Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 HPT or LPT

Views : 1904

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 12th, 2019, 07:22   #21
Thejdizzler

I have been looking again at cars online. If cars advertised as Turbo are HPT. How do you tell the difference between an LPT and a non turbo model?
Thejdizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2019, 09:02   #22
griston64
Premier Member

This is what I was trying to explain yesterday. They can all be advertised by the seller as Turbo's because they are Turbo.

As Luke said yesterday,just buy the best car you can as you are modding it doesn't matter. If you want big power you are probably going to have to bin the turbo anyway

If you really want an HPT ask the seller to take a picture of cam cover and providing the sticker is still there you can determine if it's HPT turbo or LPT turbo. As far as I am aware it's the same turbo with a different actuator. Meaning if you took the actuator off an HPT (165BHP ) car and put it on a LPT (135BHP ) car it would become a 165bhp car

If no sticker on cam cover you can determine what turbo it has by the cars VIN number
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2019, 09:14   #23
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Default LPT with boost gauge

My late (1997/98) LPT has a boost gauge, which just goes to prove that the rules mean nothing (Pace Griston64 about LPTs lacking the gauge).

If the seller can photograph the turbo/exhaust side you'll see which engine spec is fitted; the cam-belt cover can be doctored/removed/missing but the actuator is either present or absent.

It isn't unknown for the head gasket on Turbo cars (LPT or HPT) to fail at around the 160k mark for some reason but it's not a difficult job to do. (I suppose that longitudinally-aligned engines in rear-wheel drive cars are easier to work on than transverse ones.)

As remarked earlier, it's not mileage per se that matters but whether the car's been looked after properly.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2019, 12:02   #24
baggy798
🤍💙💗

There are certain clues which differentiate an LPT.

No boost gauge, no 'VOLVO TURBO' writing on the airbox, cam cover label (B230FK = LPT). When test driven they accelerate like a non-turbo, smooth, no real power (HPT has more of a kick at 2000 RPM when it picks up its skirt, you'll notice).

Ask the seller for the first 8 digits of the VIN number...

YV194581 = LPT
YV194586 = HPT
YV194587 = HPT
Old Sep 12th, 2019, 13:04   #25
mhuk

My LPT goes like stink with it's 19t turbo :-)
mhuk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mhuk For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2019, 13:09   #26
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuk View Post
My LPT goes like stink with it's 19t turbo :-)
Pretty certain Baggy's does as well
Old Sep 13th, 2019, 16:03   #27
Thejdizzler

I am not planning anything too crazy to start with, probably a MBC, strut brace, update the suspension, and exhaust, also heard installing an anti sway bar in the rear helps handling a lot. Cannot decide whether to leave the external looking stock for a true sleeper look. I love the old Volvo steel wheels but thinking something more lightweight would be worth it for improved handling and performance.
Thejdizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2019, 21:28   #28
deeman940
Master Member

Default lpt hpt

HPt or LPt, it doesn't really matter.....
An LPT is 135 bhp, a HPT is 165bhp. a LPT with MBc and gauge running 10psi will be the same, It makes a LPT a bit nippier but still no speed machine,
If you want upwards of 200 bhp you will need to change injectors, turbo, chips etc etc
Factory HPT cars have a boost gauge on dash which isn't much good! HPt cars are more likely to have the G80 locking diff,
You are better off making handle a bit better first, Most start with shocks and springs, then IPD anti roll bars, a member on here makes some nice upper and lower braces which improve handling too, Lower profile tyres are essential, you will never get a good feel with 55 profile rubber!
highish mileage is not a problem as long as there is evidence of regular oil changes, Mine had 150k when i bought it and now has 175k and still going strong, i had to do the head gasket ( common problem) a couple of years back, thats it, The engines are strong as hell and 500,000 miles is not uncommon if kept fairly standard, Hope this helps
Damo

Last edited by deeman940; Sep 13th, 2019 at 21:31.
deeman940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deeman940 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2019, 15:09   #29
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggy798 View Post
There are certain clues which differentiate an LPT.

No boost gauge, no 'VOLVO TURBO' writing on the airbox, cam cover label (B230FK = LPT). When test driven they accelerate like a non-turbo, smooth, no real power (HPT has more of a kick at 2000 RPM when it picks up its skirt, you'll notice).

Ask the seller for the first 8 digits of the VIN number...

YV194581 = LPT
YV194586 = HPT
YV194587 = HPT
I'm really sorry to contradict you, Comrade (as you're based in North Korea and I really don't want a VX facebath), but my LPT has an airbox with "Volvo Turbo" on its airbox as well as the boost gauge.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2019, 17:35   #30
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
I'm really sorry to contradict you, Comrade (as you're based in North Korea and I really don't want a VX facebath), but my LPT has an airbox with "Volvo Turbo" on its airbox as well as the boost gauge.

Interesting. When I first got my car last year Volvo told me it was an HPT from their records.

The full VIN was saying LPT ??

Tags
900, 940, hpt, lpt, turbo