Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Old boy drives into my parked car

Views : 4817

Replies : 84

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 16th, 2007, 20:31   #21
bigandquick
Premier Member

Hi
Sorry to hear about your car - I know how you feel.
I think you may have problems though (just to sound different from the previous posts!). Not wanting to sound like a smart Alec, your insurers may well turn around and say they stipulate a timescale in which to inform them, you've exceeded it, it's a breach of policy terms, sorry we can't help.
On the issue of reporting it to the police; firstly it was a non-injury, so there was no legal rquirement to inform them. If you try to involve them at this stage on the grounds of the other party failing to provide insurance details then make sure you provided yours, or they'll just turn it around and shoot it straight back at you.
Do you have independent witnesses? I get the idea that after this length of time they'll just deny it ever happened.

I think you have 2 options:
1 go on bended knee to your insurers, claim naivity and say the other party persuaded you to go along with their idea
2 send some heavies round

Good luck

'16 XC60 SE Lux Nav
bigandquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 20:37   #22
bigandquick
Premier Member

Just an afterthought. If your insurers are happy to take it on you won't need his insurance details. Your insurers can find them, leaving him to get an earful off his insurers as to why he never reported an accident to them.

'16 XC60 SE Lux Nav
bigandquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 20:44   #23
lee enfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
Self Righteous? not you lol............

Cheers
Not at all, but its a fact the old bar steward who could have well killed me last year would have been safely off the road if mandatory medicals for the aged were in force ,why do think for example you can no longer operate as a commercial pilot after the age of sixty? ,not that im comparing driving a nissan micra to piloting a b767, but you see the point, age brings a rapid loss of reaction, sight, hearing etc which needs to be assesed, many old scroats are very fit and able to cope with driving but many are not

Last edited by lee enfield; May 16th, 2007 at 20:50.
lee enfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 21:13   #24
Engineer
Rubbing son is racing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee enfield View Post
Not at all, but its a fact the who could have well killed me last year would have been safely off the road if mandatory medicals for the aged were in force ,why do think for example you can no longer operate as a commercial pilot after the age of sixty? ,not that im comparing driving a nissan micra to piloting a b767, but you see the point, age brings a rapid loss of reaction, sight, hearing etc which needs to be assesed, many old scroats are very fit and able to cope with driving but many are not
I agree, but why do you continue to use descriptions such as old bar stewards etc. when refering to senior peeps? I think your a chav mate, how does that make you feel? Stereotyped? lol.................

We are way off topic now I guess but just to make you think about the comments posted by you and by others and what they might mean to some folks, I buried an old friend a few years ago who unfortunately died of ill health aged 80, but up to a week before still rode a Superbike and would probably have put you to shame regarding road craft and hazard observation. As I said, stereotype at your peril

Cheers
Old May 16th, 2007, 21:29   #25
st5ve
S60 R

Thanks to all for the support advice, I have now informed my insurance company. They did not have any problems with me reporting it late so may be ok on that front.

The car is ok to drive but I am not driving it at the mo, using my 940 instead. They may well write my T5 off not sure, will let you all know how this develops.

This old gent came across as a decent chap, an old gentleman that you would take his word as gen.

The insurance company said they don't need his insurance details as they will be able to trace on the register.
st5ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 21:33   #26
lee enfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
I agree, but why do you continue to use descriptions such as old bar stewards etc. when refering to senior peeps? I think your a chav mate, how does that make you feel? Stereotyped? lol.................

We are way off topic now I guess but just to make you think about the comments posted by you and by others and what they might mean to some folks, I buried an old friend a few years ago who unfortunately died of ill health aged 80, but up to a week before still rode a Superbike and would probably have put you to shame regarding road craft and hazard observation. As I said, stereotype at your peril

Cheers
Your opinion of me bothers me not a jot if you wish to resort to personnal insults go ahead, thats your problem , it doesnt change the fact these old duffers need medically examining once they reach old age ,common sense really, you friend who recently croaked may well have been a far more skillfull driver /rider than myself, that also doesnt change the fact most at that age are not up to driving on todays roads for exactly the same reasons i no longer can play squash or shoot at the level i did fifteen years ago, sad, but thats life im afraid
Old May 16th, 2007, 21:38   #27
V70 driver
V70 driver

Default wrong

Wrong Lee, you can fly until you are 65, with certain restrictions and depending on where you are flying to, over and your alternates.
Some countries allow a straight 65, some say the F/O can be 65 the skipper must be younger than 60.
Cheers
V70 driver

[QUOTE=lee enfield;239678]why do think for example you can no longer operate as a commercial pilot after the age of sixty? ,not that im comparing driving a nissan micra to piloting a b767,
V70 driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 21:47   #28
lee enfield

[QUOTE=V70 driver;239709]Wrong Lee, you can fly until you are 65, with certain restrictions and depending on where you are flying to, over and your alternates.
Some countries allow a straight 65, some say the F/O can be 65 the skipper must be younger than 60.
Cheers
V70 driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee enfield View Post
why do think for example you can no longer operate as a commercial pilot after the age of sixty? ,not that im comparing driving a nissan micra to piloting a b767,
I stand corrected, thanks v70, sixty five then ,but the point remains at that age your considered unfit to function as a commercial pilot for very good reasons, no ones saying you shouldnt drive after that age, but you should be subject to a strict medical

Last edited by lee enfield; May 16th, 2007 at 21:52.
Old May 16th, 2007, 23:47   #29
paulstorer

As far as I am aware, and correct me if I'm wrong, it is not the law to pass on insurance details at the scene of an accident; names and addresses suffice (according to the local police station).

Your options are as follows:

A) Send a letter to the bloke (recorded, to the elderly one who hit you) enclosing photocopies of the quotes you've received. Make it quite clear that they should cough up the money for it within a 'reasonable period of time' (determined by most judges as 14 days at the most lenient) else you shall 'take legal action via the county court service'.

Then pay for the repairs yourself, if you can, and promptly take him to the small claims court, and you'll win the case.

or...

B) Call helphire (www.helphire.co.uk) and let them do the headache-y parts (paying then pursuing), as long as you trust the bodyshop it ends up going to (see my multiple posts on the issue). They've usually been good, it's the bodyshop that gave me grief when something similar happened to my car.

Either way, you don't risk losing NCD or an excess. And helphire will give you something nice and quick in the meantime!

Sounds like you've been more than reasonable with these guys.

Hope this is of some small use. I have a fair deal of experience in dealing with non-fault accidents so feel free to PM me if I can be of any use.

Paul

1999 V70 2.4 SE Auto
1997 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 100 16v
1990 Mercedes-Benz 300E-24
paulstorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 00:23   #30
John Davies
VOC Member

Any reasonable person, having caused an accident, should should expect to have their insurance details to hand. You seem to be getting the run around.

I would report them to the police as unfit to drive - what they do with that report is up to them - and deal with this shower through your insurers. I doubt you will get any joy otherwise. Make sure you do so before they have their car repaired and say the accident never happened!

I do believe there should be compulsory medicals after age 70 on a two yearly basis- but we can all have accidents. So please can we stop being ageist?
John   Davies is offline   Reply With Quote