Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

0W30 or 5W30

Views : 55479

Replies : 194

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 11th, 2021, 07:33   #121
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynns hubby View Post
Wow, what an interesting thread. For what its worth, I personally stick with what Volvo recommend for my 07 XC70 D5 144K on the clock. It doesn't use any oil between changes.
If you use the good old ***bay sight, a genuine service kit can be bought from main dealers at reasonable prices. This is genuine parts, filters etc and Volvo Oil (yes I know Volvo don't produce their own oil). Lets face it, Its not like you are changing the oil every 6000 miles as was the norm before these high mileage oils were developed.
The price of this oil is also nothing like it used to be when it was first developed.
As has been seen throughout this thread, many peoples millage is well over the "warranty" period.
As has been said many times, Volvo invested a lot of money to get the best oil for their engine.
I would rather pay the extra (which is not a lot now compared to a few years ago) and have piece of mind that I have used what Volvo recommends.
The oil supplied by volvo will be decent oil, but manufacturer own bottled oils are made to spec to cost, not the same as a premium oil from a premium manufacturer. They will be made by someone like Total, Fuchs, Shell, Castrol etc and again is decent oil, but oil made to a singular spec for a singular end user for std road use is a different kettle of fish to a top-end oil. Further Volvo spec A5/B5 which is a base standard ACEA spec not a manufacturers extension and improvement thereof.
Again, just so you dont misconstrue what I'm saying, you are getting a decent quality oil in the volvo bottle so this is indeed a good route to take to ensure you aren't using crap 👍

Last edited by AndyV7o; Mar 11th, 2021 at 09:14.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2021, 10:19   #122
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Wow, what an interesting thread. For what its worth, I personally stick with what Volvo recommend for my 07 XC70 D5 144K on the clock. It doesn't use any oil between changes.
If you use the good old ***bay sight, a genuine service kit can be bought from main dealers at reasonable prices. This is genuine parts, filters etc and Volvo Oil (yes I know Volvo don't produce their own oil). Lets face it, Its not like you are changing the oil every 6000 miles as was the norm before these high mileage oils were developed.
The price of this oil is also nothing like it used to be when it was first developed.
As has been seen throughout this thread, many peoples millage is well over the "warranty" period.
As has been said many times, Volvo invested a lot of money to get the best oil for their engine.
I would rather pay the extra (which is not a lot now compared to a few years ago) and have piece of mind that I have used what Volvo recommends.
Indeed , yes volvo don't MAKE the oil but Castrol and volvo work together on developing the oil , hence the unique formulation 0w/20 oil on cars from 2015 VCC RBS0-2AE 0W-20
Old Mar 11th, 2021, 14:25   #123
oilman
Trader

Quote:
I agree you cannot go wrong with Volvo branded parts and oil etc, it can make things easier for many owners.

However, when it comes to oil Volvo recommend a specification may it be ACEA A5/B5 or RBS0-2AE. As long as the oil meets the correct Volvo approval, viscosity and from a reputable brand it will be fine.

Cheers,

Guy
phone: 01209 202944

oilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2021, 14:31   #124
oilman
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
The oil supplied by volvo will be decent oil, but manufacturer own bottled oils are made to spec to cost, not the same as a premium oil from a premium manufacturer. They will be made by someone like Total, Fuchs, Shell, Castrol etc and again is decent oil, but oil made to a singular spec for a singular end user for std road use is a different kettle of fish to a top-end oil. Further Volvo spec A5/B5 which is a base standard ACEA spec not a manufacturers extension and improvement thereof.
Again, just so you dont misconstrue what I'm saying, you are getting a decent quality oil in the volvo bottle so this is indeed a good route to take to ensure you aren't using crap 👍
I agree many toll blended oils are done to a lower cost, but not all are. For example the VAG Quantum range is currently made by Fuchs and is not a special brew, it is re-bottled Fuchs product.

Sometimes it is cheaper to use one of their existing recepies than it is to create a new one that has to be blended in its own production run, may it be higher or lower spec/quality.

Cheers,

Guy

The Following User Says Thank You to oilman For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2021, 15:05   #125
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman View Post
I agree many toll blended oils are done to a lower cost, but not all are. For example the VAG Quantum range is currently made by Fuchs and is not a special brew, it is re-bottled Fuchs product.

Sometimes it is cheaper to use one of their existing recepies than it is to create a new one that has to be blended in its own production run, may it be higher or lower spec/quality.

Cheers,

Guy
Yep!
An A5/B5 isn't going to be Volvo's special brew, could be magnatec, supersyn, or an oil with less additives required meet other vehicle approvals which differ from ACEA etc. We just don't know what, other than its decent.
I just get a bit vexed by this misconception that Volvo have exclusive unicorn oil...👍
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2021, 15:58   #126
BlueDevil

(warning: some rant included)

I guess I had luck, because dealer wanted to charge me double per litre than what I could find directly in an oil shop retail. They quoted me 6 ltr of 0w20 (Castrol Edge Professional V) and when I gogled that I found it in 6 other sources for half a price literally. Between those 6 sources, all of whom offered it in bottles of 1 ltr, I chose the one closest to home, since the price difference among them was like 25 eurocents per litre, so nothing to worry about.

I halved the price, which came close to 100€ of "discount". But I never understood why? I mean, the dealer must have that oil in barrels, since it goes to so many engines. I am sure they get the price per ltr that I can only dream of, they've gotta be using 1000s of liters per year - so why pumping it up so much?
I got it at roughtly 12,7€ per litre, and they wanted to sell it to me at approx 24,2€ per litre - what the hell? Why? If I can get it in shop, walk-in and buy off the shelf, for 24,2 then they have to pay like 10-12€ per litre, right?* Pumping it up from 10-12 to 20 makes a good profit for them, and they stillk would come up cheaper than what I can get, thus making me buy it from them. Heck, even if they've put it the same as I can get, I'd take it from them, to save me the trip to the shop. But no, they had to pump it up incredibly.

It was a big service for me, belt and all, and the second most expensive thing in their offer was engine oil. 1st one was labor,m of course, counting 8 hrs for everything, and that is what it is. But for 6 ltr oil to be the 2nd most expensive thing on a big service bill? C'mon...
Old Mar 11th, 2021, 16:14   #127
oilman
Trader

They are not known as "stealers" for nothing!

But you are correct they just add a big margin to it, and most customers do not bat an eye lid about it. Most just pay for the service and think nothing more of it.

We do oil and filter service packs, the right spec oil, the right amount and a filter all in one purchase. They are very popular with customers who have looked at what the dealer charges and is looking to take in their own oil to save on service charges.

Cheers,

Guy

Old Mar 11th, 2021, 22:12   #128
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman View Post
I agree you cannot go wrong with Volvo branded parts and oil etc, it can make things easier for many owners.

However, when it comes to oil Volvo recommend a specification may it be ACEA A5/B5 or RBS0-2AE. As long as the oil meets the correct Volvo approval, viscosity and from a reputable brand it will be fine.

Cheers,

Guy
RBS0-2AE 0w/20 Is volvo and Castrols unique formulation specification .. They developed the oil together for the New VEA Engines in 2014 . It is available from many oil manufacturers now .
Old Mar 12th, 2021, 09:11   #129
oilman
Trader

Indeed, based around ACEA C5 if I remember correctly.

Cheers,

Guy

Old Mar 12th, 2021, 09:43   #130
5cilinder
Premier Member

If people want to pay those insane prices for their indulgence of the volvo church, then they deserve the pain in the ass

Its the same with the covid cult , people want to belong to a group even with the insane price to pay afterworths presented by the incompetent corrupt polliticians
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote