Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Loss of power and limp mode HELP please

Views : 1203

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 31st, 2019, 08:50   #1
Mr M Wales
Old Fart

Unhappy Loss of power and limp mode HELP please

Hi, I was driving in to work today and my 2010 S40 2.0D had a failure. I was overtaking another car and lost full range on my power output. the car didnt stall but the power drop was significant. The Engine service light came on and for the remaining 10 miles to work the car sounded like a bag of ball bearings and would shudder at low speeds, The car wouldnt rev over 2000RPM.

I have and OBDII reader so i plugged it in as it said i had a message but the reader didn't pickup any codes.

A guy i work with gave me another OBDII reader but that to produced no results.

then as the engine was running the service light went away and the car sounded normal again. This has happened once before, before i had the reader hence the reason i got it, incase it did happen again i could read the code and troubleshoot without a hefty bill from Volvo.

I have had much work done on this car, the DPF has been changed the sensor has been changed and the pipe has been changed. It has been well serviced and i Clean the throttle body inlet every 4 or 5 months because if i don't the car on cold days wont start properly.

When the car starts normally and runs it runs with absolutely no issues at all. Then all of sudden this crazy stuff.

Any help appreciated.
Mr M Wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2019, 08:59   #2
domhart10
Volvo S40

I had a similar issue with my previous 2.0D S40, does your car have a map or tuning box on it?

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2019, 09:27   #3
Mr M Wales
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
I had a similar issue with my previous 2.0D S40, does your car have a map or tuning box on it?
No i haven't messed with that at all.

Couple of armchair mechanics here are saying to maybe change the the fuel filters as I haven't changed that in the last service.
Old Jul 31st, 2019, 11:57   #4
domhart10
Volvo S40

yeh it does sound like a fueling issue. Mine was the box which was over fueling and under hard acceleration it felt like hitting a brick wall with the car suddenly and rapidly dropping down to that limp mode speed.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2019, 12:08   #5
Mr M Wales
Old Fart

Smile

I will change the filter it wasn't expensive. Its very odd, the car is running flawlessly now, but I'm wary to boot it incase it happens again. Will see after filter change what happens.

Also I was looking at a new reader for error codes, anyone any advice on Vida readers?

Also I saw one called VXDiag, I think these are connected to a computer. I'm an IT server engineer geek so I can definitely manage that if it's worth the investment

They are below in the Links

http://www.autoobdshop.co.uk/wholesa...BoCZx4QAvD_BwE

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401771660793

Last edited by Mr M Wales; Jul 31st, 2019 at 12:11. Reason: Forgot to add URL Links
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 12:01   #6
SD40

VIDA is good, PITA to set up, but good.

have a read of my post - posted today, see if anything helps.

yours sounds more like a fuel issue, changing the filter made a differance to mine.
SD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 12:17   #7
Mr M Wales
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD40 View Post
VIDA is good, PITA to set up, but good.

have a read of my post - posted today, see if anything helps.

yours sounds more like a fuel issue, changing the filter made a differance to mine.
Thanks, as I'm an IT nerd I have a virtualbox VM installed and managed to download Vida software from swedspeed forum, waiting for my dice box to arrive so I can diagnose the car my self now and in the future.

The fuel filter arrived today so hopefully I will get some time tomorrow to replace it. Car has been running fine since the issue a few days ago, but I haven't been gunning it.
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 13:29   #8
SD40

OK great, its not really a hard install, it is just a bit fussy.

if you are doing the filter change make sure that you have some means of applying suction to the return pipe. the one with i think the green connector, between the engine and the filter housing. after fitting the filter closing up the housing, use the suction to pull the fuel through the filter, pump and distribution assembly. its way easier .
make sure you have the correct socket for the housing or a good fitting one - it can be tight.
SD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 14:13   #9
Mr M Wales
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD40 View Post
OK great, its not really a hard install, it is just a bit fussy.

if you are doing the filter change make sure that you have some means of applying suction to the return pipe. the one with i think the green connector, between the engine and the filter housing. after fitting the filter closing up the housing, use the suction to pull the fuel through the filter, pump and distribution assembly. its way easier .
make sure you have the correct socket for the housing or a good fitting one - it can be tight.
Yes it was a little bit particular but I manage it ok, the VM is ready to rock and roll can't wait to plug in and have a look around.

Thanks for the tip on the suction, not sure how to achieve that but both my lads are mechanics perhaps I will ask one of em to do it. I do like to solve my own issues though even if it's a lesson learned **** show lol.

Neither one has a great deal of time so I don't like to pester them with silly issues like this
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 20:40   #10
SD40

Use a big syringe and silicone tube, or I used a hand pump oil extractor, you know tube down the dip stick and suck up the oil.