Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Low fuel pressure will not wont start d5 2002

Views : 8214

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 6th, 2015, 16:02   #11
Jack5cylinder

Yes matey I was thinking imoblizer I thought that would stop crank tho ?.any way I got one of thoses yesterday after reading and reading and reading other post ..two seconds to change both are lighting up green still no difference i have tryed with both areals

EM lights constantly stays on brother even when my qauges play up
Jack5cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2015, 16:12   #12
Jack5cylinder

It does say alarm system service requiedd is this just the Alarm box under front near side wheel arch cover. I get no siran when alarm is activated I take it the batteries have leaked In side the alarm box .. Would this stop me from starting
Old Dec 6th, 2015, 16:17   #13
cheshired5
Premier Member

A Euro3 163 D5 can happily start and run with no fuel pump if you set up a temporary "fuel tank" in the engine bay (jar of diesel) and connect it directly to the HP pump feed and injector return lines like this.

If it starts and runs like this, your low pressure fuel system is faulty so pump, filter etc.

If it still won't start, you're no further forward.

The alarm has nothing to do with it so forget that avenue.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2015, 16:22   #14
Jack5cylinder

Desiel purge is this u in the video ??

Is this a way off cutting the fuel filter and pipe work out il have to give it a try

What about my em light staying on is this meant to go out whil cranking

Last edited by Jack5cylinder; Dec 6th, 2015 at 16:25.
Old Dec 6th, 2015, 16:31   #15
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack5cylinder View Post
Desiel purge is this u in the video ??

Is this a way off cutting the fuel filter and pipe work out il have to give it a try

What about my em light staying on cheers
Yes that's a screenshot from my Diesel Purge video.

Yes this isolates the low pressure delivery side of the fuel system but you must ensure the fuel is primed from the jar right up to inserting in the HP pump feed.
If you have too large an air gap in your temporary feed pipe, it won't start.

The orange light staying on during cranking can be a tricky one.
My car starts perfectly but the engine light won't go out until the engine has started so yours staying on is not conclusive
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2015, 18:14   #16
Jack5cylinder

Sound mate nice one, Yeh I wl try got loads of fuel lines and ect lying about in the garage

What would you say about fuel pressure sensor failing false pressure to ecu or to the fuel control valve I don't know were it send the information about the pressure

Also what would you recommend on leak testing the injectors as its doesn't idle lol
They wouldn't be leaking into the cylinder thjs would cause a misfire or smoke ?

My pal said he had a gauge cluster out of a 2003 would This plug into my car or does it need to be same year

Regards
Old Dec 6th, 2015, 18:17   #17
Jack5cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan W View Post
A leak back test of the injectors is easy to do and would at least eliminate them. 40 cc a minute at idle is the generally accepted limit. If one is leaking badly the rail will not develop starting pressure.
I can't get the car to idle do i use easy start for a minute ? Or is there a pesific amount of fuel for a leak test on a car that just turns via the starter Motor many thanks.
Old Dec 6th, 2015, 18:17   #18
Jack5cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack5cylinder View Post
I can't get the car to idle do i use easy start for a minute ? Or is there a pesific amount of fuel for a leak test on a car that just turns via the starter Motor many thanks.
Sorry about spelling
Old Dec 6th, 2015, 19:23   #19
cheshired5
Premier Member

A badly leaking injector is obvious so you could just remove the return lines from the injector tops and observe the injectors during cranking.
A defective injector will almost certainly spurt a noticeable amount of diesel compared to maybe a dribble from the others.

I remembered this thread from a year ago which took until comment #73 before being resolved.
That was the HP pump but it is more rare.
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=217377
Old Dec 6th, 2015, 19:43   #20
Jack5cylinder

Yeah I have done that tbh I done leak of teat before on old ford tdci on my van that wouldn't start that was crank sensor

Got me mate to sit in and turn her over all leak off nipples removed very little I mean very litie fuel coming out on all 5 seem pretty mint to my previous tinkering

Sorry you did already tell me to try those two sensors lol heads up my ...

So can I rip my pump out and check it for the same failed pump you show on that good thread or am I just waiting for new sensors mite just go salvage yard in morning they got two d5s there s60 2002 don't know weathe they will be duud sensors of u know what I mean

Also opersite end of the fuel rail there is a safety release vale are these know to be at fault
sometimes

It's just on live data it's doesn't go above 3000kps it's got to be 30000 that is a dramatic lost in pressure I belive my self I just don't know I'm not really machinly minded

Many thanks for your replys

Last edited by Jack5cylinder; Dec 6th, 2015 at 19:53.