?
Also it has a full size canopy. The guy I bought it from says it's ok to travel with it still attached, rolled up in the pouch, but I'm not sure. Any advice?
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 10:30   #25
volvo145
Premier Member

When you say an alko hitch do you mean one of thesehttp://http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252444761785?rmvSB=true or a standard head.
If it has a Alko stabilizing head please make sure your car has the proper tow ball which has a longer neck than a standard one.If you don't fit one your stabilizing head WILL break.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maypole-500...=alko+tow+ball
This one for example is just as good as the Alko one but costing a lot less.

Last edited by volvo145; Jul 5th, 2016 at 10:34.
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 12:53   #26
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Any I've got 2 questions- as a total newbie when I got a towbar fitted I got a standard towball fitted. After towing the caravan home I realised it had a alko hitch. It towed fine but I'm worried something could go wrong. Could it be fine? Or for the sake of £30 get it changed?
Also it has a full size canopy. The guy I bought it from says it's ok to travel with it still attached, rolled up in the pouch, but I'm not sure. Any advice?

If you have the alko hitch, get the alko ball for your car. There is a reason they make one. The ball is the same size as any other ball but it has a longer length so as to accommodate the bulk of the alko hitch and the movement. Remove any paint or rust off the ball and also never grease the alko ball, as the alko hitch has pads in it to stop swaying and needs a firm grip. I have towed an alko equipped caravan with a standard ball, but simply for the purpose of moving a couple of miles, but would not do it day in day day out. For the sake of a few quid get the proper alko ball.

Regards your canopy it is impossible to say. Some canopies are intended to be fitted to the body of the motor home or caravan and are designed and fine to stay fitted when towing, whereas others may simply slide into the awning rail, and not be as secure. If it is the latter I would personally prefer to remove it when towing.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 23:32   #27
Munro83

Yeah it's that alko hitch. I will get the alko towball, speaking to a lad who towed without changing the towball and wrecked the towbar, I'm not risking it
The Following User Says Thank You to Munro83 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2016, 07:35   #28
volvo145
Premier Member

I should have said welcome to the Swift caravanners Club and I hope you enjoy it.
There are forums that you can join including the Swift owners one run by Swift themselves for info for your van.
Was that the van that was for sale at Inch?
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo145 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 14th, 2016, 00:05   #29
richardbell556

http://www.hedley-towbars.co.uk/prod...?cat=VOLVO+V70

that's a lot for a tow bar
this firm's just fitted the towbar to my fiesta 08 £230 single elec at the door . even if you had to travel to the workshop in durham i couldn't see it costing £1000 fitted.
richardbell556 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to richardbell556 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 14th, 2016, 00:40   #30
richardbell556

Default alko

as far as i understand it the standard ball and alko ball is a standard ball size . so can be used IF/IF YOU DON'T TURN TIGHT TO MOVE A VAN (RECOVERY) it has clearance at rear ect. Some standard tow hitch balls are close to the rear bumpers (space behind ball) so a replacement alko ball has a longer neck.

a alko and standard ball towing a standard hitch uses a touch of grease in the ball face.

to use a alko hitch to either ball types if needed the ball MUST BE FREE OF PAINT, RUST AND GREASE as the friction pads will be contaminated needs replacing.
so the alko ball may come painted black this needs sanding off with fine paper and alcohol cleaned before use with the alko hitch . THEN rust removed and degreased before each use .

this in turn means if you wish to tow a small trailer .you will need to apply a spot or two of grease to the ball with the standard type hitch and degrease before you use you caravan alko hitch/ball
richardbell556 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to richardbell556 For This Useful Post:

Tags
audo