Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Towing question trailer weights

Views : 3341

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2017, 08:37   #1
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

Default Towing question trailer weights

Hello all, I have a question and reading online it's only making me even more confused. So my VW transporter van has a maximum towing weight of 2000kgs.
So this means I can only tow trailers with a gross weight of 2000kgs. Now we have a new trailer at work with a gross plated weight of 2600kgs. If this trailer is empty can I tow it? I thought if the trailer is plated above my towing weight the law does not care if the trailer is empty of stacked with bricks it's plated over my towing weight so you have the capacity to be over weight. Am I correct?

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Executive, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2017, 11:28   #2
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

Thers a lot of confusion about this
Police have done people for towing an empty trailer with plated max weight above the cars limit.
On the other hand if actual weight is within all limits then you should be ok
Hard to prove, magistrates simply rubber stamp whatever "crime" they are presented with
Dont go there.

You could get a data plate made up for the trailer saying for example 1999kg, but then you cant put the extra 600 in.
Old Jan 19th, 2017, 13:25   #3
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoid View Post
Thers a lot of confusion about this
Police have done people for towing an empty trailer with plated max weight above the cars limit.
On the other hand if actual weight is within all limits then you should be ok
Hard to prove, magistrates simply rubber stamp whatever "crime" they are presented with
Dont go there.

You could get a data plate made up for the trailer saying for example 1999kg, but then you cant put the extra 600 in.
yes your right there! my friend was done for towing a flat trailer completely empty with a land rover but the trailer was plated at 3000kgs. Local traffic plod issued fine and 6 points!!! the actual weight was obviously far less than the plated weight as the trailer had nothing on it but they didn't care about that because he had the capacity to load it and be over weight for the land rover. it was only a Freelander mind!

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Executive, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2017, 18:43   #4
Simon Jones
Premier Member

That's nuts. By that logic, they could have nicked him for speeding as his vehicle has the capacity to travel at 100 mph even though he may have been traveling well within the limit. I'd have just told them I was delivering the trailer and had no intention of putting a vehicle on it.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2017, 19:55   #5
Rooster
Speed freak

Simple answer is yes you can but instead of max trailer mass been 2600kg it is reduced to 2000kg as that is the max towing weight of the towing vehicle,

Ive also heard of it been done other way aswell with max trailer weights been reduced on the trailer chassis plate so for instance somebody without a B+E licence could tow it without been over the 3500kg limit,
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2017, 19:58   #6
Rooster
Speed freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 View Post
yes your right there! my friend was done for towing a flat trailer completely empty with a land rover but the trailer was plated at 3000kgs. Local traffic plod issued fine and 6 points!!! the actual weight was obviously far less than the plated weight as the trailer had nothing on it but they didn't care about that because he had the capacity to load it and be over weight for the land rover. it was only a Freelander mind!
I would have contested that
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2017, 23:25   #7
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

There's loads of bollurks going around forums on trailer weights....

If DVSA/VOSA or Plod wish to prosecute you or issue you with a FPN for exceeding the maximum towing capacity of a vehicle or maximum authorised mass then they first have to establish what the actual weight of the trailer is - and that means taking it to a weighbridge or using axle scales which some authorities now carry. So if you have a Freelander which has a towing capacity of 2000Kg, and you have a trailer which is plated with a kerb weight of 1000Kg and a maximum gross weight of 3000Kg and it has a 600Kg load (i.e. 1,600Kg total) then that is 100% legal.

It has never been an offence to tow a trailer which is plated with a maximum gross weight that is above the maximum towing capacity of the vehicle [providing its actual weight is within capacity]. Probably up to a half of HGV's on UK roads are in this configuration.

ALSO - The offences of overweight vehicles and trailers - where dealt with via a Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN) - are dealt with by a fine depending on the percentage that the vehicle is overweight (5-10% overweight £100, 10-15% overweight £200, 15%+ overweight £300). It is a non endorseable FPN offence so NO POINTS are added to your license. If you are more than 30% overweight then it's a court summons. So far as I am aware - the only FPN offence that carries six points is driving without insurance. A Policeman or VOSA/DVSA cannot give you points for overweight vehicle/trailer offences, it has to go to court for that.

This may help - page 18:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ler_owners.pdf

"It is perfectly acceptable for a goods vehicle to
be used with a maximum plated train weight of
less than the combined plated gross weights
of the vehicle and trailer, as long as the trailer
isn’t actually loaded to the extent that its
actual weight would exceed the maximum
threshold of the towing vehicle’s maximum
plated train weight.

For example, a towing vehicle with a plated
gross weight of 3 tonnes and a plated train
weight of 5 tonnes, could feasibly tow a
trailer with a maximum gross weight of 3.5
tonnes. However, if both the vehicle and
trailer in the combination were loaded to their
respective maximum gross weights, then the
combination’s maximum train weight would be
exceeded by 1.5 tonnes. It’s the actual weight
of the vehicle and load which is important in
determining a vehicle’s compliance with
legal weight thresholds, not the potential
carrying capacity"
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2017, 08:55   #8
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Jones View Post
That's nuts. By that logic, they could have nicked him for speeding as his vehicle has the capacity to travel at 100 mph even though he may have been traveling well within the limit. I'd have just told them I was delivering the trailer and had no intention of putting a vehicle on it.
Good analogy!

OR you've just driven out of the pub. You've had one shandy but you could have had six pints of Stella...
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Jan 20th, 2017, 10:49   #9
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default B and B+E

Don't know about the UK, but here on the continent it is quite simple:

If you just have B then they can fine you based on just the registration papers of the vehicle and trailer. No matter what the actual weight is, the max allowable trailer weight should be lower than the maximum allowable trailer weight on the vehicle registration. The total allowable mass of car and trailer together should also be less than 3500 kg. This could mean you have to have to downgrade the max trailer weight on the trailer document.

If you have B + E they always have to take you to a weighing bridge to determine the actual trailer weight to see if you are over the limit. With B+E you can legally tow any trailer as long as the ACTUAL weight is below the maximum allowable trailer weight of the towing vehicle.

As long as you are still within the EC I guess this will also be applicable to the UK ;-)
Rversteeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2017, 13:00   #10
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rversteeg View Post
Don't know about the UK, but here on the continent it is quite simple:

If you just have B then they can fine you based on just the registration papers of the vehicle and trailer. No matter what the actual weight is, the max allowable trailer weight should be lower than the maximum allowable trailer weight on the vehicle registration. The total allowable mass of car and trailer together should also be less than 3500 kg. This could mean you have to have to downgrade the max trailer weight on the trailer document.

If you have B + E they always have to take you to a weighing bridge to determine the actual trailer weight to see if you are over the limit. With B+E you can legally tow any trailer as long as the ACTUAL weight is below the maximum allowable trailer weight of the towing vehicle.

As long as you are still within the EC I guess this will also be applicable to the UK ;-)
Not sure how this applies in the UK, but if it was an issue I *think* the offence would be driving otherwise in accordance with license, rather than overweight vehicle.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135