Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ford Motors in difficulty?

Views : 2192

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 10:36   #31
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0bzy View Post
...the thought of a Ford Cincequento is beyond belief!!!
It's almost here...

http://cars.uk.msn.com/News/car_news...mentid=4384092

Five or six-speed manual gearboxes are standard, and it shares its platform with the next generation Ford Ka.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 12:50   #32
m0bzy
Master Member

With Fiats record of shared platforms,they made the Croma and Saab used the same platform for the 9000,Croma has largely disappeared thank heaven but there are many 9000's still going strong,I think there is still every chance of both offerings from Ford and Fiat best forgotten,now if they fitted a Fiat engine in the Ka,things could be brighter.
m0bzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 13:00   #33
GMcL
0's and 1's

Unfortunately, I don't think we'd get the best Fiat engine in the Ka, the 1.3 multijet diesel, due to Fiat building these engines for GM and Ford being tied in with PSA group for 1.4TDi engine.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 10:53   #34
worzel

Smile

like paul clark I am no lover of ford cars (had one once swore I'd never buy another)
had a rover 400 reliable motor and not a bad interior thanks mainly to its honda influence but when that k series engine cylinder head goe's no one can see for miles.
a friend of mine recently bought a volvo v 50 and asked how much of the car is ford and he was assured only the chasis which is out of a ford mondeo
if the volvos start getting chaper looking interiors or become less reliable people will buy something else and blame the ford input and will not return for about 20 years (just ask vauxhall)>
you only have to look at mecedes when thay tried to sell more cars by making them cheaper the reliability fell as did their rating in the jd power survey.
I heard on the radio that b.m.w were looking at buying volvo but ford were unlikely to sell its prize asset. anyone else heard
worzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 01:17   #35
Conehead

I watched a prog a few months back that explained the problem with fords losses is more to do with the benefits that the unions have managed to acheive for their workers with us companys.

It explained that they were effectively paying people to sit at home because of these deals and this actually meant to compete with the japs meant selling their cars for a 2 grand loss whilst the other brands made 1K at the same level.

It was something to do with agreeing to lots of things when times were good and they were desperate for workers , and now times aren't so good they unions have them by the curly's still.

Totally agree with the handling of ford's cars as they are quite chuckable, but the suspension is a compromise with a poor ride quality especially in the back. Certainly don't see it as a bad thing that we share chassis, as most other compenents are used on different cars regardless of brand.

A lot of the modern diesel components are made by delphi , who have contracts with ford and peugeot citreon.