Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Towing question trailer weights

Views : 3347

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 16th, 2017, 20:44   #21
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
Just to confuse the issue I was told no you could not tow a trailer rated above the max towing weight of your vehicle even empty as it had the potential to become over weight if loaded when I did a recent C&G trailer course, unless it was de rated to the correct weight by fitting a new rating plate.

Paul.
That's worrying you were told that on a course as it is entirely without any factual basis.

The plate on the trailer pertains to the load parameters of the trailer - it's nothing to do with whatever vehicle it is attached to.

It is perfectly acceptable and legal to tow a trailer that is plated with a maximum gross weight above the towing capacity of the towing vehicle so long as the actual weight of the trailer is within the vehicles towing limit. Probably 40% or more of HGV's on the road are operated in this configuration.

If the Police or VOSA intend to issues a FPN or prosecute a driver for exceeding the towing capacity or MAM of a vehicle - they must establish what the weight is and that means the use of axle scales or a trip to a weighbridge.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Mar 16th, 2017 at 21:58.
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 21:00   #22
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyship007 View Post
Sounds correct.

If you have a horse box, any Volvo can tow it with just one horse, BUT be careful to check the owners handbook limits and box weight, cos many Volvo's can't tow a box with 2 big horses. So I suppose my horse box should have the placard changed. Alas it does not have one fitted at present.
...or you could swap your horses for donkeys???
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 07:01   #23
green van man
Premier Member

As an aside, it is reconed that 50% of all Ivor Williams trailers on the road today have at sometime in their life been stolen. Many do not have their makers fitted plate on them for this reason.
It could of course of been ligitematly lost but be careful if thinking of buying one without its plate.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 07:34   #24
Baxlin
Old Rocker

"If the Police or VOSA intend to issues a FPN or prosecute a driver for exceeding the towing capacity or MAM of a vehicle - they must establish what the weight is and that means the use of axle scales or a trip to a weighbridge."

Thanks Tannaton,

That's my understanding from speaking with DVLA, and it relates to the whole 'rig' wrt correct licence groups

Last edited by Baxlin; Mar 17th, 2017 at 07:36.
Baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 12:37   #25
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
As an aside, it is reconed that 50% of all Ivor Williams trailers on the road today have at sometime in their life been stolen. Many do not have their makers fitted plate on them for this reason.
It could of course of been ligitematly lost but be careful if thinking of buying one without its plate.
Paul.
I've got a very old (1988) Ifor Williams GD64 which I bought and rebuilt - the plate had been removed and it was before the days that trailers had VIN's and were stamped. Hence I bought a generic plate from e-bay and stamped it myself with information provided by IFT. They were quite helpful and if the trailer is stamped with a VIN they will supply a replacement plate.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 20:53   #26
Whyman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxlin View Post
I've just had to apply for my 'over70' licence, all categories were grandfathered, apart from C1 and D1, which, on my pre 97 Licence allowed me to drive op to 7.5 tonnes. Before submitting my application, I phoned DVLA for clarification of the 3500kg limit, and without C1, it is literally the maximum weight i can drive, this being the same as a post97 licence.

3500kg is the weighbridge weight, including fuel, load, passenger, driver (and his lunch!), and, if your licence allows towing, the weight of the trailer, again including everything in or on it, is part of the 3500kg.

From this, it seems to me that the plated weight of the trailer, for these purposes, is irrelevant, but I suppose the rule of thumb 85% rule, for controllabilty's sake, would still apply.
I was not sure this is correct. I have looked at the you give website which is as clear as mud and the cCaravan Cub website which quite clearly states that after age 70 with a B licence you are allowed to drive any vehicle up to 3500kg, car 4x4 etc towing any weight of trailer that is within the towing limits of the vehicle with the proviso of the 85% rule still applying.
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 22:55   #27
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyman View Post
I was not sure this is correct. I have looked at the you give website which is as clear as mud and the cCaravan Cub website which quite clearly states that after age 70 with a B licence you are allowed to drive any vehicle up to 3500kg, car 4x4 etc towing any weight of trailer that is within the towing limits of the vehicle with the proviso of the 85% rule still applying.
The "85% rule" (i.e. the trailer weight should not be more then 85% of the towing vehicle weight) is a generally well accepted "best practice" for caravans which are big, boxy and subject to a lot of wind forces. It is not the basis of any legislation nor is it a criminal offence to exceed it.

You still read posts on some forums that it is an offence for the trailer to exceed the weight of the towing vehicle - that is an urban myth also (in isolation).
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 23:05   #28
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
The "85% rule" (i.e. the trailer weight should not be more then 85% of the towing vehicle weight) is a generally well accepted "best practice" for caravans which are big, boxy and subject to a lot of wind forces. It is not the basis of any legislation nor is it a criminal offence to exceed it.

You still read posts on some forums that it is an offence for the trailer to exceed the weight of the towing vehicle - that is an urban myth also (in isolation).
I second that. Take my landrover defender 90 td5, the towing limit is far higher than the weight of the landy.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 23:45   #29
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
I second that. Take my landrover defender 90 td5, the towing limit is far higher than the weight of the landy.
Yup - kerb weight approx 2t, max trailer weight 3.5t, MAM > 5t....
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Mar 18th, 2017, 02:52   #30
Baxlin
Old Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyman View Post
"Category B - if you passed your test on or after 1 January 1997

You can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg MAM with up to 8 passenger seats (with a trailer up to 750kg).

You can also tow heavier trailers if the total MAM of the vehicle and trailer isn’t more than 3,500kg.

You can drive motor tricycles with a power output higher than 15kW if you are over 21 years old."

The above is a copy and paste from the DVLA website, the first line still a tad open to interpretation, but the second line quite clear, IMHO.

The over70 licence, without C1 and D1 is the same, for these purposes, as the post-97 version.

Last edited by Baxlin; Mar 18th, 2017 at 02:57.
Baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote