Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Possible S80 1998 purchase

Views : 535

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 11th, 2015, 20:08   #1
heyskull
Heyskull

Default Possible S80 1998 purchase

Hi everybody

I have a friend of a friend selling a 1998 S80 auto with the 2.9 6 cylinder n/a engine.
It only has 87,000 miles with one previous owner.
It has extensive service history and a recent MOT.
The only issue I have been told is that when it kicks down it doesn't feel as fast as it once was.
I currently own a 2000 V70 classic and was wondering this was a good buy or a money pit.
Also is their anything I should be aware of and take note when purchasing.

Thanks
SC
heyskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2015, 20:39   #2
4candles
I've Been Banned

Hi,

given the age the cat may past its best and is beginning to deteriorate, this may explain a loss of go.

Saying that it could simply be needing a proper service, ideally if you are doing it as service history can be a false security.
Lots of guys on here have full service history but many have discovered that basic things like fuel filter have never been replaced!

Spark plugs often get left in if its running ok, but again these wear out and lose their youthful spark.

Almost more important is the automatic gearbox, how does this perform, any thuds, clunks, flaring or reticence to engage a gear, engine revs rising with a loss of drive?
4candles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2015, 21:01   #3
heyskull
Heyskull

So it is more an issue with the auto box than the engine?

SC
Old Dec 11th, 2015, 21:12   #4
4candles
I've Been Banned

Although i have recently purchased my first Volvo with an auto box, i am not in the same league as some very knowledgable chaps here, all wisdom borne out of personal bitter experiences.

If they work they are good, but conversely some can give a lot of problems, it really depends on its life treatment.
If its been used for towing that can cause untimely wear if no other suitable precautions were taken.

What i've read here that seem to be of critical importance is the duration of the road test, minimum 30 minutes to get the box fully hot which may highlight a problem not felt at 15 minutes.

Your potential purchase may be absolutely tickety boo on this front, but only an uncomfortabley (from the prospective sellers view) long test will truly tell if it's good or not.
4candles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 07:47   #5
heyskull
Heyskull

It looks like either a ETM fault which I think is a simple job.
Or the transmission issue may be a very expensive problem as I have read these have a lot of problems.

SC
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 12:16   #6
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Hello, On what do you base these two possible conclusions?

Over here (No. America) the 1998's were the last to have a cable controlled throttle. The ETM's came out in 1999. Be certain what you have.

Also in 1998 Volvos (here) had the 4 speed transmission not the 5. As you're aware it was the earlier 5 speeds which had the record of problems.
While it's not much of a consolation, the 4 speed unit is cheaper to fix should need be. Which is in this car?
Also, not all of these earlier units has "a lot of problems". Many have none. Many have enjoyed GREATLY IMPROVED operation with the simple refreshment of fluid.

Hmmm....a '98 w/87K = <5K per year. That's <100 miles per week.
4c is right. Change the sparky-poos, fuel filter, dose the tank with some good fuel system cleaner, drop the transmission oil and refill at least once to see its colour. Then take it out and flog it.

If the seller is a friend of a friend he shouldn't mind a good long test drive.
If he does, tell him to drive his precious car into the lake.

Trust the seller because he's a "foaf". He volunteered that the car doesn't "jump on it" as heartily as it once did.

How much is he asking? Everybody here skips that part. Kira
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 19:13   #7
portuguese
frustrated bi-fuel owner

Must be a bargain if he is selling for the £150 that he gets for scrap. Might not be worth much more. Maybe 250 or 300, as what I paid for mine.

Not sure why you consider (in the UK) a car even older then what you already have. Cars here are quite affordable and when they reach the age of yours and mine, its risking a money pit just keeping them and paying their tax, in my opinion.

I bought a S80 bifuel 2002 in a kind of a bargain also a couple of months ago.
£350, plus 100 to collect it. Plus 150 for the MOT. Plus £200 trying to get the LPG to work, and I have one window not working, badly closed, that would cost me some £200 to repair it... There are some lights complaining about the auto clutch, I dont even want to imagine what it is!

If I want to get rid of it, only for scrap, getting those £150 and wasting all I spent reparing it. And its not a classic, as a Jag to keep and do restoration, there are so many S80 in my street it gets boring.

I believe that I just bough a very expensive, safe and rolling sound system (I am overwhelmed with the quality of the speakers).

Mine is also automatic and spends 22mpg (13 L/100km) because I try to drive as economic as possible!

2002 Volvo S80 bi-fuel estate
1999 Astra van LPG fitted
1984 Cherokee V6 2.8 LPG
portuguese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2015, 05:09   #8
heyskull
Heyskull

Thanks for the info everyone.

I have decided to pass on this mainly due to the friend of a friend saying:-
"If I didn't want it, it was getting scrapped"!!!
This instantly rang alarm bells as it had a MOT only 2 weeks ago and the sluggish kick down was supposedly the only issue!
He only wanted £230 for the thing but in my eyes their was more issues than he was admitting.

I am guessing this may have been a potential money pit and a lot more expensive to run and not as versatile as my V70.

SC