Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Clutch *DMF - list of items to order

Views : 1925

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 15th, 2015, 16:30   #11
2.4TSE
Master Member

Thank you again, Backo and Symes - and D5meister for the interesting video.

I just ordered a kit from Techniclutch that comprises the following items:

DMF
New DMF bolts
Clutch assembly
Concentric slave cylinder
Release bearing

All parts are LuK items and were ordered over the telephone as the ebay shop doesn't list the P2 2.4T.

Total cost £640 including delivery vs £695+£DMF bolts+£Release bearing that I had previously found.

Now to order a new rear crank seal, new driveshaft seals and new subframe stretch bolts; I'll buy OEM items for these.

2008 C30 T5 SE Sport R-Design | Dynaudio | BLIS | Winter Pack | Towbar | Parking Control | Keyless | 18" Atreus
2.4TSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2015, 20:06   #12
4candles
I've Been Banned

Do you have a labour quote from your village garage folk?

Most businesses rely on a little profit from parts so they may 're-fill' their their fountain pens when doing your invoice seen as that avenue of profit is unavailable......
4candles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2015, 20:43   #13
2.4TSE
Master Member

No labour quote - only the trust we have built over the years.

The last job they did was to fit two new front struts, a set of four drop links and a new exhaust system from the cat back for which they charged me £132+VAT - which I thought very reasonable.

Then - as now - I provided the parts at their suggestion because I was very specific about exactly what I wanted as opposed to simply OEM or generic motor factor stuff.

2008 C30 T5 SE Sport R-Design | Dynaudio | BLIS | Winter Pack | Towbar | Parking Control | Keyless | 18" Atreus
Old Oct 15th, 2015, 20:56   #14
4candles
I've Been Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.4TSE View Post
No labour quote - only the trust we have built over the years.

The last job they did was to fit two new front struts, a set of four drop links and a new exhaust system from the cat back for which they charged me £132+VAT - which I thought very reasonable.

Then - as now - I provided the parts at their suggestion because I was very specific about exactly what I wanted as opposed to simply OEM or generic motor factor stuff.
well thats very cheap!

There is no cheaper system than the one i bought at £88 delivered so you got 2 new struts and four drop links for just £71inc. Vat, fitted!
Far and away the best deal of the century...respect!

Oh, just realised you bought the parts... still good.

glasses, should use them really...

Last edited by 4candles; Oct 15th, 2015 at 21:13.
4candles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2015, 10:52   #15
savabill
Master Member

Blame poor candle light.

NOW 59 REG 2.5T V70 Ice White

SOLD 55 REG T5 V70 Ruby Red
savabill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to savabill For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 16th, 2015, 13:13   #16
Backo

Quote:
Originally Posted by D5meister View Post
This vid is close to yours praps?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp5KeAQntGM
Yep, I've watched that one, and here's the question:
“Without the use of this tool (to compress the spring), the automatic adjusting mechanism may be activated, making the clutch permanently inoperative…” - any ideas as to why and how likely? Is it just the potential for distortion from uneven tightening or is there something more complicated, that my lame eyes don't see?

Cheers
Backo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2015, 18:55   #17
Symes
Master Member

Hi Backo,

I hadn't seen a self adjusting clutch like that one, but the video does talk about the adjuster billet which might also be visible in the pic you posted(in 3) places round the edge.

If it is a self adjuster, then it will need preloading by the look of things..... not as easy to do as the other version whhich can effectively be locked up whilst fitting...
Old Oct 16th, 2015, 19:34   #18
D5meister
Premier Member

I hear stories of self adjusters slipping within 6 mths if just bolted on without resetting.

The Clutch vendor will say on the box what you must do.

my type -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zT2mGAvT1M

zoom to 3:16

Last edited by D5meister; Oct 16th, 2015 at 19:58.
D5meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2015, 15:38   #19
2.4TSE
Master Member

Thumbs up

To close off the thread.

The cause of the clunk was two-fold; the nearside driveshaft inner joint was heavily worn (because it was tiddling down with rain at the time I only checked the offside when prompted above!) and the DMF was on its last legs as I guessed. Lots more play than when new.

I collected the car today and it is a peach to drive again; no clunk, drive train slack as new and with a smooth gear change courtesy of clean clutch plate splines.

Other remarks:

> The original clutch plate still had a gazillion miles of life left in it; massess of thickness and no glazing to the plate or the flywheel as proof that I don't ride the clutch!
> the concentric slave cylinder was externally bone dry - no sign at all of impending failure after 120k miles - but the clutch release bearing had a pronounced lip. It had certainly seen better days.

Thanks again for the help in this post.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 2.4TSE For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2015, 22:59   #20
Backo

And a final note from me

Only after "Techniclutch" sent me wrong kit (one with smaller central opening of the friction plate) did I found out the massive campaign against them ran by unhappy customers... Nevermind, they replaced it promptly with correct set, just this time it was Valeo rather than Luk.
They also sent another slave cylinder, which I didn't ask for, so if anybody's after new clutch slave cylinder let me know.

Also the new Powerflex engine tie-bar bushes obviously transmit significantly more vibes to the chassis, but that's another story.

Cheers
Backo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Backo For This Useful Post: